Switzerland restrictions

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

It seems that this evening Switzerland has added restrictions on several countries

I’m hoping it is referring to the unvaccinated, rather than everyone…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

… but it doesn’t look like it does

“Tightening of entry rules: quarantine for arrivals
    Since 8pm on 26.11.2021, various countries have been on the list of countries with a variant of concern. Anyone entering Switzerland from these countries must present a negative test result and quarantine for 10 days. This also applies to vaccinated and recovered persons.”

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html#-1046289572

The newly added countries are written in bold in the respective list.

List valid upon arriving in Switzerland from 26.11.21, from 20h00
    Countries* with a worrying variant

Belgium
    Botswana
    Czech Republic
    Egypt
    Eswatini
    Hong Kong
    Israel
    Lesotho
    Malawi
    Mozambique
    Namibia
    Netherlands
    South Africa
    United Kingdom
    Zimbabwe

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/switzerland/entry-requirements

From 8pm on 27 November, travellers arriving from the UK must self-quarantine for 10 days on arrival in Switzerland.

Interestingly, at present I suppose anyone flying to, say, Geneva, to visit the French Alps, could still do so, but anyone flying to Geneva to visit the Swiss Alps, would have to quarantine….

Alsacienne
    Participant

Apologies if I’m quoting ancient history but there was a period last year when there was chaos at Gatwick in connection with an Easyjet flight to Basel, which, like Geneva is a shared airport between France and Switzerland.

Only travellers with a Swiss residents’ permit and those with Swiss passports were permitted to board because the aircraft lands in the Swiss side of the airport.

It didn’t matter if you were travelling to France (or Germany) but if you didn’t have the Swiss documentation, you were not permitted to board.

I had local friends who were prevented from taking this flight, hence my offering this post. They had to fly to Paris and then take the train ….

So, please have a plan B, C or other ready!!!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, I think you are right with that warning.

Certainly the current advice is that UK nationals are not allowed to transit through Geneva airport into Switzerland without first quarantining for 10 days.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Looks like some confusion – but cannot use GVA to enter Switzerland without quarantining. However:

“There is no quarantine requirement for those in transit airside at the airport.”

So ok to transit ZRH/GVA with an onward flight to 3rd country as this wasn’t clear in initial guidance.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Not forgetting Nightjet.

Its Amsterdam-Zurich service was expected to launch next month but this may not now happen.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[postquote quote=1119157]

Yes, sorry, I meant …”into France”

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Apparently situation with using GVA to then enter France may be changing. So anyone with the route should hang fire for 24 / 48 hours as travel may be permissible. (To be honest – entry into Switzerland is 10 day self quarantine. Not sure they can stop you leaving the country anyway).

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Inghams today says its ski breaks to Switzerland are now cancelled for December.

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/tourism/inghams-suspends-december-ski-departures-to-switzerland

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

So FCDO advice updated today and you can travel to France to ski via Geneva provided you travel straight on and transit time in Switzerland is less than 24 hours and does not involve a stopover.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, I saw that, thank you.
    Ironically, as a result of the initial announcement by the Swiss Government, so many people switched their flights from Geneva to other airports (Turin, Milan etc…) using the ability to do so under the new conditions offered by the airline – no fees etc.., that BA cancelled many of its flights to Geneva…
    I wonder if it will reinstate them now.

Alsacienne
    Participant

Tim, it probably doesn’t matter what the FCDO says … it’s up to the Swiss authorities – their ball and their turf! LGW–BSL seems very light this morning … seems that the Swiss passport holders or residents’ permit holders rule is in force again.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

I know it’s up to the Swiss authorities to determine entry criteria. Just the FCDO is a good starting point for advice / guidance though doing what I do you always need to check with relevant countries authorities as it doesn’t always get it right!

But transit of BSL/GVA is possible provided not stopping in Switzerland and leaving for France (or Germany in BSL case) and you can demonstrate this.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Alsacienne
    Participant

“”But transit of BSL/GVA is possible provided not stopping in Switzerland and leaving for France (or Germany in BSL case) and you can demonstrate this.””
    ……….. assuming that the ground staff representing the airline at your airport of origin allow you to board …. GVA perhaps but BSL at the moment, seems to be a no.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls