Qatar Business Class Issue

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• kammm85
    Participant

anyone had similar experiences with Qatar not including luggage in business class?
    (was booked with American Airlines points).

FDOS
    Participant

Qatar do have a ‘Lite’ business class offer that doesn’t include lounge access, but as far as I am aware, there is both a checked and cabin baggage allowance included.

Also, seat selection is offered at online checking, not before (though I don’t know if seats can be selected in advance, for a fee).

If you google qatar airways trade portal newfarefamilies, you should be able to find details.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I’m due to travel on a business class lower fare flight with Qatar, however, I was able to get free seat selection at the time the flight was booked.
    Whether this was down to being OWE or not, I’m not sure.
    Am expecting not to have access to the business lounges at DOH, though I believe there are two other lounges pax with OW status can use.
    No issue as far as I’m aware with hold luggage.

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

You mean that you booked a award ticket on QR using AA points and luggage is not included? That must be a new thing. Even though QR has Lite fares award flights still include checked-in luggage and lounge access.

My award flights in April had luggage as usual. Last weekend i booked another award trip and i see 40kgs checked-in luggage and was able to choose my seat at time of booking.
    OK i booked with avios transferred from BA but apart from the number of miles/avios spent conditions ought to be the same.

nibbler
    Participant

I generally avoid them unless there is no alternative; but Qatar don’t list a business class product with no baggage on their website.

https://www.qatarairways.com/tradeportal/en/NewFareFamilies.html

kammm85
    Participant

it wasnt a lite fare either.. as lounge acccess, seat selection all included. it didnt state on my printed ticket luggage included (never seen that it does) anyway. so please take care and try get in writing before travelling with them. at check in gave me 2 options cancel the ticket or buy luggage allowance on spot. really not cool, once on airplane they were lovely though.

FormerBA
    Participant

I was looking at a fare recently that included the lounge but not seat selection. Seemed very odd buttee then this is Qatar. Personally I like them in the air, but they are quite dreadful on the ground and the back office

Business Classic
    $1,774
    Total for all passengers

Select fare
    Earn 10,080 Avios
    Benefits and fees per adult passenger

Flexibility to make 1 change
    Cancellation within 24hrs of booking without fees
    Refundable as voucher with 10% additional value
    Checked baggage: 40 kg
    Hand baggage: 2 pieces, 15 kg total
    Seat selection for a fee
    Lounge access included

cwoodward
    Participant

I can understand folks not taking baggage on a short business class flight but I suspect that few outside of the US travel long -haul bus class without baggage thus it looks to me rather underhand for Qatar not to be very upfront about what their business class fares include and what normally expected inclusions are part of the paid fare.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

On the face of it, it seems most odd that a business class ticket would not include luggage.

I’ve just checked my upcoming trip:
    Outbound, P class (business lite, I believe) – 40kg
    Inbound I class (business) – 40kg
    Free seat selection for both.

With P class I am limited to the silver lounge South at DOH (though I suspect as OWE the Platinum lounge may also be accessible).
    With I class there is access to Al Mourjan.

One of my flights looks to be on an ex-CX 77W.

midorosan2
    Participant

Just returned from round trip HKG LGW HKG most disappointing, aircraft outbound was on lease from CX and in poor condition same on the return flight, LGW-DOH B787 DOH-HKG B777ER, I felt cheated as the reason I switched to QR was the excellent suite configuration and the lovely A350-900. Food which was always good in the past was below usual standards breakfast was especially bad with soggy pastries which were inedible. Service was still OK but it was obvious that there has been a lot of changes in the staff and standards from the past have still to be achieved.
    Boarding at DOH was a disaster buses for business class arrived after all other pax had boarded and there was constant and total confusion I will have to reconsider using them as all the good things seem to have disappeared. Lounges in DOH are still the best anywhere so that is one constant, suggest sticking to the big long as the other Gold lounges etc are quite depressing.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Midorosan2, I had a similar experience with Qatar in June, the boarding via buses is chaotic, and the airport is a nice space, but the sheer number of flights that use buses to board is crazy for the so-called 2nd best airport in the world. From every other person I have spoken with who has taken the 817/818 rotation to/from HK, it always deplanes and boards by bus in Doha, and has for some time now been operated by a leased CX 777ER, although QR does not flag this at any stage during the booking process. You get what you pay for in some ways I suppose, QR fares are often much cheaper than for example CX, so one can’t expect everything to be quite so slick.

cwoodward
    Participant

Probably not important – however these aircraft are not in fact leased from Cathay.
    They are ex Cathay leased aircraft returned to the leasing company and re-leased by Qatar who chose not to change them internally as presumably don’t intend to keep them for long.

If my recall is correct these aircraft were not built for Cathay but they took up the lease when the intended airline backed out of the lease prior to the aircraft being fitted out and took up the no doubt attractively priced option.

My recall may be incorrect here but the aircraft were possibly originally intended for Philippine Airlines

1 user thanked author for this post.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Gosh, that is a somewhat convoluted aircraft history! Not a lot of love for these aircraft from anyone it seems, be it airlines or passengers.

stuart leFrenchy
    Participant

Having flown QR in J and J lite 3 to 4 times a year for more than a decade , I have devised ( think I am the first) a meaning for QATAR which represents their eternal critiques of their ground staff and tel reservations/back office issues.
    Q-quality
    (in)
    A- air
    T- terrible
    (in)
    A-airport
    (and)
    R-reservations

2 users thanked author for this post.

BPP
    Participant

Having flown Qatar exclusively in ‘J’ for very many years pre-pandemic, I too have noticed the obvious deterioration in standards and rampant increase in cost to the point where I now rarely even consider them.
    Years ago, upgrades J to F using q-miles were simple even at check in – not any longer. The food used to be exceptional, now quite ordinary. It’s all a great shame.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls