Returning to UK

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1095351]do i have to do 10 days home isolation and is that solid isolation, no going out for essentials…like food!
    do I have to pre book covid tests? (there is a walk in one, no appt needed in my town 10 mins walk from me)
    I have a vaccine shot due 2 days after arrival, do i need to change that until 10 days after?[/quote]

Yes to all assuming you are not transiting in a red list country.

You could test to release on day 5 (arrival day is zero) in which case rearrange vaccination for after that.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Just to add to the confusion, I am eligible for a limited exemption as a member of an international organization with diplomatic status. But the only real benefits are that I do not have to take the tests on days 2 and 8, and I do not have to complete the passenger locator form. However I do have to fill in a pre-authorisation request to the FCDO, on which I need to include the place I will be self-isolating so it is still effectively a locator form. You are also still strongly encouraged to take the 2 tests as well though, even if it is not mandatory.

So it would seem a little less onerous for me but still unclear in some areas and a potential risk if people do not comply with the self-isolation requirement. I’ll be inclined to complete the passenger locator form anyway, as it may get tricky on arrival with the UK border staff.

BugAdvisor
    Participant

I’m currently in the Czech Republic, where, like the rest of the EU, the vaccination rollout is taking forever. I have an invitation to have a vaccine shot in the UK, but don’t want to waste a week there before I can have the shot.

I believe it’s possible to fly in to the UK and then out without waiting for quarantine to end. The guidelines also say that one can leave isolation to attend a medical appointment.

I wonder if I’m allowed to attend the vaccination clinic before my isolation period is up. So fly in, have a jab, stay one or two nights in case there is some reaction to the jab, fly out.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1095411]I wonder if I’m allowed to attend the vaccination clinic before my isolation period is up. So fly in, have a jab, stay one or two nights in case there is some reaction to the jab, fly out.[/quote]

Personally I don’t see how that would classify as a “basic urgent necessity”. Also logically the purpose of quarantine is to ensure there is no transmission of Covid and I’m not sure mixing with others at a vaccination centre is really in the spirit of what is intended.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1095495]Also logically the purpose of quarantine is to ensure there is no transmission of Covid and I’m not sure mixing with others at a vaccination centre is really in the spirit of what is intended.[/quote]

Agreed, BUT the “spirit of what is intended” has been missing in the UK for the past year.

1. You need to self isolate / quarantine on arrival into the UK, but it was ok to take public transport from your arrival airport and go for essential food shopping (updated more recently)

2. You are welcome to arrive into the UK, but you may need to wait in an unvented area, in close proximity to other passengers for up to 7 hours, whilst we undertake our covid 19 paper checks

Still though very proud of the UK vaccine roll out, despite the actions of those in Brussels heading the EU….

3 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

I was trying to answer BugAdvisor’s question Martyn. The time for assessment will come later (including bitterness and recrimination, if it rocks your boat).

If I was in an airport or on public transport I might have an expectation of mixing with other people in a less controlled manner (if it troubled me that much then I wouldn’t travel).

However if I was attending a vaccination centre where the focus is/has been given on higher risk groups I might be less understanding of someone who felt it OK to pop out from their isolation for a jab.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls