Terminal Madness at LHR

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Anonymous

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

I known some people taken the mick of me by saying that BA would have to move in to LHR East or T2 what ever you want to call it but it be called T2.

I herd this a couple of mouths ago about BA moving more in to T1 and even they will be taking over T1 so BA have T5 and T1. I am not sure what is happing but it possible for T1 to say where it and have the New T2 as the new T2 dos not go over the T1 footprint. One BA person told me that they be taking it over if they can’t get in T2, from what the guy told me and other people working for BA is that T5 is set to be come Non EU Terminal for BA and T1 to be come the domestic and EU Terminal. From what I was told that they plan to leave T3 guessing this is a cost thing having T5, T3 and T1.

Again when I said this before that there is no Room for all of One world in T5 and T3 and due to the add of BMI there is no room at the inn for BMI in T3 even with * Airlines going to T2. It is Simple maths if BA/BMI and one world are the biggest players at LHR they going to get the most space.

I let you all decide since most of you clam to have better info on this But what BT just posted about BA makes what I been told even more right, we could be seeing BA T1 or BA in T2, just going to love your * face when this happens when BA is T2.

dutchyankee
    Participant

I know it seems mad after all the consolidation for BA into T5 and a few flights from T3, but I could never imagine the flights would be spread between Domestic/EU in one terminal and Long Haul and non-EU in another. The greatest advantage BA has with T5 is connectivity of Long Haul flights to their short haul network. I would imagine, those flights chosen to be out of T5 are due more to them having a higher percentage of local (London or non-connecting traffic) than others, which seems logical to me. I was just hopeful all BA flights would have been under one roof, which now seems almost impossible, unless there are plans for T5 D and E Gates?

canucklad
    Participant

Whatever happened to the idea that the different terrminals were going to be consolidated dependant on which alliance they belonged too….?

Bucksnet
    Participant

The BMI flights could all go to T3 if SK and TK moved to T1.

T5 needs to keep all BA domestic flights because the northern end of the main building is designed for domestic arrivals.

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

T1 is scheduled to be demolished in mid 2014 to make way for the second phase of T2. It is an absolute dump and I find it hard to believe that BA will want to stay there a day longer than aboslutely necessary.

T3 has just had a new baggage system put in linking it with T5, at considerable cost. BA already have lounges, infrastructure and partners there. There will be more room when various Star airlines (eg Singapore, Air Canada, Air China, ANA) move to the new T2 in late 2013/early 2014. My guess is BA will consolidate its non T5 operations there soon after.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Agreed, but narrowbody star alliance flights can be moved to T1 today.

Travellator
    Participant

CharlesQ

Agreed, they let in all the Iberia flights thats why.

BHD flights should migrate to T5 for easier long haul and european connections. Personal transfer T1 to T5 no problem but baggage takes a tad longer.

FrDougal
    Participant

To be honest they only let in a handful of IB flights into T5 and in the grand scheme of things they dont seem to take up a huge amount of capacity there at busy times!

The problem with T5 was that it was NEVER large enough for the BA operation. Even now with T5C open there is a huge number of remote stands where passengers have to be bussed to and from. There are no plans to get T5D into action (the track transit system doesnt even extend down there and there will be great fun removing the fuel dumps in the D area) and until such a time that BA actually sits down with the BAA to has something out we are going to have this mismash of terminals causing more and more confusion and bringing us back to the Pre T5 Glory days!

As for the Belfast flight, I think it is only a matter of time before this and the DUB eventually move to T5. My opinion is that it is remaining in T1 until some agreement has been hashed out with Aer Lingus as they both cooperate on the routes. Infact my best guess would be that BA will probably dump the routes on EI in which case itll stay in T1 LOL!

It is too soon for BA to be moving BD flights out of T1 altogether as things just dont change that quickly. My guess is that within the next 2 years or so we will eventually see a huge consolidation of all services between T3 and T5, but this wont happen overnight!

Bucksnet
    Participant

Until the flights are combined, BA will be doing domestic flights to the same destinations (like ABZ and MAN) from different terminals – very confusing.

MEA has just joined Skyteam and should move from T3 to T4, as should unaligned Iran Air, Emirates, PIA and Turkmenistan Airlines.

ScottWilson
    Participant

It is highly unlikely Emirates will shift from T3 given its investment in lounge space. Bear in mind that Virgin is non-aligned as well and it wont be moving either.

Some others will remain separate, such as El Al being apart from terminals where Arab airlines are.

Bucksnet
    Participant

T4 was the designated terminal for non-aligned airlines and Emirates should have moved there long ago. Maybe they would not have spent so much on lounge space if they knew they had to move. If they and others do not move, then BA will never be able to consolidate into 2 terminals with other oneworld airlines as well.

VS is also non-aligned, but maybe not for long. If going to Skyteam then it’s T4, otherwise if it’s star then they should wait for T2.

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

I think we be seeing T1 open far longer then you all think and not all of T1 knocked down due to the New T2 not being built on all the foot print of T1.

The only thing that can be done to end this madness of the Terminals if the 3rd runway to go a head and a new terminals being built and T3 and T1 Knocked down.

LeTigre
    Participant

A couple of corrections:

-VS Plan A is definitely staying in T3 until 2019 earliest
    -Emirates are not and were not in a position to move to T4 because the schedule of construction of A380 gates (T3 first)
    -T1 currently caters for about 14 million pax, which is about the same as the first half of the new T2
    -The construction of the second half of the new T2 REQUIRES the demolition of T1 (don’t know why) and after the phased opening, T1 can close no later than winter 2015

One other thought is that BA may be waiting for 2014 when it can consolidate its messy operations at Heathrow. Certainly, moving around more than 5 other airlines when they would have to move again in 2 years is less than desirable for BAA.

greyhawkgeoff
    Participant

thanks LeTigre for the facts behind the terminal situation. I would add that T1 is primarily eqipped with gates to suit small single aisle aircraft and T3 is mainly equipped for wide bodies. A simple swop (who pays?) lacks sense as T1 could not take what is all too often suggested here. By 2014 BA should have more wide bodies – B787 and A380 coming in, to use at T3 as they transition the slots acquired with bmi – essentially a single aisle airline with just 2 wide bodies and basically 2 wide body flights aday out of T1.
    A move for all non T5 BA flights into T3 looks sensible and timely, if anyone here has ever tried to move a cpomplex operation from one site to another knows it just is not possible to do in a couple of months. It nneds complex planning and given the lack of resources available lying spare at LHR in any terminal it is not practical to do in anything short of a year or two. For those that suggest this summer was ideal, well it was except for it being the busiest time of year for volume and, dare I say it the Olympics. There has to be a moratorium on inessential actions for the May to September window just as there was with any large computer system prior to the advent of the year 2000. Given the recent RBS/NatWest foul up with a ‘simple’ upgrade, take care for what you wish for.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls