Scotland’s Gleneagles Hotel expected to go on sale

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Anonymous

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The world-famous resport hotel, currently owned by drinks’ firm Diageo, is likely to go on sale. According to a report this evening in The Scotsman, the hotel might fetch £200 million or maybe more.

Originally built as a railway hotel, it even has its own station nearby, it was sold off by British Rail in 1981 and has been owned by Diageo since 1984.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/gleneagles-hotel-set-to-go-up-for-sale-1-3676119

BigDog.
    Participant

Thanks for the heads up Alex. Am booked there for some clay shooting after Easter.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I hope it stays as a hotel and is not converted to flats. It’s on my must visit list but sadly not possible till now. Hopefully this summer.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I hope you enjoy your stays there.

If a US chain were to buy the hotel, I guess it would be renamed “The Gleneagles by xxx “

But as you say, LP, better that than be converted into flats.

I believe Gleneagles is the only remaining railway resort hotel which has a functioning station. Turnberry, Scotland’s other railway resort hotel, lost its own station in 1942.

There are many train services a day from Kings Cross to Gleneagles but they involve changes in Edinburgh and Stirling. But there is a through train leaving Kings Cross (for Inverness) at 12 noon which reaches Gleneagles station in 5 hours and 38 mins.

BigDog.
    Participant

Most interesting Alex, the train is certainly worth consideration, however I guess shotguns would have to be registered for the luggage carriage, if allowed at all, which I would not be happy about. Gleneagles apparently has a huge selection so it maybe an opportunity to try something new.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi BigDog

I stayed at Gleneagles last year and it was brilliant – and we did the clay pigeon shooting. I know little about guns – but they didn’t seem to be lacking in number.

And yes – got the direct service back – 10:19 I think it was. Very good service. £48 for 1st Class back to Kings Cross for a single. So yes – a good way to travel. I was also there for Ryder Cup Singles day – but didn’t stay over then!

Stamford777
    Participant

It’s a great spot though I have mixed memories of it. On the positive side I won the malt whisky nosing competition but after that I had my one and only brush with aromatherapy in the spa. A very intense lady from Glasgow spent what seemed like hours rubbing essence of geranium into my back without any obvious beneficial effect. Could I get that stuff out afterwards ?? No. I spent the rest of the stay wandering round the hotel smelling like the Chelsea Flower Show and getting some very odd looks.

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

Well done with the whisky nosing but sorry to hear there was no happy ending…..

…….to your day! 🙂

GreggyR
    Participant

I had the pleasure of a weekend’s golf there last Summer for a mate’s 50th birthday. We took the noon train from Kings Cross, which was a great way to get there. I’m flying from LCY-EDI this week, then driving to Gleneagles, and it’ll be interesting to see what the difference in total travel time for both forms of transport is.

canucklad
    Participant

@ GreggyR
    From house to hotel, I’m going to predict a saving of between 2 & 3 hours Only if you take the M90 and turn left at Perth, and of course I’m assuming you’re not a Sunday driver.

If you could bet at bookies on who would buy the hotel, I’d tip Marriott They already have the Dalmahoy, which they successfully manage as golf and country club resort.

HighlandTraveller
    Participant

One thing that generally strikes me about Gleneagles compared with other 5 star hotels in Scotland, is the level of investment it has seen, and also the customer service. It is in my view, significantly better than the Cally, The Sheraton, Old Course or the Fairmont St Andrews (although the last of these is under-rated and can represent excellent value). In short, therefore, I do worry that if Starwood, Hilton or Marriot decided to have a go, standards would slip. Of course G8 and Ryder Cup have helped but Diageo are to be commended for their consistent level of investment. I also appreciate that I am made welcome whether travelling with business or a young family- the staff are excellent with children.

GreggyR
    Participant

Hi Canucklad
    That’s pretty much what I think too, and I’ll certainly be a Thursday driver, not a Sunday one !!

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Hi BigDog

If you’re at Gleneagles I can heartily recommend Scotland’s only 2 Michelin Star restaurant with chef Andrew Fairlie. We had a truly sublime night in there in November followed by a great nights sleep and hearty breakfast, probably our finest hotel and for sure, our best restaurant.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

canucklad – 03/02/2015 08:28 GMT
    I’d tip Marriott They already have the Dalmahoy, which they successfully manage as golf and country club resort.

Had a truly hateful experience at Dalmahoy whilst attending a good friends birthday celebration. Rude/poorly trained and surly staff, chargeable wifi (and no 3G) crap breakfast and overpriced everything.

I hope against hope Marriott don’t take over Gleneagles, would go from being the best Scotland has to offer to merely another money-making machine for the Marriott board.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls