Stand up against excess carry on luggage

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 86 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Simons1 – worry not, you would get a receipt for your bag after you had been sent back to check in to drop it off. 🙂

The boarding process could be speeded up starting boarding 5 minutes earlier….

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Flybe in the UK has a unique way to solve this problem. They operate the Bombardier Dash 8 on a lot of the UK domestic routes. It seems that they or the handling agents no longer bother to keep stocks of ballast to use. With the aircrafts luggage hold in the rear, with a high payload of business travellers with no luggage other than carry on they cannot get the trim. Several times at the gate they seek volunteers to hand over cabin luggage for trim, and best was a few weeks ago when we had to form a human chain in the aircraft aisle and pass down all our hand luggage in response to an announcement that there is again no ballast so if you don’t offer your hand luggage as trim then we are not leaving!!

canucklad
    Participant

I’ve mentioned this idea before and I’m going to mention it again after reading Ian’s comment.

I travel light and I pay for a degree of comfort including leaving space for my feet under the seat in front of me. I also have an allocated seat, so particularly on long haul flights choose to board when I get the nod from the dispatcher.

The simple solution is to divide the overhead lockers and evenly allocate each seat an equal amount of space. For this to work airlines would need to educate customers of the change. The excess baggage problems might not be sorted overnight but I’m confident that eventually people would learn.

Sadly, I’m convinced that the airlines promote this behaviour rather than condone it. So frustratingly it’s back to just having to put up with it

BigDog.
    Participant

canucklad – 17/06/2014 10:14 GMT +1

Am in full agreement.

Further Pax have clued into even when overlarge or excess (due to capacity being filled) baggage gets off-loaded from the cabin, it often is put in the f’ward hold usually with crew luggage. This is nearly always unloaded first.
    So basically those passengers abusing the system not only inconvenience other passengers but are usually rewarded!

The increased likelihood that “ones” directly overhead space has been taken by someone “passing through” the business cabin forces early boarding unfortunately.

handbag
    Participant

canucklad – 17/06/2014 10:14 GMT The simple solution is to divide the overhead lockers and evenly allocate each seat an equal amount of space. For this to work airlines would need to educate customers of the change. The excess baggage problems might not be sorted overnight but I’m confident that eventually people would learn.

Don’t think that dividing the overhead lockers would work , as lots of seats do not have a locker either above it or within a few seats and some have equipment that is permanently placed there. I am pretty sure if all the lockers were divided up to fit one average wheelie bag, then there would not be room to allocate a space for everyone. This could perhaps work in First and Club, but definitely not in WT. Luckily some bring more and some bring less.

How I wish the ground staff would stop the extra / large bags getting on the aircraft in the first place. There is a gauge, but how often is it used???

SimonS1
    Participant

Can’t see that working either Canucklad.

First airlines wouldn’t spend the money to modify the lockers.

Second with the new enhanced seating on BA the space allocated on say an A320 would be so small as to be unuseable by the vast majority of people.

I don’t understand why it needs to be left until the gate or on the plane to sort out? Surely you look at the end to end process and deal with it at the first opportunity. That is either at the check in area, or on the entry to the security area.

handbag
    Participant

The check in area is now becoming more and more difficult to sort out hand baggage as, so many people take hand baggage only and do not speak to an employee of the airline they are flying with.

Do not think Security would feel it is part of their remit.

Lots of airlines do deal with it successfully at the boarding gate and are very consistent.

SimonS1
    Participant

The only airlines I have seen deal effectively with it are the low cost operators who use the gauges (sometimes over zealously).

I haven’t seen many legacy airlines make much of an effort.

Zitgeist
    Participant

Why do not self loading cargo acceppt they are not high on the foodchain?

If you buy a tickett on an airline, handluggage is the airline problem , not yours, so read the Sun and leave the baggage for the professional crew.

Mit freundlich grüssen, zitgeist B737 Kommandant

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“Do not think Security would feel it is part of their remit.” – agreed.

My suggestion is to position someone outside the security area, just like the people checking whether you have liquids. A large sign with the hand baggage policy within in everyone’s vision and simply pointing people back to check in if they exceed the amount of hand baggage. it really is quite simple.

The excess baggage at the gate is a separate issue……….

IanFromHKG
    Participant

As I have said previously, HK used to have a similar system although it was an “eyesight check” rather than a guage check. I think they still do it for anything which is obviously way over-size. CX certainly used to give out little tags for oversize (or multiple) bags to confirm that they had approved the item being taken on board (I used to get them from time to time although I am not sure whether that was because I am a FF or flying in a premium cabin), nad part of that would be torn off by the security staff. I haven’t experienced it for some time, but then I tend not to go overboard with carry-on nowadays.

It still doesn’t fix the issue for purchases within the airport, though.

Drsimon
    Participant

why not do like SAS do on their smaller planes – at the gate if something is too big to go onboard it is tagged and left at the steps to be loaded in the hold and then collected when leaving the plane again at the other end – doesnt delay anyone and allows people to take the slightly larger bags as hand luggage (ie not formerly checked in as hold baggage) and then make a quick exit from the plane when it lands rather than waiting???

canucklad
    Participant

A possible solution is at security. And a bit of radical thinking and change in airport design. You simply station an airline employee who visually checks offenders as they stand in the queue.
    The offending pieces of luggage are tagged and removed from them ,not to be collected at the gate as some have proposed but at the carousel on arrival. To expedite this process airports build a chute at the security point that connects with the luggage system.

However,you just have to look at the other topic today to see that airlines rather than tackle the problem are actively promoting the practice. I’m fear one day all airlines will aspire to be frightenair.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@canucklad – positioning an Airline employee to visually check the Q will not work. I am sure there are a high % of pax that now go kerbside direct to security armed with a self printed boarding pass. How will an airline employee know which airline the hoarder in the Q is flying and you cant have several airline reps checking the Q’s.

With regards to the shopping bags, this is down to the individual airlines to police…. once airside its another story…

Remember also that baggage retrieval, is the one part of travel that is not checked..

IanFromHKG
    Participant

MartynSinclair – 18/06/2014 08:52 GMT : Remember also that baggage retrieval, is the one part of travel that is not checked..

In Europe,…

At some airports in Asia – notably India and also in Manila (not sure about other Philippines airports) – baggage tags are checked by security against ID on exit

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 86 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls