Shocking Incompetence of bmi’s Diamond Club Systems Upgrade

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

bmi has had a checkered relationship with technology.

Whilst being at the forefront of SMS bar code check in (which actually does work!) with partner Lufthansa, their online functionality leaves much to be desired. Many are frustrated with the need for over reliance on the Pune-based call centre.

So it was with some relief members of their frequent flyer scheme, Diamond Club, were informed of a forthcoming upgrade to systems.

Naturally, no mention was given of this upgrade on their funereally black website, which replaced the previous refreshingly clear and simple interface.

But those with an accurate email on file were given advance warning that reward redemptions and mileage queries would not be available during the second week in May.

So, now the dust has settled, we were looking forward to some improvements, and a solid platform at last.

Having been through similar upgrades in the past it was hoped bmi would have learned from the mistakes caused by the often frustrating lack of testing which has plagued this sellotape-and-string online interface.

Not a bit of it.

The latest iteration of the website seems to be just a bad, if not worse, than the version it replaced. And fare from learning from mistakes, it seems very limited testing has been carried out to ensure smooth running from day one.

A genuinely incompetent roll out, and one for which bmi management should be ashamed.

Bloggers have so fare identified 21 errors, the new site having been available for less than 24 hours:

Membership number is showing lots of extra 0’s and not the correct status number (1,3,6 etc)

– Some MAJOR login issues (users can’t log on to DC)

– (not a bug but new coding) New Codes causing confusion

– Update my details – Broken

– Cancelled redemptions not showing with some listing issues

– Online Shopping may be messed up as it passes the modified membership number over – and your old transactions aren’t visible (unless you modify the DC number to something a bit more recognisable – Carried f/w from previous incarnation)

– Reports of missing miles (double check your numbers people and file as appropriate)

– Manage My Booking has been cleaned out

– When editing account : “Country” is now mandatory, so you can’t go any further until you fill it in

– When editing account : Newsletter preference has reset to the top value, ie ‘news about my accounts’

– When editing account : All the “flying and you” fields have been lost, so you have to key then all in again to proceed.

– Buy Miles – Broken

– Online booking with miles breaks at Step 4

– Some serious username/password broken going on

– Mileage display duplication when Clicking on ‘spend miles online’ and then ‘flights’ (no need to go any further and choose a route etc) then Go back to the members page

– Phantom duplicate entries appearing

– Date of expiry of status has gone on holiday

– Password retrieval function broken – have to phone ICC to reset

– ? Flights NOT posting (Not posting until 14th May.. we hope)

– ? Log-on resetting after visiting another page (please check your cookies)

– ? New BMI numbers now required for booking flights online – however there are “issues” doing this for two or more people.

21 pretty major bugs there.

Anyone else having problems?

BAGoldcard
    Participant

I am not as familiar with the site, but am frustrated that I cannot view flights made by my corporate travel agent.

Also, how long does it take for flights to show? I travelled on Saturday and the flights has still not recorded on my records, even though I gave my card in at check in and the boarding pass appeared to sow my BD membership, although no number was shown. How long should I wait before sending in my boarding pass and “ticket” (sic).

Not as good as BA at all!

continentalclub
    Participant

Some time ago, it was generally accepted that what should have been the ‘pre-production’ testing of British Leyland’s cars was actually carried out by their hapless customers.

British Leyland changed its name and was bought by Germany’s BMW.

BMW quickly realised that they had bought a company which needed intensive care. Their ‘English Patient’ ultimately proved untreatable however and, with grieving relatives standing impotently around, the plug was mercifully plugged.

With abominable web development, ludicrous call centre support, route withdrawals, equipment and service level downgrades, bmi British Leyland Airways appears to be flying the flag for a great British tradition.

Business Traveller replies:

We contacted Bmi for a reponse to the original post below, and have received the following reply from Juliet Hutchin, head of loyalty:

“It is good to see our Diamond Club members are so passionate about the introduction of our new loyalty system. Unfortunately we are experiencing some technical difficulties with our website, and currently some of the functionality within our member log in area isn’t yet live. The good news is that all of the issues raised are being worked on as top priority, and we anticipate that the website will be fully live within a few days. We’d like to thank members for their patience and apologise for any inconvenience caused.”

corkie*
    Participant

In response to BAgoldcard:
    The system was down for upgrade during the time of your flight and bmi advised all diamond club members that it may take a while longer to credit their accounts with flights taken during the period of the system upgrade. Which when you think about it from a technical perspective, is pretty fair…

Travellator
    Participant

Have been trying to access my account from 10 am yesterday. Says my password is incorrect ! It hasnt changed.
    I want to book a redemption flight for my daughter to return home but to no avail. Is this a devious trick for BMi to make us pay for travel instead of enjoying the benefits of ” the best frequent flyer reward scheme “

Sort this out NOW BMi it is TOTALLY unacceptable !

Business Traveller replies:

We have today received a customer email update from Bmi Diamond Club, with the following information:

“Thank you for your patience whilst we updated our Diamond Club system. We’re pleased to announce that the new system is now live.

There are still changes to be made on our website which will be completed over the next few days. Detailed below are some changes
    we’d like you to be aware of.

11 digit membership number

Your Diamond Club membership number has changed from 8 to 11 digits:

• You can log into your Diamond Club online account using your 8 or 11 digit membership number and still use your existing password

• When you view your Diamond Club details online you will see your new 11 digit number

• Your new 11 digit number will now always be the same and won’t change, even if your tier status does

• When your membership year renews you will be sent a new membership card with your 11 digit number. Please start to use your new number when it arrives. Until then, please continue to use the number on your existing membership card

• Your miles will still be credited when you quote your old 8 digit number in a booking

• There is no need to update your membership number in any existing bookings

If you use your Diamond Club card to recognise your booking at check-in please read this important information.

Your Diamond Club activities

Previously, Silver and Gold members earning a tier bonus or Gold member status bonus received a one off credit at the end of each month,
    crediting bonus miles relating to all flights taken in that month. With our new system, these bonus miles will be credited against each activity.

When you log into your account online, you’ll see a line for each flight showing the destinations miles and membership status miles credited, and
    then a separate line underneath showing the bonus miles relating to that flight. We hope you’ll agree that this is much clearer.

We look forward to seeing you onboard again soon.

Regards
    Keeley Downing
    Diamond Club Manager”

Travellator
    Participant

Its still broken. I cannot change my password and it says my wifes password is incorrect it then promts her to get a new password which it states has been e mailed – NOT !

SimonS1
    Participant

Fortunately BA are flying to Saudi Arabia again and I have no further need to deal with BMI. Based on what I know from the company I work with bmi must be losing business big time on the routes here. We all know the Diamond Club is a complete joke as is the call centre in India. A shame really because the business class product isn’t bad and the crews on the flights have always been professional.

GlobalTravellerTom
    Participant

Have just logged in, with no issues I may add, to use some FF miles to book a flight.

I cannot see any difference to the site at all in regards to redeeming points. I began to look at different destinations to see if any were available. I found return business to Moscow and that was about it.

I have more than enough points to choose any route yet the website will not let you go hardly anywhere.

Corporate-gal
    Participant

I have the same issue and criticism as GlobalTravellerTom; I see no change to the redemption bookings system, I too have some decent amount of miles to use but can only go to Cairo or Moscow! No thanks, I’d like to go a bit further afield please.

When will BMI stand-up to being a decent Star Alliance member and offer redemption bookings online to ALL routes, with visibility across the alliance, without having to call their ridiculous call centre in India?

GlobalTravellerTom
    Participant

I agree maybe this is BMI’s attempt at stopping you from using your miles.

Make the website woeful leaving you no choice but to call their Indian call centre. The one call centre staffed by people who have no grasp on the English language, and can only read from a computer screen.

Such a shame considering the effort made by the air/ground crew when flying with BMI.

Should we just be taking our custom else where?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Switch to Miles and More. My miles are posted max 48 hours after the flight, and often the next day. Even when flying SAA I have them after 2 days. BMI is also Star Alliance so you would still accrue the miles and it would be interesting to know how soon they are posted when flying BMI and using the Swiss or Lufthansa issued card.

MarcusUK
    Participant

BMI have had this tack for ages now!
    they waste our time & money by us paying them to call their Indian Call Centre, when no Star Alliance fares will be given out on some routes at all, or some Airlines.
    They dont make these changes for our benefit, they have a financial agenda, & that is to cut costs, & the FF liabilities.
    Trying to find ANY SA carrier via them down to Australia, is impossible.
    ALSO, They NEVER will book you AC, or SQ, or NZ Or South African.
    I tried every day for 2 months, yes i made them go through each date.
    On one flight i checked on line with NZ there were NO seats taken in the cabin on the flight date i wanted, & A.NZ Confirmed that SA code seats were available. BMI decide NOT to release or purchase these as they are costly routes, decent proper full service (Not semi-low-cost), SA carriers will make the bookings for you.

Sorry BMI, but you know what yr agenda is, & Myself & others have easily proven you are blatent liars when it comes to redeeming flights on SA carriers.
    As you are low cost now, your membership should be cancelled from the SA Network, as you simply are outdated & dont meet the standards of the most basic of all the other airlines.
    Stick with Low Cost, its what you appear to offer in low outcomes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls