SQ baggage allowance seems ridiculously low

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

As posted previously on here, the Memsahib and I are looking to leave HK. Much as we love it, and have loved it for thirty-odd years, it isn’t the same any more and we want to move back to Europe; and I really wanted us to go out in style, in First Class. However:

{content}

CX don’t do F to London any more
    BA aren’t flying this route until after we intend to leave

{content}

The Middle East product, airlines all require the midnight shuffle

So… I was looking at doing SQ. By all accounts, fabulous product. We would get F on a B777 to Singapore and then they A380 Suites to London. But….

The baggage allowance is 50kg.

I get (through oneworld emerald status) roughly double that on an intra-Europe BA J flight.

50kg is ludicrously low even for a J ticket in long haul,

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Can’t seem to edit the above answer, so apologies for the weird formatting errors.

Just to add insult to injury, the SQ website says “When you fly with us, we offer you a generous baggage allowance across all classes of travel”. Ahem!! Don’t think so…

For every additional kilogram on that route, SQ charge US$42.

I really wanted to do SQ – the Suites look fantastic – but at that cost for extra baggage (when, as we are both oneworld emerald, we can take 126kg each on QR/CX etc) it just doesn’t seem sensible.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions let me know! I am looking at luggage couriers/shipping but their quotations are expensive too.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi Ian – I was going to suggest a great way to leave HKG with as much baggage as you want is to look for a PJ (preferably and empty leg). The demand for PJ travel has sky rocketed in recent months, especially across the Atlantic, where prices have increased and demand is outstripping supply.

1 user thanked author for this post.

GrahamC
    Participant

Take a look at SendMyBag, looks like they’re around $250 for a 30kg case from HK -> UK.

I sent a couple of cases with them last week and while they haven’t arrived yet, my apple AirTags suggest they’re heading in the right direction to arrive as scheduled on Thursday 🙂

Just make sure you check the destination guide properly to make sure you comply with all the customs requirements prior to pick up.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Cannot imagine carrying 126kg per person at this days in air travel, that is 5 large bags of 25kg each! Used to see that in movies where a heroine or some princess will have 10 suitcases and that was projected as humoresque.

Unnecessary remarks aside, from my experience, if one travels SQ first class, they will normally allow 2 large suitcases even if the total weight in the region of 60kg. Plus 2 carryon luggage are allowed in first class that is another 20kg.

But if one must carry 100+kg per person, best option is courier as other suggested.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Ian – latest news is that BA will not return to the HKG route until December 5. Daily flights from December 18.

Even that date might slip. From experience I know airlines like to ‘drip feed’ bad news.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Just to clarify one more point, Ian wrote he has one emerald status, the equivalent in SQ of that is PPS club.
    And PPS club members do get 100kg check in baggage allowance in First class – so not much difference.

2 users thanked author for this post.

SGJNI1961
    Participant

IanFromHKG

In dismissing the Middle East product, had you considered the 2/3 night stopover which they are normally keen to encourage with the option of a 5* hotel for a nominal cost? Also allows you to better time the connection into London. Just a thought.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Hi IanFromHKG, probably you already know about it but in case you don’t, you could check packing tea chests (which may be sold by the post office) and taking them to a HKG post office (sea freight rates) for a move e.g. to the UK, while you fly obviously. Need to check allowed weight and prices first of course.

All the best with your move.

2 users thanked author for this post.

DannyBoy
    Participant

Hi Ian, how about not taking the plane and treating the Mem to a world cruise back to Southampton? I believe Cunard has routes from Hong Kong for the same price if not less.

cwoodward
    Participant

Ian CX 1st to LHR
    I was told yesterday that it would restart when sufficient stored 777ER’s are available to resume – probably early October…….but know CX announcement yet.

christ
    Participant

I do not think Singapore Airlines is that bad. Qatar as one world emerald is appalling as based on weight v pieces. It cost me a lot on excess baggage which would have been free on BA. Also the service on Singapore Airlines was outstanding.

BA and Cathay are far better as by piece up to 32kg – and BA first (with emerald) 4 times 32kg (as i think Cathay is).

Just sad few passenger flights from HK to Europe / US for now. Hopefully change next year but I also heard that BA will not return until December at the earliest. Not sure re Virgin as I thought they were meant to be September – maybe they still are? I know American will not return until at least Summer 2023 – but who knows as things change so quickly.

With more quarantine hotels being added and despite the chat of 3 (hotel) and 4 (home quarantine) and vice versa, I do not see too much hope. If it was the case, they would not add major chains from 1 August such as Renaissance Harbour View with 800 plus rooms from 1 Aug.

It will be interesting to see what happens in November.

However i do see BA and Cathay (and even American and Qantas) have very generous luggage allowance versus others.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1226301]

Thanks, Martyn, that sounds fantastic – but where would I look? Of course, if you’re volunteering (I seem to recall you pilot PJs), let me know!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1226304]

Thanks, Graham, but we aren’t returning to the UK, we are going to Gibraltar. That rather limits the options on international baggage couriers!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1226314]

The problem is we will be in HK for at least six weeks after moving out of our apartmen (we’ll be in a serviced apartment instead)t, and we are desperately trying to squeeze all our belongings (including some furniture) from our apartment (and thirty years of living in HK) into a 20-foot container given current horrendous shipping prices. Plus, of course, shipping is currently moving rather slowly. So the more luggage we can take with us, the better. Remember this is an international move, not just a trip! To some extent we are looking to take bulk rather than weight, but of course the more weight allowance you have, the more bulk you can carry.

On the OW carriers we are considering we would get 4 bags of 32kg each (rather than 5 of 25kg)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls