Scotland’s Gleneagles Hotel expected to go on sale

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• BigDog.
    Participant

Many thanks for the advice AOTG. I really enjoy “Full Scottish” breakfasts especially the flat sausage and white pudding.

Being big and enjoying a hearty meal, am cautious about Michelin starred restaurants, as similar to Ms Metliss’ view of Daniel Clifford’s Midsummer House recently , I have left feeling less than satisfied. eg A single queen scallop – beautifully presented, tasting sublime but nevertheless very stingy.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Birthday-mum-Judy-Metliss-8217-incredible/story-25944109-detail/story.html

Clearly Andrew Fairlie’s offering rates extremely highly in qualitative terms AOTG, however can you pass comment from a quantitative perspective – thanks.

As to future owner – may Donald Trump take an interest?

canucklad
    Participant

Hi AOTG
    I stay just down the road from the Dalmahoy and ironically, because I’m so close rarely if ever use the facilities. And ther reports I get back from mates are definitely mixed. And as usual its the price versus what you get versus expectations that swing the reviews into a negative.
    Having said that I’m sure the English rugby team consistently Redbook it when their up !

canucklad
    Participant

Hi AOTG
    I stay just down the road from the Dalmahoy and ironically, because I’m so close rarely if ever use the facilities. And ther reports I get back from mates are definitely mixed. And as usual its the price versus what you get versus expectations that swing the reviews into a negative.
    Having said that I’m sure the English rugby team consistently Redbook it when their up !

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

BigDog. – 03/02/2015 13:39 GMT
    Clearly Andrew Fairlie’s offering rates extremely highly in qualitative terms AOTG, however can you pass comment from a quantitative perspective – thanks.

One of my hobbies (if you can call it as such) is eating in Michelin Star gaffs, inevitably I go with their tasting menus which normally feature between 5 & 7 courses. I almost always pair with a wine flight and always leave both full, and somewhat merry. The only issue with the wine pairing can be the stingy measures, so to compensate for this when I was last in a Michelin Star gaff, we had a bottle of red and a bottle of white (between 4 of us) for ‘between courses’ consumption. It worked a treat and we were truly merry by the time the evening came to an end.

I’d suggest you try the tasting menu, the courses themselves aren’t massive but there are enough of them to make you not feel ‘short changed’, I’m not massively aerodynamic these days and I left without the need of a kebab on the way back to my room. 😉 And it is Scotland’s only 2 Michelin star restaurant.

As to future owner – may Donald Trump take an interest?

I’d much rather Trump take it over than Marriott or some-other faceless chain, I stayed at Trump’s NYC place not so long ago and found it more than acceptable, if you can see past all the gold bling.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

BigDog.
    Participant

Thanks again AOTG – will go with your advice and report back.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls