Qatar Airways move to T4

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

• Anonymous

DNAdams
    Participant

Referring to the news article posted on BT yesterday about Qatar Airways move from T3 to T4 in November 2010. It says that the new Qatar Airways premium lounge in T4 will be complete in 1st quarter of 2011. Which lounge will Qatar Airways be using at T4 in the mean time? Does anyone have any information about this please?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hello,

I have asked the question. Qatar Airways says that they have agreements in place with lounge providers / airlines in T4 but they will not be making these public until closer to the November date.

As soon as we find out what they are, we will, of course, publish them.

Many thanks

Tom Otley

whatseconomy
    Participant

We are long term fans of QR and tend to use them for vacation via DOH 4 or 5 times per year. We are sad that the F class product will dissapear from the london route if the B777 is introduced but having experienced it from DOH to BKK, we find it perfectly acceptable.

DNAdams
    Participant

Is there any more news on this subject? As Qatar Airlines are moving to T4 before their new lounge is ready I was wondering if anyone knows what lounge they will be using in the meantime.

Hi Qatarfan – we’ll ask the question again today, and let you know the response.

Hi – a representative for Qatar Airways has confirmed that the move to T4 will take place on November 24, and that premium passengers will have access to the Skyteam lounge.

For more details on this lounge, visit:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/skyteam-to-open-t4-lounge

DNAdams
    Participant

Hi BusinessTraveller,

Thank you for your help with this – it is very much appreciated.

We’ve just been on the carrier’s website and it appears the move (due to take place tomorrow) has been delayed until December 8. Here is the full posting:

“Qatar Airways was due to relocate from London Heathrow Terminal 3 to Terminal 4 on 24 November 2010 however this move has now been delayed until 8 December 2010 to allow for essential developments to the baggage handling system at our new terminal which will assist us in offering our customers a hassle-free and enjoyable travel experience.

“Whilst these improvements are being made, Qatar Airways will continue to operate flights from its current location in London Heathrow Terminal 3.

“From 8 December 2010, Qatar Airways will operate inbound and outbound flights from its new location at London Heathrow Terminal 4.”

Further information can also be found at:

http://www1.qatarairways.com/uk/en/terminal-4.html?iid=GB6234339

Binman62
    Participant

Saudia also delayed. Their web site states
    As advised by the British Airport Authority (BAA), Saudi Arabian Airlines move from terminal 3 to terminal 4 at London Heathrow Airport (LHR) has been delayed until further notice. This is due to issues with the Airport infrastructure.

Further evidence, if it were ever required, of the utter incompetence and mismanagement of the BAA and the Heathrow authorities. They would not do this to a retail outlet.

JordanD
    Participant

I see – so BAA are the root of all evil?

After the errors with the T5 opening, clearly what’s happening is an attempt to sort problems before they arise by delaying the airlines’ move to T4 – and yet BAA get it in the neck again.

Can’t do right for doing wrong.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Jordan

I agree with Binman, BAA’s record over the years is very poor and at the end of the day, this move to T4 has been planned for a long time and is not a greenfield site, like T5 was.

T5 does not stack up particularly well against modern competing terminals (forgetting the up/down nature of the building, which I will accept is a site constraint), the signage is confusing and some details,like the handling of transfer pax, are poorly planned and executed.

T5 is very good by comparison to T1 and T2 and is more attractive than T4 (although I find T4 is easier to use at the moment), but against other modern terminals, it is no better than average.

MorleyJS
    Participant

I have to say I prefer the use of the Virgin Lounge in T3 to the option of having to use the T4 lounge.

Swissdiver
    Participant

DisgustedofSwieqi,

IMHO T5 is one of the best terminal I know. The up and down are far better than walking for miles. Everything is working there smoothly. And BA lounges are a treat. And 21 minutes to down-town is also quite a plus.

As an airport though, LHR suffers from a lack of space of course, a third runway and history that doesn’t help. But when flying BA, it is fine.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“IMHO T5 is one of the best terminal I know.”

You need to get out more 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls