Sign the Petition to the UK Govt. to Keep IRIS Open Beyond the Olympics

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

• excessbaggage
    Participant

Binman62 – i have a “red” passport but it’s not chipped so i can’t use the e-gates either. It runs out in July 2013.

RichHI1
    Participant

UK Pasports can be renewed early (up to 9 months worth of unexpired credit can be added). so if your passport expires in 2013, you can renew 9 months ahead and not lose the unexpired portion.

(Unfortunately for me even though I have the thick one it normally lasts 4 years tops.)

theworldtraveller
    Participant

I arrived at terminal 5 last night at 9.30pm (so not the busiest time of the day) and the WHOLE of the arrival hall for immigration was full, never seen it like that

Everytime someone got called to go the the next immigration desk, the crowd cheered

this has got beyond a joke at T5 – It has been happening most days over the past few weeks.

BT – please run some articles on this

VintageKrug
    Participant

This is very much a go-slow being engineered by the PCS Union.

Any journalistic attention should ensure that the PCS representatives are able to give their perspectives – objectively challenged with facts, naturally.

http://www.pcs.org.uk/en/news_and_events/news_centre/index.cfm/id/F20389D9-079A-4D56-87A10D8408C2A425

It doesn’t seem unreasonable that fewer border staff will be needed as more and more people use e-gates. It does seem, though, that the e-gates aren’t as good as IRIS and are also slower. There also aren’t enough of them.

Two questions which should get to the heart of the matter:

1. What is the normal capacity of a UK Border Agent processing passports per hour, and has this improved or got worse over the past year? If so, by how much?

2. Are Border Agents rostered to align with expected passenger demand (e.g. early morning peak)? Who controls the rostering? Has the process for rostering changed recently? Are there any periods when there is overcapacity?

RichHI1
    Participant

Agreed.

Though I would find it difficult to gather the information in an honest and unbiassed manner I would like to see how many UKBA staff could be saved and/or what the effect on wait times would be for incremental new a) IRIS and b) EPASS gates.

We should invest in new technology, the problem is that whoever gathers the facts will use conventions and methodologies to support the political view (be it UKBA should have large workforce, UKBA should get rid of most employees or non European citizens are irrelevant to Britain’s interests.)

I also say again there should be a UK and Irish Passport holders lane not in place of the EEA lane but in addition.

On a second point, I had a discussion with a friend the other day about the parlous state of Border services in the UK. The US introduced ESTA to expedite VisitUSA Visa Waiver travel, so travellers details are pre-entered. Is there a means where the UK could use a similar system so that more informstion gathering and routine processing can be automated and done in advance? Airlines already do this to a limited extent but maybe a pre-clearance on line would separate out the routine from the exceptions and cut waste. Australia moved to Internet Visas and other countries have probably made more use of technology for Border Servcies than the UK.

RichHI1
    Participant

Excellent, signatures have more than doubled since last night…. It would be fantastic fi we could get something changed through common sense.

VintageKrug
    Participant

133 signatures gathered. Just 99,867 to go….!

I am not hopeful. Even my optimism is dimmed by such lowly support.

west49th
    Participant

The e-gates are fine for British Citizens, but long term visa holders or residents who don’t yet qualifty for citizenship can’t use them, whereas the IRIS system can be used by anyone given leave to remain for over 6 months.

And the e-gates are usually closed at Birmingham, leading to even longer queues!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Signed the petition.

By the way, although I am a non resident, the UAE lets me have an e-gates card, meaning I can bypass the late night queues at DXB and AUH.

There is an admin cost of GBP33, payable every 2 years and the office is accessible (landside) and is open 24×7.

Please take note UK, it seems that a country where I hold neither citizenship nor residence permission, cares more about easing my entry and exit.

I got my first e-gates card in 2007, when I briefly had an Ek silver card, but when that expired, I simply moved to a normal one. GBP16.50 per year is a small cost for easy entry to a country I visit a lot.

Info here

http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_faqs_egate_5072.aspx

Just one point, no need to take a passport photo, the officer will take your picture with a digital camera.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I do think there should be paid-for access for foreign nationals.

It would help fund the system, speed the journeys of frequent travellers and free up customs agents to focus on higher risk individuals. Makes total sense.

I’ve not used an e-gate but people who can access them seem to think they are slower than IRIS?

RichHI1
    Participant

I have long argued fir IRIS to be a paid self funding service for all. In NL there is a charge as there is in USA. The additional convenience is worth paying for. Whether Foreign nationals pay more is an additional question. What is iniquitous is to give foreign visitors leave to remain in the UK and then try to impose the EU-PASS gates which treat non EEA pasport holders as having no rights whatsoever. International business and investment is built on travel and this should be made easier. Any attempt to put up additional barriers i( sorry for pun) s highly regrettable, in my view.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Well done VintageKrug for posting a relevant topic, makes a nice change.

Can I ask, have you cross posted it to your other haunts on Flyertalk and Pprune? If not, might I suggest you do as there is rather a shortfall on the required number of signatures.

I have signed.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Excellent post VirtualKrug, nice to see you have started a relevant topic.

It’s a shame there are only 190 signatures, maybe everyone except other posters here has the same hassle free experiences of LHR that you do so they will see no need to maintain IRIS.

RichHI1
    Participant

I fear there are many who have not heard about it. 5 people want the deaht penalty for parking offences and the Mail and Express would have it across their front covers, similar pavlovian reactions form the broadsheets on House Price changes by .00001% but the majority of Journalists are not interested or informed about anything overseas like travel.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I would have thought VirtualKrug would have posted it on FlyerTalk and Prune at least though maybe he’s barred at the moment.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls