Quarantine

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• nmtraveller
    Participant

Out of curiosity, does anyone knows if you’re allowed to leave the country if you’re quarantining after returning from a risky country?

Inquisitive
    Participant

It will be good to see the definition of quarantine.
    In most applicable countries, one – if quarantined – is not even allowed to go outside own home.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Even Simon Calder on Sky News was switching this morning between travellers arriving from France after 4am tomorrow having to self isolate and/or quarantine. Really do not see the point when the UK can not and will not enforce the rules….

Meanwhile in Vietnam, my colleague and his wife who arrived last Friday morning, still have another 8 nights (Saturday being considered day 1) of strict quarantine, being stuck inside their hotel. They are not complaining, just pleased to be back in their home country…

One extreme to another…….

1 user thanked author for this post.

nmtraveller
    Participant

I spent some time exploring the UK foreign office website but didn’t get any clear answer. Technically they say you shouldn’t leave home for any reasons other than a few specific cases. But I wonder how they could prevent you from leaving the country, especially if you’re not a UK national?

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1006656][/postquote]

The position is clear.

If you are staying in UK for >14 days then you need to isolate for 14 days (assuming a non-exempt country)
    If you are staying in UK for <14 days then you need to isolate for your stay

In other words if you arrive in UK for 5 days and then leave that is OK provided you isolate for the 5 days here (it then becomes an issue for the next country, they will generally ask you for a list of where you have been in last 2 weeks, or maybe they will have no requirements at all).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk

nmtraveller
    Participant

Thanks that’s helpful.

But when returning in the uk from a low risk country (so high risk country > uk > low risk country > uk), do you finish the quarantine where you started (i.e. until 14 days after you arrived from the high risk country) or start a new one?

It might sound like I’m splitting hairs but between holidays and work trips i can see that scenario happening frequently

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1006659][/postquote]

When you move to low risk country they may have no regulations, or they may ask where you have been in last 14 days and expect you to quarantine.

When you return to UK second time they ask you on the form where you have been. Assuming the low risk country has no quarantine you would need to complete the balance of 14 days ie since you left the high risk country.

Just going in and out of UK does not remove the original 14 days requirement…..bit like flying from Dubai to Ireland and doing a transit to UK does not remove the need to isolate.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=1006652][/postquote]

We were quarantined on return from South Korea in early June. Only allowed to leave home for food, medicines (assuming there was no-one to get them for us), or to see a doctor. So no, other trips e.g. to an airport not allowed.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1006665][/postquote]

But the regulations are quite clear, if you intend to leave the UK within the 14 days you may do so. There is no requirement to remain for 14 days, and clearly if you were leaving it would be hard to do that without going to the airport….

“If you’re travelling to the UK for less than 14 days, you will be expected to self-isolate for the length of your stay.”

2 users thanked author for this post.

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

If you are travelling from a ‘safe’ country, with a connecting flight in an airport within a country deemed ‘unsafe’ (AMS) – do you need to quarantine on return?

Alsacienne
    Participant

My son travelled NBO-AMS-GVA on 3 August. Although he was in possession of his COVID-19 negative certificate, he was not stopped at any point of his journey and found AMS a very pleasant and easy transfer.

SimonS1
    Participant

Yes.

If your journey involves a transit stop in a country not on the list, you will need to self-isolate when you arrive in England if:

1. new passengers get on
    2. you or other passengers get off the transport you are on and mix with other people, then get on again

Alsacienne
    Participant

It has come to my notice that if one flies to the UK from my local airport (BSL/EAP) which is a shared airport and which currently serves London Heathrow (BA), London Gatwick and Edinburgh (EZY and DS) that one will be required to quarantine for the prescribed 14 days in the UK on arrival because the airport is on French soil.

Could anyone confirm or deny this please? Many thanks. Stay well, stay safe and stay cool.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1006684][/postquote]

Yes, as per your other thread on it. That is FCO guidance.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

the rules on transit are just as confusing, travelling from NZ (alright not so safe now) would mean only quarantine free stops in Australia (Perth route) or HKG & Qantas ain’t flying internationally until March

booked on Qatar in December, hoping the rules are relaxed by then (don’t expect they will be)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls