Qatar Airways CEO Akbar Al Baker stepping down

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

It’s understood that Qatar Airways CEO Akbar Al Baker will be leaving the airline effective November 5.

The 61-year old aviation boss has been with thos airline for 27 years.

We can expect to see changes at the Doha-based airline.

Maybe its A380s will remain in service for longer than intended.

Maybe we will see Qatar Airways finally jump on the premium economy bandwagon.

More news to follow.

4 users thanked author for this post.

MarkivJ
    Participant

He definitely was a bit of a marmite personality wasn’t he? Some Qatar residents say he put the country on the aviation map whilst some think of him as an absolute diva

3 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Very interesting. In addition to how QR may change I wonder what the impact on Oneworld will be? He was in addition to QR CEO “head” of the alliance and was eager to get new members.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Still no offical confirmation from the airline (at time of writing.

But the news is circulating. Both Bloomberg and Reuters has reported it.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/qatar-airways-ceo-is-stepping-down-source-2023-10-23/

esselle
    Participant

In addition to his role in QR, he is also CEO of Hamad International,and many subsidiary companies.

Rumour is that he will be replaced at QR by the current COO of the airport, Badr Al-Meer.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Officially confirmed a few mins ago.

mkcol74
    Participant

Wonderful news, not before time.

cwoodward
    Participant

He at least to me seemed unnecessarily bothersome and confrontational. Picking unwinnable fights for what seemed to me just because he could.
    However he did make some significant and very solid investments in other airlines.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MarkivJ
    Participant

I was having a great chat with the QR FA last week when I flew to BLR. He was telling me more about Al baker. Apparently he isn’t a Qatari (he’s half Indian – mum is from mumbai) and his biological dad is either Kuwaiti or Iraqi. So that’s caused some friction in the country as to how a non-Qatari was made the ceo of one of the country’s most profitable businesses. On the other hand, they also recognise his business talent and respect him for that.

transtraxman
    Participant

Sorry sparkyflier that “inappropriate comment” was my mistake.

superchris
    Participant

I believe he was indeed a Diva from someone I knew who worked with him closely. No doubting his impact though.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs, Qatar are a stunning airline and lead the way in customer delivery in an otherwise sea of mediocrity.

sparkyflier
    Participant

transtraxman – no problem and thank you. I was wondering what was contentious about my post ha ha.

stevescoots
    Participant

As someone who was flying QR regular probably 16/17 years ago to asia and after a long break has been doing the odd one with them recently one cannot deny the impact he has had, I agree with Cwoodward that he tends to pick fights for the sake of attention, Micheal O’leary springs to mind for attention seeking. overall a job very well done and maybe it is time for someone else to take the helm with less of an ego

MarkivJ
    Participant

superchris – I love QR’s revolutionary Q Suite but I’m not sure what you mean by customer delivery. Their customer support is terrible. QR are a great example of “when it’s good, it’s great. But when it’s bad, let’s not go there”.

7 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls