Priority Baggage on BA?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

joeadvisory

next time that happens phone the call centre in the USA and be persistant. They sometimes work wonders.

Potakas
    Participant

Or the Greek/Cypriot one, and if they tell you that they cannot do it, insist as they can.

KeaneJohn
    Participant

I tend to find that priority tagged luggage with most airlines is rarely treated with priority.

Whilst not a frequent user at T5 I have found that (all) luggage is either on the belt or there not long after me whether it is tagged or not.

Smaller airports are obviously better. Love arriving at LCY on all airlines out the airport within minutes of landing even with hold luggage.

Best experience was LH into DXB tagged priority bags on belt in first batch.

Other notable feats arriving in MCT ex DXB on LX again in J class and priority tagged. Bags off in first batch though I am guessing this is because only 5 pax joined the flight in DXB and only me in J class so I am guessing it was a case of last in first out.

Finally, on MCT-DXB-CAI-LHR trip with LX/MS again in J class, baggage on belt at LHR T3 as I got there WITH NO TAG ON. I am guessing the tag came off at LHR due to the multiple handling involved en route. Scary though, although bags did have address info on inside and out !

Extranuts
    Participant

Travelling through Gatwick last week after family holiday on BA with priority labels on all suitcases. 3 cases. First was third case on the belt, next was about half way through and the 3rd felt like nearly the last bag off!!! I can understand pods and militant left wing handlers but can’t really get how they can all get so separated and it’s not the 1st time; any clues???

Delsurrey
    Participant

It could be that the third back was diverted for screening by HM Customs (or whatever they are called now).

Binman62
    Participant

There is no conspiracy among baggage handlers to deliberately target priority bags or delay their delivery to belts. That is simply Daily Mail esque nonsense by those who see trades unions as some sort of national enemy, sporting horns and cloven hoofs.

The issue is that airlines do not treat the arrival process as meaningful; the investment in baggage systems has been huge but entirely designed around the reduction of lost baggage (I am not complaining) and little in the way of handling priority bags.

T5 was designed to provide a slick experience and if you recall there was initially no differentiation at check in (other than First), the idea being that you would never have to queue and so having separate areas for Club World and World Traveller would not be required. That idea extended to baggage handling also.

I would not care if my bags was first or last of an aircraft so long as it was available inside 20 minutes of landing….guaranteed. That it can take 30 minutes for bags to be delivered after flying from Edinburgh to London is simply unacceptable.

SIN in particular is an airport where it is rare to arrive at a baggage belt and then wait for bags to begin arriving. They are often already there and it is just one aspect of the arrival experience that makes arriving in SIN one of the most pleasant experiences in travel.

I personally would also like to know if my bag made it on to the aircraft at all and at a very early stage. That way I can plan and make arrangements get some clothes and other supplies. Baggage mishandling is a fact of travel life and one I can understand and deal with. What is unacceptable is not knowing and being left hanging about at a baggage belt for an hour waiting for something that will not arrive and then having to complete forms.

Finally airlines need to reunite crew with their bags somewhere other than the baggage hall or find a more palatable process rather than simply providing them with their bags before the customers.

PerthWA
    Participant

Well done BA… Saturday/Sunday … Bags tagged first from PER via SIN via LHR to VIE with a very tight connection off QF. Bag was second onto carousel.
    Today… Bag tag priority at VIE/LHR … Upgrade to club at the gate… AND my bag off first… One happy camper.. But now let me tell you about the 300 quid a night cupboard I’m checked into for the next 3 days…. Obviously I’m the only dingdong in the world that didn’t realise it’s London super overcharge the tourist time because it’s Wimbledon!

Hippocampus
    Participant

The days when BA’s operation at LHR was at the mercy of the unions through restrictive practices, go slows, stoppages and other forms of industrial sabotage are long gone.

The quantum leap in BA’s on time and baggage performance post T5 is not just because of the new terminal, significant reform of working practices has played a huge part and BA is almost a completely different airline in that regard.

PerthWA
    Participant

To add to my last post … just arrived back from JFK via BNE to PER… Qantas first class tags on my bags…. and guess what? At Brisbane, I was the last person to collect my bags, express it through quarantine to domestic only to find in Perth, yes you guessed it….again, last bags off. Does anyone perhaps begin to believe that perhaps Australian baggage handlers do this on purpose? Because I definitely do!!

Potakas
    Participant

On my last sequence of flights,

I was the last to receive my luggage at LHR T5 from EDI on a Business UK ticket and I am BA Gold.

And I was the first to receive my luggage (Actually the carousel started just for my luggage and then stopped again), on my BUD-ATH flight with Malev. Business Class ticket, OW Emerald.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

My main reason for using the “priority” labels is not the snob value but the hope they will be better looked after and not get lost!

RichHI1
    Participant

There are exceptions but I have found priority labels on most bags make no difference. The exceptions from my experience are JAL / ANA at NRT and TAM at GRU.
    From experience the only way to get bags off quickly is to have a crew label.

robsmith100
    Participant

Potakas – Nice one!!!

but would it be legal to use? ;o)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls