Sealed duty free bags – landside to airside

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

I know this is very late to ask, but does anyone know whether sealed duty free bags can be taken Airside to Landside with liquids in Europe.

I am in transit in AMS but need to go landside to check a bags in and there is no room to stuff the duty free into the checked bag. I know if I was airside and going through a transit connection (i.e. not going Airside) I would be ok… but in the circumstances described, am I able to take my sealed duty free landside to airside… and I am ex BKK/HKG… going onto London…

Many thanks

Anonymous

canucklad
    Participant

My immediate gut instinct would be to say “No”. Having transited through security with those bags it sometimes causes hassle with the operative and that’s arriving airside. Coming from a unsecured landside position I think would cause them issues.

Knowing the layout of AMS, I’ve got a cheeky alternative suggestion, why not pop into the lounge and charm the pants of the lady at the desk to look after it for you whilst you pop airside to do what you’ve got to do?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks Canucklad… but that won’t work as I have to collect a bag at AMS and re check it in…(separate ticket)….. I could try going to the lounge first I guess……. haven’t got the final boarding pass back to the UK yet…

Ekond222
    Participant

MS – I would go with CL suggestion and go to the lounge – you may even find that they will check you in from there and have your bags transferred for you – or try and check in via the transfer desk….it won’t hurt to ask….

I have done this in the past via the transfer desk.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I won’t be able to reverse back from collecting my checked bag from Asia. I have no problem going airside to check in…. if I can’t get the lounge…. still interested in the answer, whether sealed duty free bags can go landside to airside….

Really appreciate the help thus far..

Swindoneric
    Participant

I would have thought – but can’t be sure – that Schiphol would be OK if you are heading to the UK. Regardless of whether you went landside you would still presumably go through the scanner at the gate rather than at a central security point.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Maybe it’s now academic Martyn, but i agree with Swindoneric, from memory security is done at the gate so you should be fine.

travelsforfun
    Participant

Yes, for all non-Schengen destinations at AMS, screening is done at/near the gate – so I can think of no way for them to distinguish between an O/D and a transfer passenger. Going from landside to non-Schengen airside at AMS, only a passport check is done.

james5566
    Participant

Just booked a great fare in Club World from Dublin to Austin via LHR for next Feb for £1250. I quickly checked a couple of other destinations and saw that these deals include AA & US as well e.g. DUB-ORD for £1084.

Initial search made on KAYAK but booking can be made on the airlines direct.

Not sure which dates these deals cover but my journey is out in Feb, return in March.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi Martyn, from the horse’s mouth so to speak or rather the official Schiphol website

Effective 28 January 2014, new rules on carrying liquids and gels apply to transfer passengers at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol. As of 28 January 2014, transfer passengers are again permitted to carry the liquids and gels purchased at another airport or on the aircraft onto their transfer flights departing from Schiphol, provided that they have these items checked at Schiphol. These liquids must be presented at the security check at the gate in the original sealed bag. The receipt should also be inside the original sealed bag.
    Transfer passengers arriving from a Schengen country and changing flights to a Non-Schengen country can also have these liquids checked at the so called ‘Transfer Liquids Checkpoint’, which is located right after the security check between Lounge 1 and Lounge 2. They will pass this checkpoint automatically

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks all… I feel comfortable.

Technically, im not a transfer passenger… im on a separate ticket and will be checking in landside…however, if security is at the gate… then I can’t see a problem.. thank you all very much…

Now in the F lounge at HKG…. on the side…. what a difference security is here…. I was singled. out… no issue with that….. had a metal detector put around me by a FEMALE……(yeeees)…. BUT sadly on this occasion, no hands inside my trousers or a close feel of my trouser front.

I thanked who I thought was the boss man and said how nice it was to be treated like a human and not like in London….an animal… His response with a smile…. Sir, we are told this all the time… enjoy your flight…

Ekond222
    Participant

MS – Yep I used to fly in and out on two seperate tickets where at that time BA had not baggage arrangements with Air Astana – and the transfer desk would check me in and take my current baggage receipts and transfer the baggage. It’s worth asking when you arrive at schipol.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

sorry to be a pain… may be its the whisky in the F lounge… but…

If I have checked bags into AMS to collect, is it not easier just to exit than try to go back, to the transfer desk….?

Ekond222
    Participant

MS……your not a pain at all….it’s the whisky (you haven’t had enough yet)…this may have slipped your mind but you will pass by the transfer desks on the way to passport control or to the lounge (I found BA very accommodating in the lounge and Air Astana at the transfer desk) – this was a couple of years ago…but certainly doable…..good luck….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls