Poor long-haul BA experience

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Bwgs
    Participant

I recently flew SFO-LHR and back on BA in Club. What a poor experience! Both flights were the old configuration (777-300 and A380) and the seats were in poor shape. The seat areas were filthy on both flights, electrical outlets didn’t work on either flight, the footrest on the A380 was worn and “angled”, the in-flight entertainment kept on having to be rebooted on the 777, food was bland if vaguely ok. If BA clearly cuts so many costs on the hard and soft product, one wonders what they’re spending “beneath the hood” on aircraft maintenance?

4 users thanked author for this post.

BugAdvisor
    Participant

The only reason to choose BA over Virgin on that route is price. I hope, at least, you didn’t pay too much for your ticket.

FDOS
    Participant

Bwgs

You could have a look at KLM. Not class leading, but steady and good value.

1 user thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I sympathise with Bwgs. The only direct flight from Accra is with BA so I don’t really have much of a choice. When I first moved, it was good old 747s with the old layout. Since COVID it has been mainly A350s with the new suites. But for a while it was a mix of 350s and 777s and you didnt know what you would get in advance. Now it is almost always 350s on the LHR route but the new flights from LGW to Accra (starting in October) will be 777s and, as it looks, un-refurbished.

The two are almost incomparable yet the price difference is minimal. One wonders if BA is dragging its feet with the refurbs in order to benefit from the extra capacity in the old cabins?

I will be doing both the LHR and LGW routes this autumn, although thankfully only one on the LGW leg, but I am already bracing myself for a wobbly footrest, lack of storage space, poor IFE screen and a disturbed night’s sleep as my neighbour and I clamber over each other.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Nicholas Bacon
    Participant

I flew on BA 777-300 from LHR to Singapore a few weeks ago in the new upgraded Club cabin. Superb seat. Comfortable with excellent personal storage and privacy. 1-2-1 configuration. IFE very good. Cabin service and food very good. A very comparable experience to SQ business class on same route a few months earlier (I never thought I would say that in my lifetime!). BA’s new Club cabin is transformational. My sympathies to Bwgs and hopefully next time he / she will get the new Club cabin experience.

5 users thanked author for this post.

MollyKelly
    Participant

Thanks for the reviews, I appreciate it. I will keep it in my mind.

SwissExPat
    Participant

I recently needed to get to Chicago with BA.

There was an option of flights and I opted to not fly the A380 due to the (now) older seat configuration in Club (although I do love the A380)..

I am going to try the Wet leased Air Belgium operated replacement (A330 Neo) with 1-2-1 layout which is BA’s other daily offering on LHR-ORD.

Will see how it compares to the new BA club suite.

gatlish
    Participant

KLM are garbage nowadays. Poor service

Midlands Traveller
    Participant

Recently flew LHR – LAX and then SFO – LHR with BA in Club. New seat on outbound flight (777) and old seat on return (380).

Both legs were fine. The BA offering is pretty decent, not the best but far from the worst in my experience. The new seat is much more private and just easier to use with space for putting things down. Although it is less comfortable for sleeping as I think has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum. The 380 flight was delayed a couple of hours, which does not seem to be unusual again according to the forum. Thankfully I was luckier than Bwgs and the electrical outlets worked.

I found the food to be hit and miss. For example on the way back the fruit part of the breakfast was fresh and delicious, the main cooked breakfast was awful.

Although like many other posters I have had my share of BA nightmares this time both flights were OK, simply average.

2 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

Interesting article in yesterday’s (Daily) “Mail Online”, related to this thread.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12433549/BA-passengers-face-travel-chaos-families-left-stranded-overseas-three-days-cancelled-flights.html

Possibly more damaging to BA, as it is written by well-known writer Sarah Vine is a similar one, although it relates to a short-haul experience:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-12434429/SARAH-VINE-wished-flying-Ryanair.html

As I have written previously, it’s the poor customer service when things have gone wrong that customers remember most, when choosing a product or service.

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

From reports,forum posts and press releases over the past few weeks I have formed an impression the the new man at the helm may finally be making headway towards remedying some of the airlines more glaring long unaddressed issues and possibly tending the green shoots towards pushing BA upwards towards once again becoming a respected full service airline.

Its a very long way back though and my impressions of positive signs may well be over optimistic.

Terry
    Participant

Poor service & BA are redundant. As noted, only reason to pick BA is convenience or superior price.

MollyKelly
    Participant

Thank you Terry for your review, I will keep it in my mind.

workandtravel
    Participant

Yup, thanks for the review. In the future, when planning long-haul flights, it’s good to check recent reviews and ratings for the specific aircraft and cabin configuration you’ll be flying on, as this can help you choose flights with better overall conditions and amenities.

fsav81
    Participant

Totally agree with Bwgs. I flew back from the States yesterday on the A380 and so had to the old Club World product. It’d been a couple of years since I’d last experienced it and was reminded at how rubbish it is. On the food front, I must say, BA hasn’t been too bad of late, but the wine selection is terrible.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls