Qantas London Dubai is a good option for Oneworld card holders

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

Although I normally use EK from Manchester, I recently recently tried QF from London, specifically premium economy.

Disadvantages

– if connecting from a domestic BA flight, you lose the painless connection on the outbound in T5
    – you earn less avios (not an issue for me, but may be for some)
    – for those with CCR card, no Concorde Room in T3 lounge, which BAEC cardholders and other OW use for QF flights)

Parity

– have to reclear security on return
    – same ‘new’ WT+ seat as fitted on BA

Advantages

– much better food and beverages, with two services (no party size Mars bars)
    – service feels premium, with linen tablecloth
    – attentive service (to be fair, judged on only two flights)
    – can use EK Business or First lounges in DXB T3 as OW Sapphire or Emerald (these blow the BA lounge in T1 Concourse D away)

Whilst the London connection is less than ideal, if I can buy the MAN-LHR-DXB return ticket for =<£850 (and this seems feasible, as I’ve just booked another trip for late October), then I’ll take it over EK Y at ~£550 – the QF schedule allows for good timings (1305/2320 outbound and 0830 1240 inbound) and I regard the extra comfort of premium economy as being more than adequate for a daylight flight.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Good points FDoS.

Has anyone used QF F or C to SYD or MEL recently? I haven’t now for quite a few years but need to go in November and was thinking of giving them a go just for the sheer fun of a change.

ABBA.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Having walked through the C cabin, enroute to W, I wasn’t particularly impressed by what I saw – 2 x 2 x 2 seating, little privacy.

Initial impression wasn’t that great, TBH and I wouldn’t want to spend 20 hours + in it. I’d take EY.

Didn’t see the F cabin.

esselle
    Participant

QF business MEL-SYD on my last flight was totally fine for a +/- 50 minute trip.

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

QF PY has always been a leading product across the OW family. Having said that, the meals are the same as Y but just served on china dishes. There is also a snack service on request, freshly assembled in the galley that is not available to Y pax.

The problem is finding a ticket at a good price point. It is consistently more expensive than CX or BA. If you can find it at £850 then by all means grab it. It my experience QF PY ex-LHR is more around the £1,500 – £2,000 price range. At that price point I’d rather pay more and fly BA Club ex-EU or CX/BA PY.

first_class_please
    Participant

John Harper –

Business class on the A380 is very ‘open’ as in 2-2-2 seating. Fine if with a partner, but not the best if travelling alone.

If travelling alone I much prefer Etihad, Cathay or the BA Business class seats.

First on the Qantas A380 is a very nice seat, slightly strange in that for take off and landing the seat faces straight forward, so you don’t see out of the windows too well. when you use the footrest you are then angled to the window with better views out.

For some reason they also have shoulder harness belts, rather than just a lap belt.

Service was very good and food excellent on board. (2015 experiences)

esselle
    Participant

For me one of the plus points flying QF is that they sometimes carry Pol CSWC.

rferguson
    Participant

I think Qantas offer a great product across all of their classes. They are certainly ‘up there’ as far as the ‘western’ carriers go.

What’s interesting is how in a sense their predicament was similar to other ‘legacy carriers’ such as BA’s. Especially on the long haul front – intense competition from the ME3 who now dominate the Australia – europe market. However instead of ‘cut cut cut’ Qantas have elevated their product to compete. And it’s translated into good profits for them. Admittedly they do not have a great deal of competition on the short haul front – they own the biggest LOCO. I remember flying them longhaul c15 years ago and they were really AWFUL. These days they would often be my airline of choice if they operate a route I am flying.

The domestic product is incredible. I flew from Sydney to Perth on the newly configured A330’s and it is just an incredible experience for a domestic flight. The seating and catering were better than i’ve experienced in J on -JFK.

Agree on the fare aspect though. I used Avios for SYD-PER and out of curiosity I checked how much the fare would be. It was around AU$4500 and there is none of this ‘pre flight upgrade for $200’ business like in europe (although you can ‘bid’ for upgrades from some base fares), nor sales. It’s a chicken before the egg situation and i’m not sure if they set such high fares because they offer such a great product and have limited competition (even on shorter domestic flights) OR if it’s a case of passengers prepared to pay a premium for a great product.

Also agree on the A380 Business Class seating – it’s not all direct aisle access and privacy is not a strong point. However a Qantas friend tells me that the management are doing a U-Turn on the previous decision not to retro fit the A380 with the new Vantage suite found on the 330.

Seats, lounges, service, catering, frequent flyer program, consistency….ticks all the boxes for me.

Henryp1
    Participant

I’m not too sure that I understand the purpose of PE as it’s still an economy service with no substantial differences apart from a few inches in pitch and meals served on china (from what I’ve picked up). When I’ve seen the rows of seats when walking by they still appear to be packed in like the economy cabins.

But I suppose for a short day flight PE might be acceptable if business is out of budget. As there are highly rated carriers who do not have the PE product and other carriers who are removing the product, it reinforces my ambivalence about the product.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I’m not too sure that I understand the purpose of PE

It allows airlines to earn a premium from people who wish to have extra luxury (in terms of 7″ extra pitch, more recline and more width) compared to economy, but do not wish to pay the multiples required for business. It is a lot more comfortable than Y seating, akin to business class 20 years ago.

It seems to be a winner for BA, QF, AF, LH and AA are introducing it.

It is also mercifully free of expense account hooray henries gorging on free booze and acting poorly, in short a civlised cabin for a 5-8 hour day flight – not so good overnight, although doable on US east coast returnrs, where one doesn’t get much sleep due to the short flight duration.

Henryp1
    Participant

[quote quote=755945]I’m not too sure that I understand the purpose of PE

It allows airlines to earn a premium from people who wish to have extra luxury

——————————-

From what I’ve seen and read I’m not so sure I would consider PE extra luxury.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=755955]

I’m not too sure that I understand the purpose of PE

It allows airlines to earn a premium from people who wish to have extra luxury

——————————-

From what I’ve seen and read I’m not so sure I would consider PE extra luxury.

[/quote]

Well, maybe the proposition doesn’t work too well for plutocrats?

Meanwhile, in the rest of the world, a lot of people like it.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Henryp1 – Having compiled a premium economy feature for the September issue of the magazine, I can assure you that there are only a few “highly rated” carriers who do not yet offer such a product. And I would imagine they will follow in the not too distant future.

One of the main exceptions are the Gulf carriers but, even here, Emirates president Tim Clark has stated his airline is evaluating premium economy.

Will Emirates introduce premium economy?

If Emirates were to install such seating its Gulf rivals would surely follow.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Thanks for the comment AMcW – if EK launched premium, I’d be delighted.

thecartoonman
    Participant

It’s all about perception.

If you mainly travel in business then PE is not attractive, but if you normally travel in Y then PE is a major plus, if you happen to be seated in this smaller, quieter cabin since it is a real bonus over Y and at fares normally considerably below J.

I recently did LGW-MCO-LGW, out in Y and back in PE, it was like ‘chalk and cheese’ and I am certainly with FDOS_UK on this one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls