Qatar Airways CEO Akbar Al Baker stepping down

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

Qatar is not it seems a profitable airline despite all of its business advantages.

It made substantial losses every year from 2017 and often prior to that.
    Due to the World Cup they posted a US$ 1.2 billion profit last year.

These results need also to be taken in the context of a plentiful supply of cheap government money and subsidised fuel.

Is it a solid stand alone business ? It seems not.

Does it deliver a decent product ? Tt seems so.

Has it fulfilled the Qatari governments plan for it ? Possibly

alainboy56
    Participant

Have always understood that his origins are Hyderabadi/Irani.
    I have also been informed that when he speaks arabic, he does so like an Indian, which is slightly embarrassing to the Qatar elite.
    However, after 27 years at the helm it obviously didn’t bother them too much.

My Qatari local sources tell me that he will become an advisor to the Qatar Foreign Minister.

Perhaps he has health issues …………… ?

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I wish him well, though somewhat of a polarising figure.

Having just completed 4 sectors with them for the first time in about 7 years, their Q suite and general J class offering is very hard to beat.
    I’ve been fortunate perhaps in all my flights with them over the years have been without hitch, but he deserves credit for some of the J class innovations they’ve rolled out and excellent product they offer in the air. (Not to mention their excellent J only lounge at DOH).

1 user thanked author for this post.

stuart leFrenchy
    Participant

He had a diva personality with “marmite” traits to boot. Airbus’s fuselage paint dept. will be glad to see the backside of him gone…..hahaha

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Industry magazine Aviation Week has published a lengthy analysis.

Here’s one small piece:

“According to industry sources Al Baker did not leave voluntary at this time.

“People who know him well say he would have liked to continue for longer and would have been very interested in becoming Chairman of the airline.

“But his superiors, mainly Chairman Saad Sherida Al Kaabi – a powerful figure who is also Qatar’s energy minister – thought otherwise.”

https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/airlines-lessors/daily-memo-akbar-al-bakers-departure-marks-break-airline-industry

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls