Please do not come to Cape Town…..

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Very good piece in the Financial Times this morning on this

How Cape Town beat the drought

The city was on the verge of becoming the first major urban centre to run out of water but has averted the crisis. But for how long, and at what cost, in a divided country?

To be fair to the article, it’s not about ‘beating’ the drought but about the measures taken and how it has revealed other problems.

openfly
    Participant

They certainly haven’t beaten Day Zero! They have been lucky with the recent heavy rainfall, but the dams are still much lower than this time last year.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Richard Bosman, Executive Director Safety and Security of the City of Cape Town is giving a presentation at the Swiss and Austrian Sports Club on May 9th on the subject “Water Crisis Cape Town, Western Cape – Water Disaster Plan”. If there are any Swiss or Austrian citizens there who are interested then get in touch with the consulate for an invitation.

openfly
    Participant

Water wise things have improved markedly over the last few months. The dams are now fuller than the last 3 years.
    Good news….except for an alarming article in today’s Cape Times.

Apparently the local government are begging for effluent treatment plants as all sewage and waste goes straight into the sea around Cape Town untreated, yes raw sewage. There is no sewage treatment in the area.

I thought it was just the cold water deterring the locals from going into the sea! But they are charging for plastic bags….

Of course there is no government money to treat sewage as it’s all been given to SAA….

2 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=921233]I thought it was just the cold water deterring the locals from going into the sea! But they are charging for plastic bags….[/quote]

Yes, you can swim with the seals, the sharks and now, swimming with the turds!! How lovely! This will really entice the tourists to come to CT.

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

It’s years since I’ve been able to enjoy going to the beaches at busy times. I loved Camps Bay. It and many other popular beaches suffers from parking and traffic problems, the constant procession of hawkers, uncivilised behaviour, and litter.

This, and other reasons, is why so many people have swimming pools.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls