Repairing broken luggage

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I have a couple of those, and they are excellent – a very good warranty as well. In fact, the K2 people recommended above said “Briggs and Riley do not require any warranty document.” when sending the bag for repair.

Both of them have that unusual ‘expandable version where you can expand it, pack lots in, and then they squash back down when you put some pressure on the outside of the case.

That, and the fact that they have flat bottoms on the inside are both interesting innovations.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

As an update, I used fixmybag which is K2 Global.

I paid £13.40 to have my bag collected and delivered to, I think, Maidenhead where its repair service is located.

The company was good about communication – telling me the bag had been received and was being assessed, but the end result is it was sent back as being unrepairable because there are ‘no parts available’.

I can’t criticise K2 for this, but it does highlight how far we are from being able to repair luggage or move from being a linear economy to a circular one.

This is a bag which, to replace, will cost £200+. The only thing wrong with it is a stuck handle (stuck in the body of the bag).

I can’t extract the handle, and seemingly, even if a repair service can, they aren’t able to source a replacement handle.

The result is that a bag I have used happily for a few years and would have continued to use is now going to the local recycling tip where in all likelihood it will be sent to be incinerated.

Each bag manufacturer is different, and I know that some have very good warranties, but of course that doesn’t mean it necessarily gets repaired.

As an example, when I had a Tumi ballistic nylon laptop bag whose zip fell apart, the shop said it would be impossible to repair, and instead offered a replacement (in the end, I paid the difference and bought a leather replacement, which I still have – but I rather suspect that original laptop bag would have gone off to landfill or an incinerator.

I wonder if there is a bag brand that endeavours to repair your luggage and has all the parts necessary to do so… Probably they would prefer to use the warranty to just provide a replacement bag rather than spend time and money repairing them.

DannyBoy
    Participant

Tom, I believe Samsonite offers repair services. They have a list of authorized centers across the world.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls