Sealed duty free bags – landside to airside

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

I need double measures here as the best they have is Glenmorangie…

Can I collect my checked bag at AMS and then go back to the transfer desk without exiting….

thanks..

Ekond222
    Participant

…You’ll pick up your bags after passport control and you will then have to go to check-in (at which point I would strongly recommend that you place your duty frees in to your checked baggage just to be on the safe side).

I do remember having to dispose of alcohol at the security gates at security gate at boarding (can’t remember the exact reason – but I had an non-sealed bag).

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Excellent, but as noted in my opening, my bag is currently stuffed full…

canucklad
    Participant

You’re making m,e jealous Martyn : )

If your going to chance your arm at the transfer desk, i’d highly recommend that you double check your bag has actually been found and re-tagged and is on your last leg flight when you present your boarding pass.

have a good flight and let us know what happened.

Ekond222
    Participant

CL – that’s exactly what I used to do – I would check at the lounge that my bags had been loaded and again at the desk at the boarding gate….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

oh boy… I’m done… got to find my way to gate 18.. Wish there was a sensible poster like Ian or Cx to show me the way…

I will work AMS out somehow, someway…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Now in London. Got the magic ping at the gate in HKG… got a front facing seat, “in the front” 🙂 slept like a baby…

Asked whether my checked bag has arrived also, and where it is. Lovely lady in the lounge showed me the tracking system and confirmed it was in transit to the AMS flight. 5 minutes later she confirmed it was loaded ready to go to AMS.

This is also shows it is possible for staff to check location of bags if you are worried…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Now finished the trip with the LHR-AMS-LCY sectors and with the help of DLR & Northern Line… HOME!!

I was impressed with the speed and efficiency of the security at AMS (that’s despite the long long walk and trying to fight your way against the masses of people going the other way…)

I took the liquid purchasers out, they had a cursory look at the seal and just pushed it through.

What was also interesting, I was asked whether I had any toiletries/other liquids. My rucksack was very full and I simply answered, there may be a few at the bottom of the bag but am not sure..(I realised there were more than just a few items). The guy said ok and the bag went through without any excitement from the staff..

Thanks for the help/reassurance… it all worked out fine…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Welcome home Martyn. Despite all the pleasures of travel, lie flat beds, 5 star hotels, top restaurants (or even Pizza Huts 😉 ) nothing can beat your own bed, your favourite tipple in your favorite glass and your own family watching TV and catching up with you.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Absolutely right… I had a wonderful welcome home…. the place was empty… except for the dog!! So I sat down, in my favourite chair and imagined I was still in 4F.. except I had to serve myself a drink!!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls