Strong continuing growth for Cathay Pacific in March

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

Cathay released it March results yesterday evening.

The airline carried 41% more passengers for the month against March 2023 with passengers carried for the month totalling a healthy 1.9 million.

Available seat kilometres for the first 3 months of 2024 (ASKs) increased by 48.9% year on year which decreased the overall load factor to 84% as suspended routes were resumed and larger aircraft deployed on several key routes where a continued increase in passenger numbers is expected.

The combined Cathay and Cathay Dragon passenger figure for the same month in 2019 was 3.1 million with a load factor 81.2% showing that the airline still has a long way to go in its quest to match 2019 figures by March

Australasia passenger numbers were up by 56% with India and Middle East routes the best performer for the month with passenger numbers increasing by over 110% on March 2023. figures as suspended routes were resumed and larger aircraft deployed.

3 users thanked author for this post.

LaWhore
    Participant

Your amount of CX posts is exhausting. Why not get a job in their PR department?

1 user thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

LaWhore, Try posting more yourself then if you think its boring. I don’t post much because travel is pretty boring in general but I don’t criticise others for posting dull items

5 users thanked author for this post.

christ
    Participant

LaWhore – i do not think it is PR as it says there is growth but a long way from Match 2019. Certainly for HK based people, the facts are quite interesting (I would be interested in hearing similar facts for BA).

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Christ – I’m not sure IAG has announced anything post EOY 2023, released in late February.
    Q4 2023 capacity was at 98.6% versus 2019.
    Annual profit after tax, £2.3bn.

cwoodward
    Participant

I am wondering why you feel the need to criticise my post without contributing anything yourself ?

Woodpecker
    Participant

For those of us living in this part of the world, cwoodward’s posts provide insights & valuable information, based on which we can make optimum travel decisions & planning.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but for several others these are anything but exhaustive. Besides, I don’t recollect cwoodward ever forcing anyone to read his posts.

2 users thanked author for this post.

LaWhore
    Participant

I beg to differ. This site and the forum contains numerous interesting subjects worth discussing – new routes, significant industry events, advice sharing, etc

The constant stream of the dull CX statistics is unbearable. There is nothing in your post that includes helpful information for businesses travellers. This is uninteresting and more suitable for CX Investor Relations monthly update section of their website.

MarkivJ
    Participant

cwoodward – cheers as always for the update. I’m so glad they’re sending a A350 to BLR now instead of the clapped out Dragon A330 from 2019.

Inquisitive
    Participant

News item about Cathay. In a survey, they are asking business class passengers if they will bring their own cutleries and if they will clean up plastic disposables after themselves!

What Cathay is thinking? I hope this is a joke. But will wait for the report if they publish the responses with comments provided whoever bothered to fill-in the survey.

cwoodward
    Participant

Inquisitive – Your post is misleading and incorrect and I feel better belongs on one of the tabloid gossip travel websites.

Ether you have not properly read the the release and or website are your post is designed to convey a deliberately negative impression of the airline.

I actually did the same survey, and it’s a survey that merely asks for opinions on what we thought about a long list of ideas including the question AMONG MANY OTHERS that you chose to misquote. The survey centred on how the airline can further improve its already considerable sustainability efforts while still satisficing customers expectations.

There was 0 indication that any were going to ever implement any of the many ideas listed.
    Yet you chose to post here along with others on other message boards and articles that twisted this to make it sound like these are cost saving moves that going to or already happening.. talk about social media amplifying and distortion… if the airline is guilty of misjudgement it is underestimating the stupidity of some readers.

I’m just waiting now for the Daily Mail piece…..

The facts

Its reasonable I believe to ask such questions and CX is far from the only airline examining all available options in order to get rid of ‘one use’ materials – without damaging customers expectations.

Cathay has already implemented a good number of ‘in cabin ‘ sustainable initiatives some of which are perhaps not immediately apparent and I guess that the ‘survey’ is part of this ongoing process.

Phased out single-use plastic beverage cups, and replaced them with certified Flustix paper cups.
    Replaced single-use salad bowl lids with reusable ones.
    Phased out economy class reusable plastic cutlery and replacing it with lightweight metal cutlery. (ongoing)
    Removed plastic straws and stirrers from all flights, lounges and offices globally.
    Replacing Styrofoam boxes with reusable inflight cooler bags.
    All napkins now sustainably produced from sugarcane and wood pulp.
    Economy class blankets made from recycled plastic bottles.
    Now only certified sustainable seafood in inflight meals.
    Recyclable paper snack and duty free bags.

There are many more happening or already in place and the following may possibly be of interest Inquisitive…..should you have time to read what is actually happening re sustainability at Cathay and also of course with other quality airlines.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/about-us/sustainability.html

3 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

@lawhore
    “This site and the forum contains numerous interesting subjects worth discussing – new routes, significant industry events, advice sharing, etc”

How about contributing something that you consider interesting rather than blanketly negatively criticise my genuine efforts to contribute news to those interested in Asia and its aviation. – I see that you have contributed very little to the forum in the years that you have been a member -too lazy ?

2 users thanked author for this post.

LaWhore
    Participant

Perhaps you have ‘contributed’ too much?

esselle
    Participant

LaWhore

Just because you don’t find comments or postings of interest, that does not mean others won’t.

As with everything in life, if something doesn’t interest you, pass it by.

4 users thanked author for this post.

christ
    Participant

I also do not see anything wrong with the question as I am sure some would consider.

I have not had the survey but it is misleading to quote one small extract.

Cathay does still always provide a plastic bottle of Evian in business and which I do like. Perhaps they one day will change to a can. Of course one can opt to not drink the plastic bottle of water if they object.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls