Royal Jordanian flight experience – like stepping back in time

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• persiantraveller
    Participant

@MartinJ – There was never 8-abreast on the 787 Dreamliner except JAL and ANA, all other airlines since the start of the Dreamliner (2011/2012) have always operated 9-abreast in Y (QR, ET, LO, EY, WY, AA, UA, BA and many others).

cwoodward
    Participant

Very well put MarkivJ.

I see the same (these days to perhaps a lesser extent) in Asia where there is from country to country a great disparity in incomes and prospects.
    In Singapore and HK ( where there are over 250,000) there are hundreds of thousands of housekeepers and nannies (‘helpers’) employed they come from the poorer countries of Asia for – the money and many are treated appallingly. There can earn though 4 to 7 times more than in there own countries. The decimation and physical abuse metered out by the some local Chinese employers is ugly to witness but fortunately the authorities are increasing clamping down and finally sending the worst offenders to prison. I don’t want to overstate this as most treat their help decently a significant minority to a greater or lesser extent do not

Cathay now increasing again employs many particularly cabin crew from the poorer areas of Asia notably Philippines and Malesia but I am pleased to say that their conditions and opportunities are as the same as the local crew. They are naturally very good at the job and are an asset much welcomed by passengers.

1 user thanked author for this post.

persiantraveller
    Participant

Wow, seems like a horrible experience! The alcohol might be due to Ramadan. Never flown RJ, but I can tell you, having lived in the region and knowing it really well, that unfortunately, workplace bullying is not uncommon, especially from locals or white expats (yes, Western expats don’t get discriminated as much) towards non-westerners (Asians, Africans, Subcontinentals, etc…) and yes, you might consider it horrible (as you should), but it simply is how it is. They just go to these countries to have more earning opportunity and money than “back home”. The crew, based on your report, was utterly lazy and that is unacceptable, but also an integral part of the “service” (or lack thereof) of these minor ME carriers.

@alainboy56
    – Etihad is still relevant… and what you said about the Jordanian people just sounds racist, but whatever.

cheshirecat
    Participant

Flew yesterday DXB/AMM/MAN; both A320 in Y

DXB/AMM basic hot breakfast (cheese pastry juice water and a cookie)
    no hot drinks due turbulence; got one on request but no other service in 3 hour flight; pleasant crew very old seats; free headsets and one pillow per row and blankets on requests; IFE off a free app ; no Wifi

AMM/MAN

2 crew serving a full Y cabin; 150 +/-
    Bar service; nuts offered and what you wanted; Jordanian red/white wine from full bottles; spirits again free pour; beers

they then did meals followed by drinks again; meal choice chicken or beef (no veg option surprisingly ) starter/dessert/cheese and roll

cleared in and trolley service tea/coffee

all by the same 2 very pleasant crew

no complaints; IFE as first leg 5.5 hour flight; believe in process installing Wifi

1 user thanked author for this post.

Simon58
    Participant

I have flown several times this year with RJ to MAD/CDG/DXB on a mixture of A320, A319 & 788 aircraft. It was in Business Class and the service has been very good as each course (on A320 & 788) was served from the trolley – reminding me of the old days albeit on long-haul flights. Wine and spirits were offered on all flights, though wine cards not always distributed. Where there is no IFE, they hand out Ipads with films loaded on them.I use them out of Cairo and I find them better than A3, IB/I2, LO & LH/LX – not just because of the product but also the price. When it comes to earning TP’s as a OW member, RJ seem to bow to the pressure of BA. To LHR you get 80TP’s, yet on CDG/AMS/BRU/MAD it’s 140TP’s

sparkyflier
    Participant

Simon58..thank you to share your experiences with RJ. But wow LHR being only 80TPs is news to me and you are right. I just checked. This must be a recent development and is as you say.

This will not help RJ though as many choose them to get extra TPs when connecting at AMM. And will not help them compete with BA either on the LHR route. They may both be in Oneworld but on that route they compete.

Simon58
    Participant

I believe it happened not long after BA downgraded to CAI/AMM – LHR routes to Club Europe and introduced the high density A321neos. Even if you use RJ via AMM from CAI to LHR you still get 180 TP’s each way plus a better product (788) but yes it takes longer

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls