T3…..UKBA chaos today 19/4/12

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)

• LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

More reports of long waits this morning. Colleague coming back from BKK on TG waited sixty five minutes for EU immigration.

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

Last couple of times I saw the IRIS not working or closed is it fully closed at T3 now?

SimonS1
    Participant

Big article in the Standard tonight “F1 Teams trapped in new Heathrow chaos”. Queues of ‘hours’ in T5 and only one booth of the Iris system working.

More bad publicity for UK PLC. I take back any complaints I have made before re Dubai, Johannesburg, Accra etc.

Heaven knows what will happen come the Olympics.

VK’s defence of the situation eagerly awaited.

HongKongLady
    Participant

I have obviously been extremely lucky recently although I am normally on one of the first planes down in the morning and arrive into and often out rapidly of terminal 5.

Binman62
    Participant

Luck has nothing to do with it if arriving on BA26 or BA28. They are the first to arrive in T5 unless tailwinds have gotten the first BOS across the pond very quickly. If you were to wait more than a few minutes at that time of day things would be considerably worse than they are.

Consequently I fear your experience is not represenational of the issues being experienced in all terminal during much of the day.

ConstantFlyer1
    Participant

I do feel sorry for those travellers living in Slough and Hounslow, and therefore having little real alternative to flying to and from Heathrow. I do have little sympathy, though, for those who choose to fly there despite there being viable and comfortable alternatives. I included myself in that latter category – until I saw the light and now avoid the place like the plague. If you don’t belong to the upper echelons frequeting the Concorde Room, you’re better off going elsewhere.

RichHI1
    Participant

ConstantFlyer1 surely that depends on your destination? Flying to LAX with an onward connection, flying from LGW to FRA adds too much to an already 20 hour trip. Flights to GRU and MEX can be done from Madrid but getting to Madrid early enough is difficult from LGW or the more siutherly airports. Travelling early in the morning, the public transport or car journey to LCY is approx 1.5 – 2 hours and Luton and Stanstead are longer.
    Flights to NRT and PVG are not good connections on the return via European connections either.
    So As I say it must depend on destination.

ConstantFlyer1
    Participant

RichHI1 – Fortunately for me, there are viable and comfortable alternatives from my local airports: Newcastle and Edinburgh. I wish more of our locals – Mackems, Geordies and Reivers – knew of them too.

RichHI1
    Participant

Indeed from a nirtherly location, connecting through a European hub is far more sensible than using LHR.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Back from HKG this afternoon, about an hour late landing as the headwinds over central Asia were very strong but worse places to spend an extra hour than in CX F!

Seventy five minutes to clear immigration in T3, three surly staff working. I couldn’t resist saying to the man who thrust my passport back in to my hand, ‘thank you for the warm welcome home, you demonstrate all that is wrong with this country’ before carrying on my way.

cityprofessional
    Participant

CXDiamond, was that 75 minutes in the Fast Track lane? God, that’s awful… Not looking forward to my SQ flights this summer…

Binman62
    Participant

Must have been awful tonight……

Clear though that the blip, the aberration or the odd event, is and remains a very serious matter and with no sign of improvement.

RichHI1
    Participant

The press is kept quiet and the government continues to do nothing. Outside of forums like this, no on knows, no one believes it and no one cares. The press have now moved on from Mr Tappin to Mr Murdoch to try and sell newspapers and punch and judy show that is the house of Commons does not address our problems. It is all very depressing and very predictable.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Just for clarity, 75 mins was the EU line which was slow, the fast track was slower and if you had to join the other line then you’re probably still there.

SimonS1
    Participant

CX – unfortunately there is no point in saying anything as it will be twisted against you and you will end up accused of making threats, intimidation etc.

Your easiest strategy is to change your name to Vintage Krug (who has gone silent when faced with the actuality), the queues will evaporate and you will receive a warm welcome.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls