Stop travelling to save the planet? We need your views

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)

• RogerVictor
    Participant

Carbon off-setting = guilt off-setting

stevescoots
    Participant

I feel no guilt

RogerVictor
    Participant

Then no need to off-set

Sunshine
    Participant

The biggest problem with all this green activity is the sheer amount of information and mis information out there; it’s really tough to try and do the right thing. But to answer the core question, no I will not make any changes to my travel and I do not consider the environment when travelling.

If put into context, the impact of carbon from flying, cars and trains is miniscule in comparison to other industries (mining, farming, manufacturing etc.). Until govenments force these major polluters to get their respective acts together, I’m not changing my plans for such a comparatively low result.

I hate the way govenments point the finger of blam at us, the consumer, for these issues when there are much bigger culprits at large. Similarly with airlines chaging for carbon offset – again putting the guilt on us – you’re flying, so you should stomp up the cash. NO! If carbon offset was so vital to the survival of the planet the it should be an intrinsic part of the ailrine’s service not something we have to do.

transtraxman
    Participant

This argument has been managed so that everyone talks about flights which are only part of the problem. A far greater problem is the number of car journeys taken which are totally unnecessary where public transport is a viable alternative.

Such is the fallacy of the argument about pollution around Heathrow that no-one admits the closure of the airport would make no difference to the CO2 pollution levels in the area of the airport. With the M4, M25, A3044, A408, A437, A312, A3006, A315, A3113, A30, around Heathrow without mentioning the B roads, the trunk traffic together with the local traffic emit an enormous amount of fumes which are far superior to those emitted by the aircraft to/from the airport.

What we need are comparitive studies to illustrate the emmissions by one source and the other in the vicinity of Heathrow airport, as well as other airports.

In fact I would go much further to say that what we need are comparitive studies to show the use of energy (especially fossil based) by communities and countries. How many units of energy do we use in the UK in comparison to our European neighbours? Ditto in comparison to our worldwide competitors? If you cannot convince others, at least try to shame them into becoming more efficient – and I think we all understand about whom we are talking..

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I simply do not understand the Carbon offset disucssion. It seems to me to be an fiscal policy created for the purpose of generating revenues.

How can an asset or a value be created for something that is basically nothing more than “hot air”.

Can someone break the discussion down to real simple terms and explain how and who decided the value for a carbon credit/offset (which I know are 2 different things) and perhaps why the airline companies give pax the opportunity to pay with their conscience. Do the bus and train companies offer the same form of option?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I simply do not understand the Carbon offset disucssion. It seems to me to be an fiscal policy created for the purpose of generating revenues.

How can an asset or a value be created for something that is basically nothing more than “hot air”.

Can someone break the discussion down to real simple terms and explain how and who decided the value for a carbon credit/offset (which I know are 2 different things) and perhaps why the airline companies give pax the opportunity to pay with their conscience. Do the bus and train companies offer the same form of option?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Hi Martyn,

It’s fairly simple. Carbon offset = basically paying to offset the carbon you’re responsible for when you fly by planting a tree or two somewhere on the planet or help to pay to make some third world producer more energy efficient.

Complete rip off IMHO! Also pays for those charities that administer it to pay good western salaries and drive about in 4 x 4’s employing graduates as drivers that could be better employed helping their own countries to develop. Can you believe LX even charge a service fee should you wish to buy offsets!!! I don’t pay for them as you can gather.

Carbon credits. Now that’s an interesting one. Basically allows a polluting industry to buy credits from a non polluting one so it can legally carry on polluting the atmosphere! Where’s the sense in that! You can generate credits by planting trees for example.

Aha, so we pollute by flying, pay an offset to plant a tree. X trees planted create carbon credits which are sold so industry can carry on polluting! Don’t you just love it?

Oh, and must mention, all the paperwork created to implement (in 27 languages) the various schemes, to then trade, buy and sell the credits either directly or through exchanges, contract notes generated, bookkeeping etc will use quite a few of those trees we planted in the first place!

The whole scheme is well documented on the web. Google “Carbon credit trading” and too long to explain here. I traded these instruments in the past, as there is an exchange, and from the profits bought a Range Rover. As the cousins would say “Go figure”!

Hope that helps Martyn?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks LuganoPirate – clear as fresh air!

What I was hoping you would mention is how an exchange can be created by trading in a commodity that in reality is nothing more than a figment of someones imagination. You can only deal in a commodity that exists and ownership can be identified. Perhaps I can claim ownership of the oceans and offer to rent some of the water back to the Navy to allow them to sail their ships!!

Makes Bernie M look like an amateur..

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls