Stir that pot: BA may set up MAN base in 2017!

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

FDOS, you predicted the same unhappy outcome for BA’s flights to Malta, I seem to recall? They seem to be still operating…..

FDOS_UK
    Participant

You’re quite right, Tom.

Two of my assumptions proved to be off

1 – I expected a down turn in the UK economy, whcih hasn’t happened

2- I expected Air Malta to be stronger after the restructing and to complete fiercely

I have no problem admitting whn my predictions do not work out – that’s the nature of the work I do and there is always uncertainty about the future.

Let’s see what happens with trying to run a heavy schedule with a single aircraft, with a like for like product.

onajetplane
    Participant

Often wondered why EK doesn’t add an extension on to the US from MAN? JFK or EWR? LAX? I think they would do very well just like their MXP-JFK extension and soon to be ATH-EWR. A product that would be most welcomed at MAN going west I am sure! Albeit I can only guess the problems that lie ahead for EK in the US under this new “America First” era…

AMcWhirter
    Participant

onajetplane – Yes that’s so logical. There must be some reason (an aeropolitical one, perhaps ?) why EK hasn’t started this route already.

Mind you, fifth freedom routes don’t always work for EK and getting approval can be an issue.

Remember when EK flew HAM-JFK ? That route was quietly dropped.

And we’ve heard nothing further about its request to fly ZRH-MEX. Maybe the Swiss weren’t happy.

Emirates requests Zurich-Mexico flight

onajetplane
    Participant

AMcWhirter – Yes totally agree its not always easy, but I would imagine MAN might have more point-to-point options than HAM but then again more competition already exists. But they are going up against UA and Delta (albeit JFK) with the Athens launch… and do face good competition on the MXP route… Watch this space I guess… albeit I really do think the US Airlines and their lobbying against the ME carriers have now found a new friend in the Oval office…

esselle
    Participant

I may be wrong but don’t EK operate all services from MAN on 380’s now?

If so, economics may be one reason why they don’t go westbound.

drgc
    Participant

The only Saturday competition MAN – NCE is Jet2. Economy with them is currently £150 before bags, fees, lounge etc.
    Lets not kid ourselves, both operators will run a very heavy schedule and the knock on effect of delays will be significant for either.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=789244]The only Saturday competition MAN – NCE is Jet2. Economy with them is currently £150 before bags, fees, lounge etc.
    Lets not kid ourselves, both operators will run a very heavy schedule and the knock on effect of delays will be significant for either.

[/quote]

Many people don’t have to fly on Saturday morning, do they? they can alter their schedules to get the deal they would like.

All airlines run a heavy schedule, your comment shows a lack of comprehension about the difference between an airline running from a base (with options) and a singleton aircraft operating from a non-base. An order of magnitude of difference.

TheLion
    Participant

[quote quote=788817]So TheLion’s original post looks a remarkably prescient prediction!
    Maybe a long haul announcement is next? [/quote]

Thanks man but tbh it wasn’t a prediction, more thoughts of hope based on some rumours from a-net, which have proven to be correct! 🙂

I’d add that £240 for Club Europe to NCE is far from good value tbh. I’d only ever travel Club Europe as an upgrade, cheap Avios redemption or if there was a very rare occasion when the price was not much different to economy. There’s really little point in wasting money for minimal extra benefit.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=788817]So TheLion’s original post looks a remarkably prescient prediction!
    Maybe a long haul announcement is next?
    These seasonal s/h flights from MAN are a very welcome addition for those of us up north. Opening CE prices look fairly reasonable imo (MAN – NCE c.£240 return) given the inclusion of lounge access, F+B and a generous luggage allowance.

[/quote]

Does it?

I don’t see any sign of serious LH activity at Manchester. All I see is a few weekend flights to SH destinations designed to make use of the LCY fleet that would otherwise have been idle.

Two completely different things I would suggest.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls