Taking a guest into BA lounges

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)

• Binman62
    Participant

The lounges are already far too busy and the access of guest needs to be seriously curtailed. I flew to Glasgow 3 weeks ago and the north lounge in T5 was standing room only. The Concorde room on April 8th was also busy and the First lounge packed. It was not possible to get a spa visit within 3 hours of arrival at the lounge.

The guest pass issue mentioned my Johnphlenanaustralia is a good idea and in this day and age there seems no resaon why it could not be loaded as a credit on your executive card and deducted as used during the year. A gold Card could have 10 guest passes and a Silver 5. At present there is little between silver and gold as each gains the same milage benefits and has the same guest access rights. Only access to the first lounge in T5 and checkin at First desks seems to be different.

Daytripper
    Participant

My wife is a BA gold card holder, and has frequently been allowed lounge access for herself and our two children (when flying economy) at both LHR and LGW, applying the simple approach of humility and politeness.

Henryp1
    Participant

Taking into account the replies and my own experiences, I believe that the current system is good and that lounges can at times be very busy even the 1st. Weekend and off peak travel can be a real pleasure when there are less passengers.

The allocation of passes could see lounges become overcrowded especially if FFs used all at once.

It may be helpful if T5 at LHR had a pay for entry lounge as other terminals have and may do good business especially associated travel clubs.

There is nothing more irritating than passengers trying to secure entry for another passenger into the lounge when they obviously are not entitled to do so, or over the limit of guests. Its very interesting at times to see the original ticket holder or FF member giving the guest a tour and explaining it all!

In my opinion the more restrictions the better as we use the lounges to get away from the busy departure halls and have relaxation. As always it feels the same as those who try so hard for an upgrade rather than pay for one.

Its interesting as to what is the original purpose of the lounges, are they part of the premium travel experience or as a reward for FFs.

Apologies to those who disagree, but when travelling 1st and sharing a lounge with all passengers who are entitled can be very uncomfortable and stressful, one example being the lounge at DXB where there is only one lounge for all.

Henry

stevescoots
    Participant

qatar do the same, x amount of guest passes per year for gold members

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Looking at the Galleries First lounge in T5 this morning (Tuesday) I dont think there is any room for guests. Mobbed.

Sitting in a nice seat by the windows if any other BT forum members are in here.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Have a good flight Martyn. I’m in Cape Town now so regrettably cannot join you by the window (probably no place anyway by the sounds of it). Another time perhaps?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Enjoy Cape Town LP

Cwyfan
    Participant

As we all have loyalty cards, it should be easy to base any scheme around these, and not require paper work.

I personally favour the one guest per visit as a basic scheme, but then believe that unused guest visits should then be accumulated for later use if required, even if one drops in membership status, when it could be used for oneself too

PAMPASBULL
    Participant

I agree with Cedric.

As most Gold card holders have travelled alone during most of the year it would be a nice idea for BA to allow the family in during the times they are travelling together.
    It should be simple for BAEC to allow members to print off a certain amount of vouchers from their account when they need them. Six a year maybe?

CharlieBrown
    Participant

Sorry I’m not aware if there exists a more relevant forum thread, however I have a query regarding BA lounge access. When flying from, say, Edinburgh to any destination worldwide via LGW or LHR and travelling Club/First departing LGW/LHR, could one get access to the Edinburgh Galleries lounge? I understand passengers are offered the most generous baggage allowance for their Domestic sector if transfering to/from Club/First although I’m unsure what rules stipulate for lounge access connecting to/from a Domestic flight.

Thank you.

PAMPASBULL
    Participant

Thomas……If you are connecting at LHR/LGW to F or CW then yes you will be able to access the lounge at EDI. Same on your return at London just keep hold of your boarding pass from your long haul sector.
    If flying in F then you can use the Concorde Room at T5 before your domestic flight……or any lounge for that matter. You will be able to have the full baggage allowance as well.

CharlieBrown
    Participant

Thank you PAMPASBULL, much appreciated. Does that also apply to journeys featuring short-haul Club Europe sectors ex LGW/LHR?

PAMPASBULL
    Participant

Yes no problem gaining entry to the lounge at EDI if connecting to CE…….as long as the lounge staff know the rules.

BlackTower
    Participant

This is consistently annoying. I too am a gold lone traveller with a nuclear family who makes all his own travel choices. BA staff delight in not allowing family use. I only ever drink coffee in the lounge and eat one or two biscuits. The First lounge at T5 is almot always empty. I think it should be allowed on a capacity judgement basis. Noise equals ejection naturally

MartynSinclair
    Participant

BlackTower – allow the lounge staff to grant entrance on a “judgement basis” is a recipe for a disaster.

Perhaps a more novel approach would be to section off part of the upstairs executive lounge as a family area and then decide on entry criteria (which could include a nominal charge for added guests to defray some of the cost).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls