Stand up against excess carry on luggage

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 86 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

It is indeed a good feeling Martyn. Brings back memories of the EDI BD lounge girls personally coming up to me on a Sunday evening to advise me that boarding was complete and it was to go.

Brilliant personalized service.

Like your thinking Cedric , on certain aircraft I nab the seats that taper into 2 which are located at the back of disembodied. And like Ian I don’t stress to rush to the baggage carousel just to stand about waiting.

ElaineNavarro
    Participant

Travelpro Luggage Maxlite 2 20″ Expandable Spinner is best carry on luggage known to me so far… I have been looking for such carrier from so long.. Finally I found it , having special grooved handle tubes provide extra strength and handle stability when supporting totes

For further details and queries , kindly visit the following website … It helps me alot in finding best one..
    http://www.bestcarryonluggagess.com

AzookiTravel
    Participant

At some point we agree that bringing excess carry-on luggage in the cabin will not only give you a hard time but also the other passengers. You might be holding the line of passengers entering because you cannot manage to lift and completely store your bag in the overhead locker.

We should also take in consideration that some passengers might be running late for their next flight upon arrival and so he wouldn’t want to wait for his bag on the luggage carousel. lol!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

This is just getting stupid. The airlines are the cause of these sorts of incidents by forcing people to wear clothes, rather than accept the additional charges for over weight luggage or indeed just hand luggage.

I really like Cedric’s S ( I am sure it was his post) post where he suggests that airlines should charge for hand baggage, but allow free checked baggage.

One day there is going to be a death when a passengers overloads with worn clothes to avoid charges..

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/boyband-singer-collapses-on-easyjet-after-donning-12-layers-of-clothes-to-avoid-luggage-fee/ar-AAcOprs?ocid=SKY2DHP

LuganoPirate
    Participant

On my return from London yesterday, having boarded and all seated a lady stood up and wanted to get off the plane. the reason being she was told she could not bring her carry on on board. She explained that she see’s other passengers with carry on’s, some larger than hers, so will fly BA instead!

Quite amazing but she was insistent and off she went causing more delay as they had to offload her bag. Result of all the delays was we missed out connecting flight and had a three hour wait at Zurich!

What worried me, was she put something at the back of the plane (she was in row 9) then went to retrieve it. Did she leave anything else that could be a security risk? I guess not as we all landed safely, but still!!!

MrMichael
    Participant

Golly LP, that’s a can of worms your opening. I guess the secure answer is everybody off taking all belongings with them, back to the boarding area, see if anything is left over onboard.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I agree MrMichael. Maybe it’s what should have been done. I’m already a nervous flyer so every bump seemed 10 times worse as I was convinced this was the LX Titanic, preceded by several omens. An entire sports team boarding. The flight number LX333 and then this!

On a serious note though, if a passenger decides to get off, should all the pax be off boarded with their hand luggage to see if anything is left behind? Inconvenient but would make me feel safer.

KarlMarx
    Participant

LuganoPirate – 11/07/2015 00:25 BST

Didn’t the crew do a security check when she had left and ask everyone to identify their luggage?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Just heard on BBC Radio news that one James McElvar, a boy band member travelling from London to Glasgow, attempted to get out of paying EZY £45 for additional checked and carry-on baggage by instead opting to wear some 12 layers of clothing. He duly passed out onboard from heat exhaustion…!

Nearly (but not quite) a contender for the 2015 Darwin Awards

TominScotland
    Participant

AnthonyDunn +1, I like it!! I have seen ‘Ryanair jackets’ advertised with about 12 deep pockets to reduce the weight of hand luggage.

I fully concur with the sentiments expressed here BUT there are situations when travelling with hand luggage max is the only realistic way to go. That is when transferring in many larger European airports (Asian ones generally do rather better) where, in my experience, checked bags will not follow unless given between 2 – 3 hours to do so. Transfers within T5 at Heathrow are not too bad but connect via T3 or to oneworld partners and things get very dodgy. Amsterdam is awful in this respect, especially as KLM do sell ridiculously short connecting times which may be fine for passengers but not for luggage.

canucklad
    Participant

If he’s a typical teenager, and taking into account he was heading home to Gregory’s girl country ,Cumbernauld I don’t think I would have been keen to sit next to him.

Still, every cloud has a silver lining …….. Rewind back to yesterday morning and I had never heard of James or his band.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

KarlMarx, no, the FA took a cursory look in the bin above her but no one was asked to identify anything.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Early in this thread MartynS was suggesting that control needs applying at security – this does not work as the different airlines have different regs concerning weight/size/numbers of carryons – only general regs will sort this

That the idiot had god knows how many clothes on is the result of the lack of general regulation – the fault of the airlines

Aussi regs were once sorted at security – I was turned back in Perth for a 55cm bag as Qantas max size was then 50 cm

A friend returning to europe was blocked in Melbourne for overweight for a 10 kilos carryon – easily sorted by putting heavy items into her pockets…

I rather enjoyed p**sing off the Qantas check staff in who had explained “its a matter of safety madam” by pointing out I wouldn’t dare risk flying business with them in future as in that cabin they allowed “unsafe” 10 kg carry-ons

TominScotland
    Participant

Flightlevel
    Participant

Safety of Hand Baggage offloaded to the Hold at the gate:
    Correspondents here no doubt know Lithium batteries are not allowed in the checked in luggage on pax aircraft. ICAO is currently looking into how to carry such batteries safely.
    All airlines however have restrictions on too much hand luggage & take some hand luggage at the gate to put into the hold. Do they also ask for the removal of Lithium batteries at the gate? Does anyone here know if they or their friends & family have ever ‘accidentally’ not removed such batteries given they usually have only seconds to give excess hand luggage to the gate operator & did the gate person ask you to remove such batteries in a pc, tablet or cellphone? Such a situation should only be confessed anonymously or in heresay in the interests of safety! I suggest millions of Lithium batteries are put in the holds of pax aircraft every year by pax with little knowledge or time to remove them?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 86 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls