Thai Business Seating

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

• Anonymous

Freedom1
    Participant

Hi All

Just booked biz class with Thai airways on a few routes between india, thailand and singapore. I am on a mixture of 744, 333 and 772 aircraft. Not having flown Thai for sometime, was wandering what the state of their seating is ? Are all these aircraft with the newer seating or are there any horrors awaiting me ? ? Tried to make sense of their website but just got even more confused as to what to expect.

Any info will be appreciated

JackyLek
    Participant

Flying Thais these days is like Bingo, they have very mix about their fleet. But if U fly the new 333 and 345 + 346 is the newer products. So be aware every time, I just now that even the AC and seats can be crap, but the crew and the food is always lovely! Good Luck!

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone!!

Hi Jacky–you might have read in other previous comments on different threads regarding TG’s inconsistency in providing a planned aircraft —-it is always a surprise to see a different aircraft than planned. But it seems it is a part of TG’s policy–But this inconsistency is absolutely a dismay when you booked a premium fare for a long haul flight und you get an old seat with obsolete functions–even the best TG inflight service would not compensate your anger and deceptions and especially your lost comfort onboard.

Freedom1
    Participant

Indeed.. i only booked a week ago and one sector was on a 340-600 and is already been changed to a 333!! Just praying i get lucky and get a ride on one of the new ones. All the 747’s have been refitted with new seats havent they ?

Hess963
    Participant

Hi Freedom1

I am not sure–as far as I know in the past TG used oftenly old generation 747 and seatings( really old and absolutely obsolete) in routes to Copenhagen( here the old F cabin is sold as C cabin and the old C cabin is sold as Prem. Y cabin) and probably to HKG-TPE or PVG which F cabin is sold. It depends on TG on day to day basis if the old aircraft with old seatings are operated on that route and on that day. This “747 gamble” might affect the BKK-SYD for F cabins as well–although A340-600 is planned to be used who knows when they will used the 747–just hope it is not the old seatings in F as it will be absolutely a terrible seat and experience for a premium fare.

tarisingh
    Participant

this all sounds terrible! I am flying to SYD with them in a couple of weeks, I’ve been told the LHR – BKK sector is always with the new seat , has any one had a different experience?

JackyLek
    Participant

LHR-BKK with the new seats on F and C but Y seats without its own TV, but the seat pitch is good. Thai use 747 on these routes, so the AC is old Im afraid. From Europe Thai have two routes that I know that they use A346 Zurich and Oslo. But they will switch the Oslo routes to 777 soon. On Sydney sector is more hard to tell since they tend to switch the A/C .

Senator
    Participant

Hi..

As someone pointed out, TG has a many different configurations serving Europe. In Europe, they use to my knowledge

ARN, CPH – Old 747 (perhaps 300 series) with old F sold as C, and old C sold as Premium Y. Scandinavia is not a big F market.

OSL – A340-500 originally procured for EWR-BKK direct with C, Premium Y, and Y

ZRH – A340-600 with new F, C, and Y (been on this in C and F, good product)

LHR, FRA, MUC – 747-400 with new F and C. Don’t know what Y is like.

Other European destinations like FCO, I don’t know.

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone!!

I have checked with TG about the aircraft used for FCO and MXP for Nov.09–it is planned to use B747 to FCO and B777 to MXP. But as we have known better now–there is no guarantee that it stays like this.

Baggageinhall
    Participant

Seating to/from India

I flew DEL-BKK earlier in the year in Business Class. It was served by the 777-300 that were yet to be refurbished. The seating is 2x3x2 (which, by the way is a useful way of discovering if you are on an old config aircraft).

The seats are the very old style armchair/cradle type J class seats with quite limited legroom.

My flight was light enough that everyone/couple had 2/3 seats between them. If however, you were in an aisle seat and your neighbour wanted to get out whilst the seats in front were reclined, you would be treated to a rather intimate lapdance as they squirmed over you.

My journey is documented in a trip report that appears on a different site. Not sure of the rules re linking to another site. However, if you Google

baggageinhall trip report india thai

you will find it.

Hess963
    Participant

Hi Baggageinhall !!

Thank you for sharing your flight experiences !! I have read your trip report over INDIA in F with other airlines including TG in J and F .The pictures of the meals are very nice and your report is quite exciting to read.

Keep up the good spirit and more wonderful flights for you !!

Hess

npchuaMY
    Participant

I travel frequently between KUL-BKK with TG in C class. From my experience, TG never stay with the aircraft type according to their timetable. It can be any widebody plane in their fleet of A300-600, A330, A345/346 or B772 / 773. They also have different seat configuration for the same aircraft type, some with new seats, some with old seats; so you won’t know what is your seat like before boarding.

r ryan
    Participant

I used to be a frequent TG flyer SYD-ZRH but gave up when they deleted First from Sydney and found their business offering SYD-BKK inconsistent. they have two versions of their ‘upgraded’ 777 they fly to Syd – one with 2-3-2 and one with 2-2-2. the 2-3-2 is not comfortable, and has even slightly less legroom than the 2-2-2. however as others have noted aircraft substitution is the order of the day with TG, and they have a truly tight 2-3-2 regional 777 that can be pressed into service without warning. if you cop this on the overnight from BKK you cannot sleep – very close, recliner seats. they still have 6 old 747’s in the fleet which as others have noted are sold as J, premium economy and economy, but if you are unlucky with A/C change that suddenly becomes F, J and economy. even their best J class is borderline in my view – the slope is quite steep on the seat – but you still pay full $$$ whether you get that or go down 1 or 2 levels. they have too many aircraft with substandard seating to be relied upon. and i do have memories of a flight years ago when the 747 was changed to a regional 777 BKK-SYD – i was downgraded from first to (regional) business – and TG point blank refused to offer any compensation whatsoever saying it was a discounted First ticket, despite it being completely open dated and refundable

Freedom1
    Participant

basically its a total lottery then !! 🙂

Well my longest sector is just under 4 hours so im not overly concerened. More a wish of a great seat as i have flown many times with Thai but only in economy where they are in my opinion a clear winner in terms of service and food in that class, so i got high hopes for biz class!!!

Thanks for all info guys

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls