T3…..UKBA chaos today 19/4/12

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)

• DavidRenton
    Participant

This is great timing. I flew into T4 on Tuesday evening at 22:30. There was a 35 minute queue at the UK passport desks, only 1 person checking passports, until 25 minutes into the queue, and e-gates were closed. In all my travels, I have only seen IRIS working once – is this the same for these e-gates now? I missed 2 hoppa buses and got to my hotel at midnight thanks to this nonsense. I had American friends flew in last month to T4 and had a 2 hour wait.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Oh, please. Surely you are able to understand that an airline cannot be in charge of the UK Border???

It’s quite clear that the PCS Union is engineering exaggerated understaffing to put pressure on the government pre-Olympics to increase salaries and reverse the much needed reductions in staff which make sense when there are now electronic alternatives for many regular travellers.

I’d imagine this is being done by those operational staff within the PCS Union who are rostering fewer people during busy periods, go-slows for those who are on duty, encouraging people to take leave/phone in sick and generally dragging their heels.

The reports are now too frequent to be anything other than a co-ordinated effort to cause disruption to UKplc.

Having said that, my two entries into the UK this week have been without incident, via working IRIS machines and notably few people in line at the regular desks (none at EU, about fifty people in the “other” one). So it’s certainly not all bad. Maybe those who fly BA through terminal 5 are getting a better experience 😉

LuganoPirate
    Participant

What’s to stop a passenger entering the transit area, taking the transfer bus to T1 or T2 and trying to enter there?

RichHI1
    Participant

Can I suggest an improvement. Display systems should be set up to show how many EU-PASS and IRIS machines are working in each terminal. Then passengers without bags can choose which terminal to exit from.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Obviously an airline cannot be in charge of the UK border, but BA could fund extra staff in T5 and plan the operations, rotas etc. BA or BAA should not have to pay for this, but it might be a wise commercial decision to do so as it would make that terminal/airport much more attractive for travellers.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s essential the UK Border agency is entirely independent of any commercial operation, for a whole host of reasons.

BAA already funds a slew of yellow shirts to help marshal people correctly; there’s little more they can do.

It’s essential IRIS is maintained.

Bucksnet
    Participant

It’s actually UK Border Force now VK, so please keep up.

It can be entirely independent, but still receive extra funding from an airline or airport to provide extra staff at certain times.

Vertrek
    Participant

I would simply say, avoid arriving in Heathrow during peak hour, as I my self have experienced it, many times, sometimes the length of the EU line is worst than the International line!

To counter VK statement “Fly BA to T5″…. I say, don’t fly BA if it schedule to arrive around the peak hour! Transit somewhere else and enjoy the terminal shopping or relax in your airline lounge in their hub before flying to LHR, because the last thing you want after a long flight is spending your time in a long Q.
    Or else, fly to LCY via AMS, FRA or ZRH.

Good suggestion Rich!

RichHI1
    Participant

I am afraid for many it is easier and more pleasurable to pillory the unions than to admit there is a problem and fix it.

HOT NEWS I have an instant fix for this problem. It just came to me.

BA have a great service flying from LCY to JFK clearing CBP in Shannon. This saves much time and reduces stress and uncertainty on timings. As the British Government is incapable of running an effective Border Patrol, all flights to LHR should Stop to clear Immigration at Shannon.

This is a win win. The Irish run immigration well (shame about the airports) and there would be a lot of duty free purchases, increased employment in Shannon and passengers would Arrive in UK without the need to clear immigration. The government could remove all the IRIS machines and fire all the UKBA Staff. Passengers would leave Terminals at LHR earlier and everyone would be happier. I am sure that Microsoft will issue a Flight Simulator patch to accomodate thiis though virtual travellers may need more disk space.

It has to be the way to go, kld proverb says, a fool is someone who keeps doing the same thing and expects a different answer.

I’m on a roll here, resolve Uk airport issues by renaming Shannon as London West Shannon or Sionainne Londain thiar. Then you can compile statistics based on Shannon and the need for a new runway disappears. Just have an A380 shuttle to LHR. I am sure they will have no issues building as many runways as you like at Shannon.

I cannot believe it took me so long. We are so lucky to have a neighbour whose capabilities in this field are so cutting edge (compared to UK at least).

VintageKrug
    Participant

Nurse! NURSE!

DavidRenton
    Participant

I’m flying to the USA now with Aer Lingus via Dublin. The US CBP process pre-clearance there and you arrive in the US as a domestic passenger – cuts down the 2 hour wait at JFK/EWR/ORD.

AsiaPacific
    Participant

Well — Thanks to (almost ) all posters… both this thread and the one on T5 has made up my mind to fly via AMS direct to Edinburgh in July when my daughter starts her Masters …

How on earth this situation is tolerated is simply beyond me .,… and the SAD ( I can only describe them as that ) … comments by one of the regular posters — are no longer even mildly amusing.

This was once a very enjoyable forum … now , I only poke my toe in the water occasionally … due to the stupidity of his posts … about time for your moderators to take a bit of action …

Now for the vile , inane comments from him … good luck with LHR guys, I feel for you … shame some of those in the industry who continually bignote themselves and supposedly have some influence couldn’t at least try to make a difference by using the airlines to pressure the govt ,,,

HongKongLady
    Participant

Please stop alarming people with the immigration problems. There will be additionl people travelling during the Olympic period and yes they may have to wait in line a little longer but really is it that bad, unless you have a connecting flight in which case you will be in a different queue which lets hope they keep flowing, you are just going to arrive in the terminal a little later.
    Oh and if you fly into the US you must certainly be used to seeing long lines at immigration the only difference is our people are more polite and have a sense of humour.

RichHI1
    Participant

HongKongLady what you observe is accumulated frustration at a system that is failing. Visitors to the UK should not be alarmed however they should be prepared for extensive waits particularly if they are travelling with young children or others who have additional travel needs.

In my experience id you have a low expectation and are prepared then it is all upside if you get through quickly, whereas if you have high expectations and are not prepared, a two hour wait with a fmaily of young children in a waiting hall like T3 where the air conditioning is not able to cope with high volumes of queueing passengers you may well regret coming.

On your last point, a few years ago i would have agreed with you, however following initiatives in the US CBP and a severe fall in standards in the UK border Force, I would rate the US as more Professional and more courteous.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I’d agree that US Immigration has vastly improved, bith in attitude and waiting times.

I was at Miami last month and even there was greeted with a smile and there was hardly any queue (no such luck for those in economy, though).

The UK Border Force is clearly being manipulated by the PCS Union to put pressure on the goivernment pre-Olympics. Any discussion of the issues seen in recent weeks (which it’s apparent weren’t the norm prior to that) should centre on the activities of this Union in disrupting UKplc.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls