Royal Brunei to fly daily non-stop from LHR effective October 28

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• sj.b
    Participant

Folium, Qatar and the UAE also have the death penalty.

mkcol74
    Participant

@sj-b-2 What’s your source for the UAE having the death penalty?

TominScotland
    Participant

MKCol74 – the most recent execution in the UAE was 2017. The most recent execution of a woman was in 2015.

Capital punishment is a legal penalty in the United Arab Emirates. Under Emirati law, multiple crimes carry the death penalty, and executions are carried through either a firing squad, hanging, or stoning. Current law allows the death penalty for treason, espionage, murder, successfully inciting the suicide of a person “afflicted with total lack of free will or reason”, arson resulting in death, acts of indecent assault resulting in death, importing nuclear substances/wastes in the environment of the State, adultery, apostasy, blasphemy, perjury causing wrongful execution, rape, aggravated robbery, kidnapping, terrorism, sodomy, homosexuality, drug trafficking and joining the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, although death sentences are frequently commuted to life sentences. Overseas nationals and UAE nationals have both been executed for crimes.

RedBaron
    Participant

Cathay Pacific on no doubt a wider strategy is currently undercutting RBA on flights from Australia to Heathrow or Gatwick. Flights from Melbourne or Sydney are economy 550 quid return in peak time – July/Aug.

RBA social media has gone to ground. Anecdotal evidence suggests that there is a boycott of RBI. Thoughts?

K1ngston
    Participant

Couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of people RedBaron in my opinion. As a Gay Man the whole notion that they espouse is abhorrent and whilst I would never fly a dry airline I wouldn’t touch them with a very large barge pole now!

8 users thanked author for this post.

Jomtien9
    Participant

I hope the new London service dies quickly. Their interpretation of the Koran and Sharia law is abhorent to any clear thinking person. I will NEVER fly Brunei or visit their hate driven kingdom.

5 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

As an aging activist, boycotting is definitely a weapon I’ve used in the past , but I question what point do we trip over our own morals and simply become “Whisky Priests “

In my earlier days I boycotted …….
    French produce (Greenpeace morals)
    South African everything (Human Rights)
    US stuff ( Peace / CND) also tinged by my maple leaf world view
    Quebec (West Coast bigotry)

I’m still passionate about my beliefs, yet my actions are now tempered by balanced pragmatism.

And can discriminating against the citizen of a country be justified because we see them as an extension of state and government policy ?

Is Brunei any worse than Uganda or the UAE or Saudi Arabia ?
    Is Russia any worse or better than the US, especially when you take into account certain State laws?

I loathe hypocrisy , and as a result not only have I come to loathe our loathsome parliamentarians I also find myself self-loathing when I choose to don my collar, and drink the amber nectar to conveniently make my life better?

1 user thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

[quote quote=930825]As an aging activist, boycotting is definitely a weapon I’ve used in the past , but I question what point do we trip over our own morals and simply become “Whisky Priests “

In my earlier days I boycotted …….

French produce (Greenpeace morals)

South African everything (Human Rights)

US stuff ( Peace / CND) also tinged by my maple leaf world view

Quebec (West Coast bigotry)

I’m still passionate about my beliefs, yet my actions are now tempered by balanced pragmatism.

And can discriminating against the citizen of a country be justified because we see them as an extension of state and government policy ?

Is Brunei any worse than Uganda or the UAE or Saudi Arabia ?

Is Russia any worse or better than the US, especially when you take into account certain State laws?

I loathe hypocrisy , and as a result not only have I come to loathe our loathsome parliamentarians I also find myself self-loathing when I choose to don my collar, and drink the amber nectar to conveniently make my life better?[/quote]

I absolutely agree with you canucklad, and I will be the first to admit all types of bigotry offend me, and your analogy of places such as Uganda with their poisonous views of Homosexuality really dont differ from those of Brunei except that the latters views come from some misguided religious opinion where Uganda is just pure homophobia unfortunately left from the commonwealth views left in places such as Jamaica and other Caribbean countries…

capetonianm
    Participant

I boycott, not in any particular order :

DXB and EK (slavery, corruption, hypocrisy, and vulgarity, although the last is a matter of taste, or lack of.)

All ME airlines and FR for different reasons.

Where possible, and I know it rarely is, I try to avoid the following :

Chinese products due to their human rights record and their vicious and rapacious exploitation of Africa.
    Israeli products due to their treatment of their neighbours and the Arab communities within Israel.
    French products due to the supreme arrogance of the French in thinking that everything that they produce is the world’s best.

Somewhat ironically, it amuses me that those who used to boycott South African products during the Apartheid years don’t seem to realise that the average black South African is likely to be worse off than before the ANC came to power.

Back to topic, I would, if the need arose, boycott Royal Brunei and the country in the light of the recent policy announcement,

capetonianm
    Participant

Good for them, this gave me a big smile:

https://amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jun/17/top-gear-sprays-lgbt-pride-flag-on-cars-used-in-brunei-filming

Support for LGBT rights has come from a surprising quarter after Top Gear sprayed two cars used in filming in Brunei in rainbow colours in opposition to the country’s threat to make homosexuality punishable by stoning to death.

Thought to be the first time the BBC Two motoring programme has shown solidarity with the LGBT community. …..

RedBaron
    Participant

Putting out a presser on Christmas Eve to bury the campaign launch.

“The campaign highlights that in addition to one of the most modern fleets in the world, what really sets Royal Brunei apart, is the warm Bruneian hospitality experienced by our guests throughout their journey.”

Press release unfathomably seems to have forgotten the stoning of same sex couples as part of that ‘warm Bruneian hospitality’…

Royal Brunei Airlines launches first Australian campaign in five years

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls