Taking a guest into BA lounges

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)

• Anonymous

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

As a gold member of the Executive Club, one of the more prized benefits is lounge access for myself and a guest, whether or not one is flying in a premium cabin. But the one time this might be of most use, which is when I go away with my family, the limitation of just one guest is extremely difficult. Do I take my wife into the lounge and leave my daughters outside, or take one daughter inside, or what?

The irony is that 90% of the time I fly, I do not use the guest pass facility because I am on my own. Yet the one time it would be most valuable, I cannot use it.

Why do BA not change the rules of the Executive Club so that instead of the right to have “one guest, every time, but only one at a time”, the becomes “10 guests in a year, whenever you like”. In that way I could take my whole family into the lounge for our annual holiday.

This could easily be achieved with a voucher system and would not result in any significant increase in lounge usage. But it would result in significant added value to BA’s Executive Club members – and BA might even encourage their families to join the EC as well once they have seen the benefits of regular flying with them.

Any thoughts from other posters? Or from BA?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Cedric

This subject has been discussed on another thread which I have tried to look for but cant find. Bottom line is rules are rules.

However, in the past I have been able to arange for a “family visit” by speaking to a supervisor a few days before hand or speaking to customer services.

However, I have never tried to make this request on the day of departure and on the occassion it was denied, I didnt throw my toys out of the pram.

BA can be accomodating, esepcially to those passengers who go about things in a subtle and quiet way.

The biggest problem though are the lounge staff themselves, who most of the time clearly do not want to work any where near the lounge complex and seem to have a continual competition between themselves as to who can be the rudest to passengers.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Thank you Martyn.

“Rules is rules” is indeed the standard answer, and I do not have much complaint with that. One has to have rules, and if we are frank about it, the staff who run the lounges are not board-level decision makers, so it is perhaps unrealistic to expect them to have the incentive, initiative or even authority to apply rules flexibly on the day.

But what I am suggesting is not that BA permit me to bend the rules, but that they change the rules to something more likely to be what their customers would appreciate. At no great cost to themselves they could actually do something their customers might like. A truly radical thought for an airline!

NTarrant
    Participant

Cedric, I do agree with Martyn and also this was brought up on another thread which I can’t find either.

I understand what you are saying, but there will be people who travel with Gold members who may not be entitled to use lounges or indeed the First class lounge. I regularly take a guest into the First lounge at LGW, he can go into the other lounge as a Silver member and becuase we are travelling Club Europe, but as a Gold I am entitled to use the First lounge and therefore bring him with me.

I had a bit of a delimera when my wife and I returned from HKG-LHR a few months ago. We were travelling Club World and my sister and her friend in Economy. Yet we would not have been able to take both of them into the business class lounge and certainly not the First lounge. Lucky they wanted to look at the shops so we said see you at baggage reclaim and made a bee line for the First lounge.

You should also as a priority join your family into the Executive Club, not only from the point of view that it can get them into lounges but also from the point of view that you are missing out on thousands of miles. Put it all on a household account and you then have a larger pool of miles to use.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I don’t know your daughters ages, Cedric, but Miles and More allow all children under 18 to accompany their parents into the lounge the main card holder is entitled to use.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Just as a slight thread drift, is there actualy any difference between the First and Business Class lounges outside of the UK. I know for example in BKK the 2 lounges are identical, except the Business Class lounge is a lot bigger, or is it merely the presence of champagne (or not)??

Gold-2K
    Participant

In most places the differences are minimal. The only non uk one substantially different is JFK.

NTarrant
    Participant

If you take LGW for instance, there is a better range of food available and staff will prepare food off the menu fresh. Such as bacon bagutte or toast in the morning. There is also better seating.

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

Cedric, what you are suggesting – a fixed number of ‘guest passes’ per year – is exactly the system that Qantas used to operate. On the anniversary of your membership, you would get your updated kit for the new year, including your guest passes. (I can’t remember the number of passes, unfortunately). It meant that you could save up your passes and use them all in one hit, if you wanted.

But about seven or eight years ago, this system was dumped, in favour of the ‘one guest per visit, no pass necessary’ approach, the same as BA.

The ‘guest passes’ approach is certainly more flexible from the member’s perspective, but I suppose it is more cumbersome and marginally more costly for the airline (having to print passes, mail them to you, collect them at the lounge, etc.)

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

John Phelan

Interesting. I suspect the requirements of uniformity across the oneWorld system scuppered the Qantas idea. And I fully accept the point that NTarrant is making – some people will prefer the current system.

Here are some really radical ideas:

1. Airlines could operate a “peak hours/off-peak” system, with 1 guest Mon-Fri and say up to 3 guests at weekends, when lounges are often emptier because all the gold card holders flying economy for their employer but using the lounges are not there.

2. Airlines could offer members the choice – “do you want a one guest all the time card or 10 vouchers?”

3. Airlines could offer a guest voucher for every x number of flights or tier points over the “retain gold” level. At the moment, there is reduced incentive to go on using an airline after one has retained gold (note – I know about upgrade vouchers at eg 2500 tier points on BA, but this is not the greatest incentive, hence use of word “reduced” not “no”).

All three of these show innovative, imaginative solutions which make their product more flexible and more attractive at no or very little cost. In any normal industry companies would be falling over themselves to introduce such ideas given the payoff. But does anyone seriously believe airlines are capable of such thinking?

craigwatson
    Participant

again Cedric, trying to get something for nothing.

if you want to bring more people into the lounge, have them purchase the appropriate ticket!

As it is they are already giving you 1 guest, the whole point of lounges is to get people to “purchase” premium tickets, how can anyone think its in the airlines interest to give even more away for nothing

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Martyn, there is a big difference betwen the F and C lounges at ZRH, FRA and Munich. Not only in the food and beverages but also the way it’s served etc. not to mention showers and transport to planes.

Cedric, obtain HON status with Miles and More and you can take 6 guests with you into any lounge no matter which ticket you hold.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Craig

With respect, if you read my last post I am not just suggesting “something for nothing”. My option 2 suggests they offer customers a choice and added value through added flexibility, and my option 3 suggests they offer added incentives to continue to fly with them.

If you approach every idea you are offered with the view “what are they trying to con me out of here” you will see a downside in almost everything. I prefer to approach other people’s ideas with “how can we make this work better for both him and me?” And yes, I work in a service industry with customers and I do practice what I preach.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

LP – the lounges you mention are not the BA lounges.

Craig Watson, you are very wrong:

“the whole point of lounges is to get people to “purchase” premium tickets, how can anyone think its in the airlines interest to give even more away for nothing”

The purpose of the lounges is to reward loyal customers, in what ever class they are travelling. There are Gold card holders who only fly economy.

I am all for change, but not to the detriment of the offering.

BA does use an in house consumer group made up of selected frequent flyers who meet 3 or 4 times a year (and are paid in airmiles for the work they do). It would be interesting to learn if the contents of these meetings are made public so BAEC members can be updated of the new ideas being considered.

In the meantimne Cedric, try sweetalking one of the lounge managers or speak to Customer Services. They have in the past shown signs of being human!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls