Security Lapse

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Please don’t apologise bacrew1!

Are we talking about standing in front of a camera just before security? This is required at T1 Domestic. Or perhaps I’m getting confused and I should be the one to apologise!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

bacrew1

Biometric capture (photos) is used at T1 and T5.

You might recall it was going to be fingerprinting at T5, but public opinion forced a change.

JordanD
    Participant

Indeed, correct FDoS – I was involved in the testing programme at T5, and had my fingers ‘scanned’ a number of times … it appeared the system was successful and was ready for deployment, until certain ‘interest groups’ got all angry about it just days before opening …

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I’ve read about this problem before. Though it is not publicised apparently there is a defect in the BA system and it’s not uncommon that if you check in on line you can be issued with the same bar code that someone is issued with at the airport. It has been going on for some time and they don’t seem to be able to rectify it.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Henkel

I’ve heard that, too, but it was not the case in this instance. As far as I could follow the conversation, it was human error based on confirmation bias (and I am loathe to be too harsh on that, for reasons you will understand with your background.)

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

DoS,

Thank you for the clarity, interesting that it’s possible human error was the cause. That is worrying.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Henkel

Obviously I don’t wish to say too much on the forum, but it looked very much like a case of pre-expectation and seeing what was not there.

Not quite Paris in in the Spring, but you know where I’m coming from.

Very difficult to eliminate these type of errors, for people doing repetitive work, but worrying as you say.

Binman62
    Participant

Tried to respond to this very early on but seem to have failed.

Glad it all worked out .

What it shows is that the security regimes work well. Security is multi layered and yes when people are involved here will be issues. I suspect someone has been issued with FDOS boarding card in error or it may have been the bar code issue which has been discussed.

Pax A with FDOS boarding card passes thought conformance has picky taken or not depending on the issue. They proceed to the flight they are booked on without looking at pass but at gate passport pass do not match and is stopped.

FDOS arrives and is stopped at conformance….that is what happened ?

If this the scenario then it demonstrates that multi level security working well.. The checks, whilst painful at times, are designed to catch the errors and this is what happened.

I suspect anyone with malevolent intent would choose a less direct method.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Binman62

Your analysis is accurate (although the bar code was not issued to two separate pax, the same boarding pass was duplicated and issued to two different people), but your conclusion is not (and I draw my conclusion on overhearing a conversation between the BA duty manager and a third party.)

Whilst the system stopped me getting through, it allowed someone airside access, with unknown motivation, without producing a valid ticket and whose details could not be traced on any of the flights to the destination I was flying to.

The only reason the guy was intercepted was that he tried to board my flight (which he did not have a ticket for, apparently.)

So forgive me if I am not so confident as you.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls