Returning to UK

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• Bullfrog
    Participant

I’m returning to the UK next week, entering England with a negative covid test. During quarantine, I will need to do a covid test after 2, and then 8 days, with a 5 day test appearing to allow ‘early release’.

I’d appreciate hearing of the experiences of forum readers in getting these tests done.

Thank you

Lamb
    Participant

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-test-to-release-for-international-travel
    This link will give you all the info you need on the test and release – you will be supplied with the tests required for the duration of quarentine.

1 user thanked author for this post.

anyonebutba
    Participant

Actually the 5 day release is apparently not a way to get out of 10 day stay at home. that said I am returning from Colombia in a few days, then 10 days at my Spanish home to avoid the ghastly hotel in England, fortunately after which I fly to Belfast for another stay, then onto the UK, so no extra tests required other than one negative on arrival for Belfast , apparently many people are using the NI route to get out of the money making £210 for the day 2 and 8 tests….typical tories , always about money with that shower!!!

Bullfrog
    Participant

@EL.Lamb Thank you for the link.

There are so many covid test providers from which to choose, and no doubt, some offering better services than others.

I can’t fully grasp whether the ‘5 day test & release’ allows for the 10 day quarantine period to be reduced to 5 days. One would think that it would, although I do not find it clear.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1095031]I can’t fully grasp whether the ‘5 day test & release’ allows for the 10 day quarantine period to be reduced to 5 days. One would think that it would, although I do not find it clear.[/quote]

You can take a test no earlier than the 5th day after arrival in England. You must continue to quarantine while you await your test result.

If the test result is negative you can stop quarantine as soon as you receive the result.

You still need to take the coronavirus test on or after day 8.”

Seems clear to me.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-test-to-release-for-international-travel

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1095019]Actually the 5 day release is apparently not a way to get out of 10 day stay at home.[/quote]

It is if you are travelling from a non red list country. You can take a test on 5th day after arrival, get result on 6th day, and therefore no need to quarantine from days 7 to 10.

paperwind
    Participant

Hi

May I ask how the regulations applies to N.I when you arrive from continental Europe ?
    If you fly to the Republic of Ireland and need to go to the N.I ? any advice
    Am I correct to think that you need only the PCR test before arrival.
    How long do you need to wait to travel to England and Scotland? Do you need a quarantine?

nevereconomy
    Participant

With everyone using all the back doors whenever they can, coming from God knows where, I predict another lockdown all too soon. You only will have your selfish selves to blame. And I will be very pissed if you stop me from travelling because of it.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Nevereconomy, agreed, but the reason there are so many “back-door” options is merely a consequence of the continuing pathetic incompetence of Boris and side-kick Patel…their only efforts to monitor entry to the UK have left so few staff at airports that legitimate passengers can only swan around for hours catching covid from each other before they exit the airport and the casual UK efforts at preventing covid spread even start…

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1095077]

I don’t really follow about the backdoor model.

If people stay in a green list country for 10 days and then self isolate at home for another 10 days on arrival there seems to be little risk.

And for people coming from a red list country directly or indirectly, well there is 10 days in somewhere like the Holiday Inn Express which from the posts on Facebook groups sounds a total dump. No wonder the number of arrivals from red list countries is +/- 100 a day on average. Doesn’t sound huge numbers…..

Perhaps that is why infections and the R number are actually going down not up?

miningguy
    Participant

I’ve just completed by Day 8 test today. I’ve managed it but what a complete faff. Instead of everything being on a single piece of paper/booking, I’ve got multiple conflicting emails and on both my Day Two and Day Eight test, my test kit registration failed which meant I had to call up to go through a manual registration. Additionally the entry at LHR was miserable (I’ve already ranted about that on another thread).

So in summary, my experience has been frustrating. I remain enraged/embarressed that despite the billions thrown at track & trace, a simple covid test and entry into the UK can’t be smoother. Making everyone queue for hours is neither efficient or good for the public health.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Bullfrog
    Participant

[postquote quote=1095207]

I have spent the best part of the last two hours trawling the government website.

Firstly to locate a 2 and 8 day testing centre. Some are by post, others allow you to travel to their centre, even though one is meant to be in quarantine. What sort of quarantine is that ?

Some of the providers of the ‘2 and 8 day’ testing kits are ‘sold out’ of testing kits.

Now to the ‘5 day test to release’. There are a lot more providers. Trying to book on one website, my answers just weren’t acceptable. Asking me if I had a vaccination, I entered ‘no’ but then I could not get past the next line, as the system was asking for the date of my vaccination.

I managed to get an appointment for the ‘5 day test & release’ at a very helpful pharmacy in St John’s Wood.

I can’t really say I am surprised. Thankfully the UK has been great in rolling out the vaccine, but other than that, totally disappointed.

traveldoc
    Participant

[postquote quote=1095053]

Arriving in Northern Ireland from Republic you have to complete a UK Passenger Locator Form, giving your NI address, and then self isolate for 10 days (I finish mine today!). Public Health Agency can check up on you – the police arrived on Day 3 as they were told PHA had not been able to contact me, despite the fact that numerous other people could. No requirement for COVID test – but equally no early release if you have a negative test.

Stevescoots
    Participant

i could spend hours trawling through the Gov website..or ask the experts here!

I arrive back in UK from Vietnam on the 4th April, Via a transit in singapore.
    I know i need to get a covid test in Vn before i leave and do a UK online health declaration

do i have to do 10 days home isolation and is that solid isolation, no going out for essentials…like food!
    do I have to pre book covid tests? (there is a walk in one, no appt needed in my town 10 mins walk from me)
    I have a vaccine shot due 2 days after arrival, do i need to change that until 10 days after?

Stevescoots
    Participant

Ok, i think i have worked it out.

Covid test before leaving VN (mandatory)
    online declaration before leaving VN (mandatory)
    book and pay for 2 tests in UK (day 2 and day 8) before flying (mandatory)
    book and pay for 5th day test early release (optional)
    print it all out to have to hand on arrival.

good job all these tests are tax deducatable!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls