Sign the Petition to the UK Govt. to Keep IRIS Open Beyond the Olympics

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

• Binman62
    Participant

It just 182 signatures….

Is this not a bit like re arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic?

IRIS if retained really would not greatly assist the mess at LHR, it might assist a few but not the majority.

Flyertalk reports of 3 hour plus waits yesterday for non EU passports. really cannot see how few extra IRIS will help. I would be delighted if it did but there is simply no evidence to support this.

RichHI1
    Participant

Binman I see it as reversing the tide. Stopping scrapping is phase 1, increasing machines to usable amount (say 20 or 30 ) is phase 2 and maybe introducing ESTA like scheme to pre clear vast majority of low risk passengers Phase 3.

Binman62
    Participant

I can se the logic in that argument but surely the e readers, which do not require registration, and include all EU passports is the way to go?

Whatever the merits of either system the process is broken now and needs immediate emergency care until a coherent strategy backed by investment in the technology and management is in place….and on current form…..this is low season after all………it is a disaster waiting to happen

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I just signed – only 356 signatures. Don’t hold your breath…

“RichHI1 – 18/04/2012 11:35 GMT : I also say again there should be a UK and Irish Passport holders lane not in place of the EEA lane but in addition.”

Rich, why on earth should the UK single out Irish passportholders as a special case?

RichHI1
    Participant

Ian from HongKong, it is historic. When the Republic of Ireland was created as a free state, there was no creation of a passport requirement when crossing between the ROI and the UK. Once you have entered the UK you are entitled to enter the ROI and vice versa. You may be asked to provide a proof of idenitity but for immigration purposes it is treated as one area. I believe the only exception is that both states retain the right to exclude individuals, as happened during the Troubles with certain republicans entering the UK.
    This common area does not apply to customs and though both states are members of the EU there are customs controls notably with imposition of duties and VAT.
    As the ROI and the UK are one immigration area, ROI citizens should be included in a UK citizens line.
    If you like the UK and ROI introduce their version of Schengen years before the EU. Needless to say both the UK and the ROI have refused to join Schengen and control their borders independently. As a by the way, the Irish Immigration service and border patrol is functioning much more successfully than the UK shambles.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Thanks, Rich. You (or in this case I) live and learn…

salars1
    Participant

i posted this link on flyer talk. seems to have drummed up some more action. moved up a 100 in a day.

andrew.gill
    Participant

I arrived from the US at 05h on Saturday morning and tried to use IRIS and was rejected.

I’ve used the gates every month or so for many years but received a printout telling my details were matched but I was no longer authorised to use the gates. The Immigration Office checked my passport normally, said she didn’t know why IRIS hadn’t worked but it wouldn’t be available for much longer.

I have emailed the enquiries email address but didn’t get a reply yet

Andrew

Swissdiver
    Participant

“You must be a British citizen or normally live in the UK to create or sign e-petitions.” Ouch… I am not although I am an Iris user :-/

RichHI1
    Participant

If you are not a British Citizen or resident you will not have a file that can be added to when you dare to complain 🙂
    To paraphrase Dickens ” please sir, I don’t want any more, I just want it now!”

RichHI1
    Participant

As Napoleon observed, Britain is a nation of shopkeepers. A tax on Pasties or who won I am a celebrity talent x factor dancer on ice is far more relevant to the average British Citizen than whether their immigration service works. If you look at those nations with performing economies they are those who value commerce and international business.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Don’t think this one has legs….

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Latest on IRIS (best thing ever )
    Just picked up my wife this afternoon from T4 (Eti,Bk via Abu D) and she tells that the wonderful “IRIS” machines that we have been using for the last 5 years plus thus avoiding the long Qs at Immigration have now gone.

Back to the shuffle.

One giant step forward and six back….RIP

BeckyBoop
    Participant

e-gates seem to generally be working well

VintageKrug
    Participant

IRIS was working fine in T5 yesterday (although one of them was roped off).

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls