Repairing broken luggage

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on how to have luggage repaired.

I know that some brands have warranties, ranging from a couple of years to, in some cases (ha ha) 10 years, but for various reasons sometimes I haven’t got the proof of purchase or the warranty has expired, but I’d like to get the bag repaired.

I know of this one

http://www.fixmybag.com

But any other recommendations gratefully received…

It also seems high time that companies offered some form of recycling for bags / luggage. It is a shame to take them to landfill or for incineration, just because of a broken zip or handle.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Tom, it really depends what kind of repair service you are looking for – simple reattachment of handle or new wheels or stitching, some shoe repairers can easily undertake. I tried the company you named to smarten up an old briefcase I found – it was cheaper to buy a new one…

One other tip – check You Tube – a lot of firms are now advertising through You Tube channels. I am almost embarrassed to admit, I watched a fascinating chap from Tring, who has quite a following, posting videos of…. shoe repairs… in fact, he may be able to help

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Thank you
    I thought I might try the local clothes repairer for the zip, though I don’t think they could manage the handle, which currently is stuck in the bag and refusing to come back out again (I think it was bent in the hold because the bag wasn’t fully packed.
    Tring isn’t too far away – I will watch tonight.
    Tom

Inquisitive
    Participant

Samsonite has a luggage repair service through some agents at most important cities.
    And those folks repair other model also – they happily repair the handle of one of my luggage that is from a competing brand.

1 user thanked author for this post.

first_class_please
    Participant

I beleive most airlines in the UK use K2 for luggage repairs, so try and contact them directly.

https://www.k2global.co.uk/index.asp

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Thank you,

I did that, and received an email back saying

“If you are a consumer and would like to arrange the collection of an item for assessment or repair,
    please visit https://www.fixmybag.com, our repair portal where you’ll be able to get an instant estimate and book a collection at your convenience.”

RoyJones
    Participant

I can recommend K2 – I have used them 4 or 5 times, both as K2 or in their previous trading name and they are both efficient and have done the job well. I am in range of their repair shop so have taken my case in myself.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I’m glad you’re trying to find a repair rather than consigning good luggage to landfill – good for you, Tom!

I had some old but (up until this point) serviceable trainers, but suddenly the sole came off one, and I realised the soles on the other (and, in fact, on my spare pair) were starting to come loose. The first couple of cobblers I went to said they couldn’t help but with perseverance I found one who glued *and stitched* the soles back on. The stitching was key – trainers are so flexible that glue alone won’t work for a repair. Brilliant – and helped the planet a bit (and my wallet).

Sadly, society has become too inclined to disposal and replacement. A while ago I served at a recycling event in HK for clothing. We had a presentation at the start explaining how much water goes into making one pair of jeans (it’s a frightening amount – something like 1,200 litres?), the huge amount of resources that are wasted in making fashion items, etc etc. Truly alarming.

Fortunately it is very easy to recycle in HK. We had some furniture at my old house that we didn’t need any more as we were downsizing. We put it on the street, and within half an hour someone had taken it! In our current apartment block, there is a large shelf in the lobby, and regularly people put old books, DVDs etc. on to it so that others can help themselves. They are always gone within a day or two. Gotta love that.

Plus the helper network. Anything we don’t think will get taken if we put it on the shelf we give to our helper, who takes it to her church. So long as it is serviceable or repairable, someone will take it and use it.

And on that note – donate your old airline amenity kits! It isn’t just the contents – for a poor kid, an old amenity kit bag makes a serviceable pencil case. Use your imagination, connect with local schools, churches, welfare organisations, etc before you throw anything away.

2 users thanked author for this post.

EasternPedlar
    Participant

For those of you travelling to India, luggage repair is inexpensive and quick. It’s amazing what all can be repaired or replaced. I haven’t thrown a bag away in decades!

Casey_99
    Participant

Well, whatever you do, don’t repair a broken handle on your wheely bag with electrical wire and insulation tape when in Israel and then expect an easy passage thru security at Tel Aviv!
    A very innocent colleague repaired his bag on a business trip there and learned that electrical wire hidden under electrical insulation tape is an immediate and very serious red alarm to airport security.
    He had a difficult hour but all smiles in the end.

1 user thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

I have always used Tumi luggage I pay a little more but the quality and robustness of their product suits my needs. I once had an issue with a trunk I had bought about 3-4 years earlier I went to the Tumi store in Grand Central Station in NYC and she looked and replaced like for like with a brand new suitcase, which of course made me buy something else!

The point being Tumi will replace like for like with receipt now and offer superb repair service in anyone of their stores

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I like Tumi as well, but the robustness also means it can be quite heavy (well, the leather luggage and the ballistic nylon). The after care is excellent, though.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I have a 5 year old Samsonite hard shell suitcase with 4 wheels. Somehow one of the wheels got torn off on a Lufthansa flight and I reported it to the lost and damaged claim at Malpensa airport.

A short while later LH contacted me by phone and then paid me the equivalent of a brand new case. I offered the case back to them but they did not want it, so I took it to the Samsonite outlet near me and they had it repaired for only EUR 20, which was the cost of transporting the case to be repaired.

2 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1206624]

My preferred travel brand was Briggs and Riley. Their suiters and roller bags travelled round the world with me for many years and they still look brand new.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls