T1 UKBA Chaos

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

• Gold-2K
    Participant

back through T5 this evening. Only 5 people in IRIS line …… hurrah. I was lucky. There must have been nearly 300 people in the EU queue, whereas non EU had a holding line to actually join the queue – must have been at least 750 people being dealt with a max of 4 immigration officers. Embarrassing!! UK plc is going to look fantastic when we “welcome the world” to the London Olympics. Perhaps they should have build the Stadium Airside???

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

There seems to be a recurrent theme that Iris/e-gates are not working. (Gold 2K, glad you are the exception.)

Anyone shed any light on this?

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

LGW S today, 11am.

Through immigration in appx. 30 seconds – nearly empty. No time to see how many stations manned, but looked pretty well done. More of a queue for non-EU, but probably 20 mins max. e-gates working, iris removed some time ago.

Funny thing, the baggage hall was absolutely heaving with several hundred people?

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

LHR T1 on return from MUC this afternoon, 53 minutes wait, three staff checking EU passports.

On arrival in MUC this morning, doors open to s-bahn eight minutes.

stevescoots
    Participant

My colleague had a 75 minute wait in the EU row this morning at T4 arriving from DOH

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Just booked another middle eastern trip.

I have booked with Frankfurt as the transit point, not LHR, as both had quite a wait (6- 8 hours) for the connection to KM on the way back and I would like to clear customs and go into town.

I’m not prepared to risk over an hour in the queue.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Mrs LPPS and I have just spent a very pleasant weekend in Berlin and returned this afternoon. I was dreading arrival at LHR but maybe all the publicity is beginning to work or maybe it was just a bit quieter than normal.

We arrived on BD/LH at about 13.50 and arriving at the border control point three e gates were working. The EU queue was about thirty people long with three staff working. No queue for the egates so we were through them in seconds. If the egates were more reliable, it would be nice to see them replace some of the more miserable operatives on the desks.

OT: Just then T1 baggage to deal with, the bags came as numbers nine and twenty, both priority tagged but all the others that came out were not priority tagged. Contrast that to bags one and two on arrival at TXL, how do staff at LHR get this so wrong?

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Interesting that as I reported a positive experience, VirtualKrug has bumped just about every other thread about border chaos to push it from view – no pleasing some people is there 😉

Binman62
    Participant

Q. how do staff at LHR get this so wrong?

A Years of practice

RichHI1
    Participant

Good news Krisflyer. Got to fly again end of the week and i hope my experience is better than last time.

HarryMonk
    Participant

LPPS, perhaps today’s improvment could be explained by the fact today is a public holiday across much of Europe so reduced UK inbound passengers could be be expected anyway.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

HarryMonk: Of course I had not taken the public holiday into account. It was so obviously a holiday in Germany but I was aware that it wasn’t at home so by the time we got here I had forgotten about holidays and was thinking of work I had to catch up on today.

Let’s hope someone can post a positive report tomorrow….

CXDiamond
    Participant

Came in from WAW this morning, chaos in T1 alive and well, fortunately the egates were working so it only took about ten minutes to clear. I would not have liked to join the UK/EU queue, I had more to do with my day than waste it standing in LHR even if it is (allegedly) in the interests of national security.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls