Stop travelling to save the planet? We need your views

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

Intriguing! Airlines co-operating is now called Communism, only last week it was Joint Business.
    For me three things stand out in AIr Travel
    1). Improve the infrastructure so less fuel is wasted in holding patterns waiting to land and lining up on the taxiway waiting to take off. Included in this would be single engine taxiing and probably more use of tugs.
    2). Increased quality of public transport notably rail options for domestic and short haul flights substitution. Ridiculous after 10+ years there are still no trains to Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy etc. This includes building HS2 to Scotland no matter what the initial infrastructure cost, ridiculous that people fly to Manchester, Glasgow and Edinburgh because trains are so slow and unreliable. Look at European examples from France and Germany or Japanese Shinkansen. Coordinated long term travel policy!
    3.Increase fiscal incentives to replace older non fuel efficient equipment more rapidly than the current commerical model allows. Replacing 20+ year old aircraft with latest fuel efficient NG and NEO aircraft has to be made to make financial sense . This also implies a green solution for aircraft recycling not just dumping them.
    As an off the wall add on… A lot of hotels now charge to store bags. For frequent busines travellers the option to leave bags at the hotel with out charge would save transporting tons of dirty laundry round the planet, reducing handling costs and save time. Maybe Starwood or Hilton should add this as a Platinum or Diamond benefit rather nickel and diming all the time.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi Rich – do you understand all this carbon offset and footprint stuff. It seems that carbon credits is a currency created by central governement and is a bit like someone selling fresh air. Oy, i’ve not used my quota, i have some air for sale.

So when there is an intiaitve to go paper less, this must surely have an effect on the carbon footprint, emissions tax etc etc.

I am intrigued about who decides the calculation for the “carbon offset”?

RichHI1
    Participant

In principle you plant a tree or do some activity to consume the equivalent carbon that your flying has released. In practice I do not trust any of these schemes and believe there is a good deal of smoke and mirrors. The developed world buying a get out of jail free card from the third world. Hence my focus on cutting out wasteful activities which contribute to pollution, add costs and their only value is they save politicians from making hard decisions.
    Oh and by the way burning down parts of London did not help the Ozone layer either, big society or no. Excuse me I have to go and hug a tree…

NTarrant
    Participant

I don’t trust these carbon offset schemes either. Particularly when there was a firm a few years back not spending the money on what it was supposed to do. Paints a poor picture for those that do. A lot of this kind of things is to make individuals feel better about doing something, like travelling by air. You can rid yourself of guilt whilst booking a BA flight.

There is still a lot of myth about domestic flights and how HS2 will get rid of them. Domestic flights still exist inFrance and Germany where they have TGV and ICE. You can travel by train to Germany, Holland and Spain quite easily, the problem is it takes more time.

Anyway if you have finished with the tree Rich, can I have a hug now!!!

RichHI1
    Participant

No I chopped it down to keep warm but you can toast some marshmallows if you like…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Whislt you 2 are eating your marshmellows, which naturally are too fattening for me, can someone please explain currency CARBON OFFSET!

It seems to me that it is nothing more than a currency, created by I am not sure who. How can one business sell an allowance to another business.

If you pay the carbon offset for an airline ticket, what actually happens to the money.

I know Mr Madoff was bad, but this “appears” to be no better.

Can i put in an expense claim to the tax office for buying some carbon credits……………………..?? I know someone is bound to say “well actually” yes you can!

stevescoots
    Participant

not a lot. I put out more carbon every month taking rubbish to the local tip because my council only empties the single wheelie bin every 2 weeks.

if they would use my tax coffers to pick up weekly or take 1 extra bag then that would save more carbon than I could possibly save by changing habits.

Its all about tax, when goverment actually has a cohesive green policy that is worth spending money on, or they actually invest in one then i may get exited about it, until then…

but i did change from an S600 to a S320 this year, so thats my bit done!

Tim2soza
    Participant

Plant 15 trees to offset your car on avg.

NTarrant
    Participant

Yummy those marshmellows….. anyone like one? Actually is there a cardon offset for the toasting?

Steve you are not recycling enough thats why your single bin is too full.

Must go and renew the tax on my ecoflex Corsa only £30.00 a year!! If you find another tree Rich let me have a hug before chopping!

stevescoots
    Participant

yoghurt knitting sandal wearing tree huggers..

apart from my rant above (1 bin + 2 bags of recyc) in some ways i subconciously make changes. like others I dont insist on clean towels everyday when in hotels, I re-use bags, i watch my luggage usage, I changed all my lights to LED in my places etc, I use mass transit systems (except in UK)

Tim2soza
    Participant

I guess ‘Hug a Hoodie’ is pas de rigeur down Chipping Norton way.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Nigel, your being done mate! The Fiat 500 is £0 to tax.

Interesting though, like Stevecoots, subconciously I too have made changes, going from a thirsty V6 to a Fiat 500. I also walk everywhere, where possible. Up to 15 miles a day. Love it!

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

This gives an idea as to the credit and offset process

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_credit#How_buying_carbon_credits_can_reduce_emissions

It is a tad ironic that energy companies are incentivised and give incentives to reduce the use of their product eg discounted insulation, double glazing; yet Airlines are allowed to incentivise increased use by handing out miles.

If there were no “Air” miles programs would we fly less?

RichHI1
    Participant

Perhaps this explains the charging regime the energy companies use.

watersz
    Participant

Im not adverse to making changes but..

personally I would rather change jobs than give up travelling
    and i’m willing to bet if most of you would too if your boss told you you’re officed based 100% from now on

viva el road warriors everywhere

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls