SQ baggage allowance seems ridiculously low

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1227818]

Should have added that we have been checking the customs requirements very carefully – we even have explicit confirmation from Gibraltar Customs that we can import my sword (a family heirloom)!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1226337]

Thank you for the suggestion. I had considered this but the Memsahib isn’t keen, for various (annoyingly sensible) reasons, and Senior Management has prevailed!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1226350]

Thanks, GivingUpBA, that is an excellent suggestion and one we have already been working on, albeit in a different context. The Offspring are here for their last summer in HK and we already have boxes on the dining table waiting to be posted back to the UK for them – things they have left here and want to keep but don’t urgently need. And you are right that the cost is surprisingly reasonable.

Less so, however, for Gibraltar, where the maximum limit is 20kg anyway and can take many months. This is stuff we want straight away until our shipment arrives, which will probably be weeks later! It will include a whole bunch of stuff I need for work 🙁

1 user thanked author for this post.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1226354]

What a wonderful suggestion! I hadn’t;t thought of that, and spent a happy hour researching it, until it all became unhappy when I realised that there aren’t (at least so far as I can find) any such sailings – probably due to Hong Kong’s continuing (and still insane) quarantine rules. Thanks for the idea, though!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1226330]

Quite a big difference, actually. A non-status F pax on CX would get 3 x 32 kg – almost double that on SQ. I acknowledge that the uplift for status on SQ is bigger (50kg) than the status uplift on CX (32 kg), but whichever way you cut it, SQ’s allowance is pretty spartan. Non-status on SQ 50kg, status on SQ 100kg. Non-status on CX 96kg, status on CX 128kg.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1226374]

That would be wonderful – I am going to call CX today to see if that is true and try to get a redemption ticket! Please do let me know if you get any more information…

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Finally – thanks to all for their input and apologies for the delay in replying (and to anyone I may have missed), as well as the sudden flurry of responses. Life has been all too interesting, recently, on the health front – nothing serious or long-lasting but I’ve been out of action for a while (gastroenteritis, colitis, sacro-iliac joint problems requiring a hospital procedure, back pain requiring the sort of medication that would knock out a small elephant (prescription: 8 Tramadol plus 8 paracetamol plus Lyrica each day, which were making the gastro worse so that was *fun*) and – just to cap it all off – suspected Covid, all since I started the thread).

I am, I am happy to say, much better now on all fronts so please don’t clutter up the thread with good wishes – just wanted to explain why today is the first time I have replied. If anyone has a better excuse, I am yet to hear it!

4 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Ian – glad your better
    Re CX 1st class -just discovered that they short term leased 4 777s all with 1st to Qatar in 2020 thus they are 4 aircraft with 1st class short and not a huge number in the fleet in the first place.
    BTW my original info came from a CX captain -normally a reliable source over the years but I wouldn’t put the house on the info. I cant get anything firmer from Cathay sources today ether ‘probably before the end of the year but it will be announced’ was the best.

1 user thanked author for this post.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1228130]

Many thanks, cwoodward. Our wonderful travel agent has managed to secure us tickets on CX (and onwards to Gibraltar on BA) inJ for under HK$40k each which is nigh on miraculous, so it looks as though that’s what we’ll be doing. First class would have been nice, but sadly isn’t likely to work

Interestingly, BA refuses to let us travel on their flight which leaves 90 minutes after our scheduled arrival because of insufficient connection time, in flagrant contradiction of their website that suggests MCT is an hour (Gib flights depart LHR from T3 so there is no terminal change). Bastards. Still, at least we can shower and change and enjoy the fabulous CX F lounge!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls