Stir that pot: BA may set up MAN base in 2017!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

• TheLion
    Participant

Hot on the heels of news that IAG plans fly long haul from BCN, comes another, even more exciting “regional” prospect.

BA are apparently considering flying long haul from Manchester again at last, along with a few holiday routes, perhaps to test the market.

An interesting thread on a-net has the details:

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1350637

Suggestion is that BA will take over JFK and ORD flights at MAN from AA using a Gatwick B772, with LGW based crews.

European routes are allegedly PMI, IBZ, NCE, AGP & ALC, with LCY used to position the aircraft and provide crews.

If anyone is connected to BA’s Yammer, apparently that’s where the word on the street is coming from…

And finally….they may be returning to BHX too for some summer seasonal bucket n spade routes!!

Be good to hear your thoughts, views, rumours, info 🙂

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Man is my home base, to be honest Europe is very well served with multiple choice of scheduled carriers , low cost and scheduled charter operators, so I doubt BA will take any large market share on Europe.
    JFK and ORD they must know the full details from AA to consider taking over those routes and even Thomas Cook now do JFK.
    I really doubt that anything other than feeding LHR is an option for BA but even then most of us now are so use to transiting with EU or ME carriers we are more than serviced now without using BA or LHR with much better on board service offerings.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Doesn’t a base mean that aircraft and crew are based at the airport?

Anyway, I agree with G&T, we don’t need them, let them stay in London.

TheLion
    Participant

Yup it does. I wondered if anyone would correct that. It was more rhetorical tbh, however there is a grain of truth in it as the proposed routes woudl likely lead to based aircraft if successful.

Maybe BA will position their upcoming 4 B788s to MAN, with A321LRs for thinner routes, and maybe a few A320s for key business and bucket and spade markets in and around Europe. That sort of fleet would make a lot of sense and should be viable. It has also been my personal “fantasy” network plan for BA at MAN for a long time.

I even drew up schedules! #AvGeek 🙂

Defcon5
    Participant

Well Virgin are already increasing MAN activity for 2017 with SFO and BOS coming online and the ATL flight switching with Delta to take over JFK. These will compliment the MCO, BGI and LAS operations.

Seems BA are now following what others do? FLL and OAK being other examples ex. LGW to combat Norwegian routes. Let’s wait and see!

esselle
    Participant

Surely it would cost more for BA to have a base at MAN for North Atlantic than it does for AA to fly to MAN from an existing base?

Any middle east/APAC flight I have taken over the last 5 years, with only a few exceptions, have been from MAN on EK, EY or QR.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

canucklad
    Participant

Sadly for our so called national carrier,they’ve managed to paint themselves into an unsustainable model of their own making. They find themselves having to the feed the hungry monster that is LHR ,whilst at the same time watching that same way food supply dwindle as the low hanging fruit of the region’s is picked off by its competitors.

Now smelling the coffee,far to late, they’re now scampering around trying to find a metaphorical affordable ladder to pluck what is left at the top of the tree.

And their dilemma still remains, once they’ve harvested their crop….continue to feed T5 ,the dinosaur model ,thats becoming hungrier and hungrier in this 787 point to point world or compete head to head from the region’s. .

London airways—- damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

mancvboy
    Participant

The competition at Manchester appears to be impacting on BA’s pricing. Recently researching flights to USA for 2017 where Man prices are c £100 cheaper in Econ/ £500 cheaper in Bus, than flying directly from LHR.

bluemooner
    Participant

In 2016, my wife and I did between us 40 air legs to 6 destinations from Manchester. Belfast, Vilnius, Stockholm, Athens, Zurich and Durban (twice). None of these involved BA. If BA operated from Manchester (other than to London) they might have got a sizeable proportion of my air expenditure (somewhere in the region of £10000. Instead Air France SAS Swiss Easyjet and Ryanair have benefited.
    in 2017 we are already scheduled for Frankfurt and Durban on Lufthansa and Air France respectively. £2500 already spent.
    When is BA going to wake up and smell the coffee. The majority of the population live outside London and hate transitting at Heathrow.

SimonS1
    Participant

I’d be surprised if there was demand for MAN to Durban. That’s why you have to transit in Paris or London.

Ditto for LH to Frankfurt, they are funneling people into their hub for onward connections. That’s why EK does MAN to DXB but BA doesn’t.

Doesn’t take Einstein to work that out I’m afraid.

icenspice
    Participant

Where is MAN?

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Icenspice….”Where is MAN”…..you are clearly a member of BA management….

icenspice
    Participant

Peter, you have clearly had too much Christmas pudding.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Sorry if I am wrong (more likely the rum sauce) but they will surely appoint you soon….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls