Royal Jordanian flight experience – like stepping back in time

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• onajetplane
    Participant

Just flew RJ Dubai – Amman on their 787 dreamliner (in economy). Did try to originally book/and thereafter booking economy tried to upgrade to business – but the flight was full, and can confirm that when boarding completed, the flight looked to be 98-99% full. I guess the reality of trying to book tickets lastminute in the run up to Eid, as its a busy time to travel certain routes.

Positives:

Flight departed, and landed on time. Boarding and disembarking was efficient.

Negatives:

Where do I start!?

-Despite having pre-requested vegetarian, I was told that it wasn’t loaded and they would see what they could do. They returned with a very obscure ceramic side plate (as opposed to the pre-loaded economy tray without the main meat/chicken dish) with a whole banana and apple on it, and a knife and spoon. I politely declined.

-No alcohol offered or available (I did ask). Not my memory of RJ?

-I was seated first row of economy so I had ring-side view of some of the crew seats for take off. The seeming head of cabin (female) spent the entire taxi for take-off berating one of only two non-Arab crew members (both female, and of Asian descent). At one point she slapped her on the wrist. I was almost tempted to start filming but then didn’t want to become that passenger. I only mention the origin/gender of crew members because I then observed said head of cabin member continue to seemingly berate and discipline only these two crew members throughout the flight, but also she would go up the front galley and make hand gestures to her male crew members indicating “crazy”/’head exploding’ type scenarios and then laughing. I genuinely felt like I witnessed unnecessary bullying of crew (by crew) on that flight and if they had been wearing visible name badges (they weren’t) I would have taken mental note of her name and written to RJ thereafter – as I disembarked feeling slightly uneasy about the whole thing.

-As soon as the meal service was done, the fasten seat belt signs came on, an announcement was made that there was turbulence (there wasn’t – it was a very smooth flight). And all the crew disappeared. But moreover, they locked the toilets. This was for at least 45minutes. I understand the crew also need to eat – but this is just not how you run an airline, without staggered crew meal times etc. And the locking of the toilets seemed totally unnecessary and there wasn’t even the slightest bump. I always thought it was the pilot that controlled such announcements!? Or maybe just in cahoots.

-And then its a minor point, but the headphones handed out were of such cheap, plastic quality that they actually didn’t work (the type you have to manually insert the one port into a two pronged separate piece). I thought it was just me, until others around me also asked the crew for another set. The wastage must be considerable given the proportion observed asking for a second set because the first set wouldn’t connect.

After this experience, RJ is an airline I will pro-actively avoid when I have a choice.

10 users thanked author for this post.

MartinJ
    Participant

I do get why you are deeply unhappy with your experience. I would have been as well. But where did the “stepping back in time” come from? I think flying economy used to be much more bearable in the olden days, with more room (no 10 across on the 777, and on a 787 there would have been a maximum of 8 across), better food and more cabin crew attention. The only thing that is better now than 20 years ago is IFE, with individual screens and a lot of choice. Otherwise I’d be more than happy to step back in time, at the back of the bis that is.

6 users thanked author for this post.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

I have flown this route with RJ albeit on a 319, I have always found RJ are just meh, blah, whatever mediocre phrase you want to use. The only reason I have ever chosen them is because they are part of OW, I would urge anyone unaligned to OW to choose EK on this route, they fly the 380 and are infinitely better than RJ.

2 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

onajetplane thank you to share your experiences here.

Just wondering – could the lack of booze be down to it being Ramadan right now – assuming your flight was in the last weeks?

If not that that IMO is poor for an international standard airline.

I have flown RJ quite a few times and have had positive experiences. They may not have the “bells and whistles” of ME3 airlines, or indeed their deep pockets, but am happy to support them and their nation which has not been blessed with much in the way oil and gas etc.

Having said that them being Oneworld was also a factor in my choices!

However have only flown Business with them and have always found the service to be genuine and authentic – not robotic as has been used on this forum to describe QR crew for example.

RJ used to sell Jordanian made wine on board from their duty free catalogue (which is now only available from the airport duty free shops) and apart from one flight (from CDG when the crew seemingly did not want the passengers to know there was wine on board) they were generous with their booze offering.

MartinJ – exactly. Economy 20 years ago was luxury compared to standards now!

Re turning the seat belt signs and locking the toilets is sheer lazyness and I suspect you are right about cabin crew being in cahoots with the flight desk for this. Back in the day recall Olympic doing that too.

Onajetplane if you have connecting flights on RJ from Amman will be interesting to hear how that compares to your DXB-AMM flight.

1 user thanked author for this post.

onajetplane
    Participant

@MartinJ – Perhaps “stepping back in time” was the wrong analogy but simply meant that the sheer contrast to the service offered by certain other players in the region just seemed so out-dated. The “turbulence” excuse was just ridiculous just so that the crew could seemingly eat. But also the treatment of the two certain crew members just appalled me slightly and just doesn’t fit with what I perceive as current baseline acceptable attitudes of the modern age.

I coincidentally flew EK to Dubai from Amman, (RJ was my return), and it was just total night-and-day differences.

@sparkyflier
    – Yes I did wonder was the lack of alcohol due to Ramadan (it was an evening flight outside of fasting hours), but when I asked there was no explanation given it was simply I could just have juice or water.

In summary, I haven’t had such an underwhelming (full-service) flight in a long time.

sparkyflier
    Participant

onajetplane – re treatment of these workers I am glad you raised this and hope senior people at RJ read this. It is unacceptable but sadly mistreatment of migrant workers is sadly not unusual in that wider region. And of course I doubt there is any union where the staff can make their case/raise a grievance.

Re economy drinks/catering I looked at their website and there is no promise of what drinks to expect just that passengers in Y will get a full meal – with a visual showing a glass of water.

https://www.rj.com/en/fly-rj/economy-class/economy-dining

And from what you said it seems even a soft drink such as a coke or lemonade is not offered never mind a wine, beer or G&T. Which makes me wonder if RJ have lowered their standards and are not matching international standards any more. Perhaps you could reach out to RJ customer service to query what their service level is.

Re their website it may just be that it is not that detailed and thought out.

Separately I hope you were able to see something of Amman – the amphitheatre there is spectacular and worth a “climb” ( will test your sense of vertigo).

FrDougal
    Participant

I hope you take the time to send this review to RJ directly with full flight details as it will be easy for them to identify the senior crew member involved in the alleged bullying.

Mark
    Participant

Sadly RJ will do nothing about this poor crew member and continue in this manner sadly.

Not a carrier I would choose
    Similar to Egypt air.

alainboy56
    Participant

I have been surprised by the criticisms levelled at RJ here.
    Used to use RJ around the Gulf especially when the embargo of QTR was on.
    Also used them quite a few times to LHR on their B788s and always found them acceptable.
    As people noted here ‘no bells and whistles’ like EK/QR (please don’t say ME3 as one of those has completely dropped off the radar) .. but reasonable fayre.

Their cabin crew are friendly enough, and some that I have chatted too are very proud to represent their country on RJ.

So unless their standards have really dropped off, I am surprised about these levels of criticism……………. the lack of alcohol could have been because of the holy Month, RAM out of Casa used to be similar….. it’s because the ground staff do not want to handle/load it, and maybe also the alcohol warehouse is locked/off limits for the month …… these kind of occurrences used to be prevalent in the Gulf, like in Abu Dhabi, before 10 years ago.

cwoodward
    Participant

Per their website

Economy passengers flying with Royal Jordanian can expect to enjoy a hot meal on flights over an hour long, complete with complimentary alcoholic beverages on all medium and long-haul flights.

Business class ‘Crown Dining’…….frequent fliers will inevitably see the creativity of our menu planners in the variety of seasonal items we offer, to suit all dietary needs and complete with a choice of soft & hard beverages. Choose from one of your favorites or dare try something new and exotic!

No mention of any restrictions for RAM or otherwise they are after all an international airline and OW member. (which alone would require a certain food and beverage offering to be maintained)

Perhaps you experienced just a horribly ultra lazy bad tempered crew -it happens once in a while.

onajetplane
    Participant

@cwoodward – yes perhaps I just got unlucky re. the service. But the staff treatment was another level and just unacceptable. I do have another upcoming flight with RJ so will report back – albeit it is in J class so not really a fair comparison.

@FrDougal
    – yes I have sent purely on principal. Will be intrigued to see how it is handled.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Mark – I know Egyptians who would say that RJ is way better then their home airline. The ones I know – former business contacts used to fly BA a huge amount regularly in J, but do not now due to the A320 business class product (economy seating with the middle seat free etc). They now prefer other airlines but when possible do fly RJ to North America when the schedule works and wished their network there was greater.

cwoodward – when I looked at the RJ website the other day I did not see details given re booze. Can you attach the link you found – would be interesting to see.

alainboy56
    Participant

Oh dear, it seems I touched the nerve of someone who does NOT understand real politik in Jordan.
    Go there, talk to people, feel the truth … don’t criticize me, because you think I am being inappropriate.
    Talk to taxi drivers for example, who once they understand that you are NOT ignorant to their reality (as most Europeans/non arab foreigners are), and they will give you full blast and vent their feelings.
    Scared the wits out of my wife one day when I touched on the subject with a driver, he never stopped ‘foaming at the mouth’ for a good 20 minutes or so on the way from Alia to the hotel.

so you see, ignorance is not an excuse just to label me as being inappropriate ….

cwoodward
    Participant

Sparkyflyer
    I just googled the website and added as I recall ‘2024’ – nothing fancy….
    ab56 – It happens but fortunately not so often these days -there is no accounting for some readers thin skinned silliness though.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Workspace bullying, condescending and “othering” are all no-no’s in any industry in most of the world but as others have alluded to, is commonplace in that part of the world. Expats have it bad, esp in jobs like an FA. It’s very sad but no one in the western world – the same that criticise each other, and other countries wouldn’t dare have the guts to question the system here. Even expats I know go here fully well knowing they’ll be bullied, mistreated or at the very least, made to feel like the outsider and ridiculed…but they still go because of the money the ME offers, that no one else honestly can.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls