Small pet dogs and cats traveling in aircraft cabins

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

• AndrewinHK
    Participant

The issue of allergies, VA did clearly state that pets will be allowed in designated rows only, so one would hope most with allergies won’t be adversely affected as long as they steer clear of those rows.

1 user thanked author for this post.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Would people with allergies know to avoid said rows?

Ralph
    Participant

No mention had been made of those passengers alergic to Cats & Dogs hair? Didn’t airlines stop giving out peanuts for fear of causing distress to alergic passengers some time ago. I for one would not like to be sat next to a cat or a dog on a plane!

DanielRawson
    Participant

Please give me a dog all day long over passengers I have to sit with on some flights. Dogs sleep most of the time, don’t complain, eat what they are given, and never demand an upgrade. They don’t talk on their phones on speaker or watch their films without headphones. While they don’t wear shoes on the plane, their feet are clean, and they don’t kick the back of your seat. Personally, I’d rather be the only human on a dog-only flight.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

IMO, all pets must go to cargo hold. When someone travelling in public transport, individual preferences need to be sacrificed.

Exceptions could by like guide dog of blind people or similar circumstances. The emotional companion type of thing need to be stopped as there is no end.

cwoodward
    Participant

I totally disagree with your point ‘Inquisitive’.
    Firstly it is I believe debatable as to weather aircraft are ‘public transport’ – we all have a choice!!!
    Secondly what is your reasoning please . I ask because I don’t understand how a small dog (or cat) in a container placed under the seat on a short flight could possible disturb,
    Could you please explain.

ASK1945
    Participant

CW: “weather aircraft”- you need to fix your autocorrect software!

cwoodward
    Participant

Tanks for the advise

2 users thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

cwoodward, I said there is no end to this and it becomes very contentious what should be allowed or not allowed. What about pet snakes or tarantulas for which owners can say they are restrained and harmless. And one can spend hours debating what is a small dog. A Pitbull terrier can be small and many owners will vouch that their pets are the best behaved. And cats could be dangerous in a confined space.

cwoodward
    Participant

Many any have a view but the airlines decide re pets on board of course.
    I see little that is contentious here as the airline policies are black and white.
    What is a small dog is defined and many airlines take pets
    I and others here believe that more airlines should take pets.

Seemingly you do not want pets in aircraft cabins although this has been happening at least for the past 35 years. I of course well understand your view but suggest that it is a minority one.

DanielRawson
    Participant

If you don’t want to travel with a dog on your flight, then you should book an airline that has a no-pet policy. The airline has the right to decide on their policy, and it is up to the passenger to choose which airline they want to travel with.

Nick Pike
    Participant

It’s an interesting one. I’m allergic to both dogs and cats, and whilst I’ve never been hospitalised with the allergy a long haul sector with a dog particularly in close proximity would make me quite unwell (plus disturbing everyone close by with an asthma attack). There will be other passengers who have far more serious versions of the same allergy.

What does the airline do then? Entire aircraft are asked not to eat nuts if one passenger has a nut allergy. Can I say to the airline the passenger has to leave the dog behind? That hardly seems fair. Or can I insist that the airline find me a seat on a flight without a dog?

(In reality if the airline sat me in a different part of the aircraft personally I’d be fine, although one wonders if i’d be credited back any fare difference if that meant a downgrade. The allergy is sufficiently severe that I would sooner be sat at the back of economy with no animals around than in first next to one).

cwoodward
    Participant

I can see absolutely no reason why any half decent airline that takes pets would not have some policy in place that would cover your circumstance Nick. Or of course take an airline that does not take pets – most don’t.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Are pets allowed on trains in the UK (or elsewhere)?

cwoodward
    Participant

Yes BOTP in UK and most other countries.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls