QF A380 engine explosion ex SIN

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 93 total)

• Travel-guru
    Participant

Two planes, one airport..could it be a fuel issue rather than engine design/component failure?

BABenji
    Participant

you’d have to think a fuel issue would have manifested itself in other planes as well. hundreds of flights would have taken off and landed at Changi in the time since the A380 had its mishap and the only publically reported one is another Qantas plane.

this is most perplexing. i sit here reading all the different views from other posters, but the point that keeps going around in my head is that there has to be something amiss at Qantas…or are they just desperately unlucky/lucky…depending on your perspective.

i fly somewhere in the region of 20 – 25 sectors a year with Qantas internationally and domestically and have never had an issue, but it is enough to make one wonder….

pomerol
    Participant

There are now reports, that a Qantas 747-400 has taken off from Changi, and returned with engine trouble.

It never rains

pomerol
    Participant

Qantas have now said, that think the problem with the A380 engine, is that it most likely lost its engine rotor disc, they have also stated that they are replacing one engine each on a further 2 aircraft in the A380 fleet.

http://www.flightglobal.com

monstertravels
    Participant

So just a query….
    I am due to fly on QF A380 in a few weeks. If Qantas does not get these planes up in the air again and thus have to use the smaller planes then where do the other 200 or so passengers sit?
    I am for safety so do not mind but it was just a thought
    thanks 🙂

Flyboy18
    Participant

littlemonster….have just returned from SIN and BA are now operating the QF31/2 on behalf of Qantas…its on a 3 class 777…spoke to the dispatcher today and he told us, the crew, that we are gonna be doing this flight for QF till the A380 is back in the air…..guessing the passengers that dont fit on will be flow on other BA/QF flights. hope thats helps.

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

Latest update – QF is inspecting each engine on all of its A380s, with support from Rolls Royce. Fairly lengthy operation, as it is taking about eight hours per engine.

Apart from the engine that exploded, the engineers have found three other engines with ‘anomalies’ – basically with oil leaking into other parts of the engine where oil should not be present. The suspect engines will be replaced with spares, although QF has noted that there is not exactly a glut of available Trent 900 engines on the market, given that it is so new.

No date for the return to service of the A380 fleet, though QF is saying it should be “days, not weeks”.

Potakas
    Participant

The Trend 900’s that Qantas has, are exactly the same with those lufthansa and Singapore have? Should they expect to see any anomalies in their engines too?

Binman62
    Participant

P.Sepsas. You raise a very valid point and I think answers are now required to reassure the travelling public. Qantas chose to ground the fleet which I thought a gross over reaction to an incident. They did so without the apparent support of Airbus, Rolls Royce or other operators who have all remained silent on the matter. Now, Qantas tell the world there are anomalies with a number of other engines.
    The question is would this have affected the TDR (technical dispatch reliability) of the aircraft prior to the incident?
    Are these anomalies only being found on Qantas aircraft?
    Why do Lufthansa and Singapore airlines feel it is safe to operate? What is different with their Trent 900? Did they purchase extras? Are maintenance procedures different?
    If Qantas are correct, then there are serious issues at stake here and it is only reasonable that the other operators clearly state their positions whilst Airbus and Rolls Royce should clarify exactly what is wrong and why it is limited to Qantas. Perhaps BT could ask some questions and get some clarity.
    The possibility that Qantas are now into damage control and will say anything to recover from this PR disaster and placate the 1300 stranded passengers in the Los Angeles (Source BBC Radio 4 news at 8am) is too horrible to contemplate.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Always like ot hear comments from BT, but on this occassion I prefer to hear comments from Airbus and Rolls Royce. Why havent the manufacturer and engine supplier made any comment whatsover.

Age_of_Reason
    Participant

I think Pomerol’s picture linked from flightglobal.com speaks a thousand words on behalf of Airbus and Rollsroyce.

I fail to see how 1300 angry passengers, delayed but alive, could be compared with 1300 grieving families instructing a class action.

And wtf is BT in this context?

pomerol
    Participant

Age-of Reason

Well said, the one thing which is absolutely paramount in all of this is, Passenger Safety, and Nothing has priority over this

MartynSinclair
    Participant

……………….correct Pomerol and AoR – so where is the comment from RR or Airbus…………..

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 93 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls