Plaudits to Emirates

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

• Tramor01
    Participant

Martyn I’ve use Qatar quite a few times, both to BKK and to Hanoi.
    They used to have some very attractive deals in the past, but I’m not so sure right now.
    The problem with the stop off is your flights are of similar duration so you can’t manage more than 6 hrs sleep at most.
    Depending on which flights I’m on, quite often I use one leg for sleeping and stay awake on the other.
    As there are a number of different connection option each using different equipment and different seat layouts, the trick is to focus on those flights where you can select a window Q-Suite, or failing that, the A350’s etc. with the newer business class seats

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thank you Pedlars, K1ngston and Tramor01 – never done the ME shuffle, in the main for the ‘sleep reasons’ stated. However, there is no point in trying to undertake a multi country trip, unless I need 5 weeks strict rest… so once jabs are in, it will be a one destination trip to BKK and sadly no BBQ this time K1ngston in SIN.. I wonder just how long Asia can maintain these levels of Quarantine as an entry condition – there has to come a time when the hotels and associated businesses can no longer keep going..

Absolutely NOT looking forward to 15 nights lock up (and the additional expense), but hoping by the time I go this may be reviewed, but who knows.

Have a wonderful weekend whatever you manage to do – even my weekend of sport has been dampened with SWFC not playing due to a Covid infections…

Pedlars
    Participant

Martyn, we should stop sharing now, I’m a Blade šŸ™‚
    Seriously though, my colleagues here say that the light local restrictions will ease on 17 January – I’m not convinced, but we will see. Unless things here are normalised, then international traveller restrictions will not be eased. But I do continue to hear whispers that 15 days may be cut to 10. There does appear to be a major fear of opening up here. The government has a tricky balancing act, as all governments do. There are continued messages within Thailand that tourism is not a big element to GDP, it clearly is and they think they can get by through manufacturing/agricultural exports, even with an unrealistically strong Bhat. I’ll quit on the politics now and the motives for the strong Bhat. But I sense that there is a lack of concern especially as we are about 6-7 weeks to the end of the high season. Most in hospitality are resigned to waiting until next October.
    Other issues are carrier capacity. TG one per week, BA none for the foreseeable future. So even opening up, it is too late for many tourists and mid-year is too hot and sticky for many.

anyway, I look forward to my beloved Blades making it three in a row on Sunday, with a celebratory coke, of course šŸ™‚
    Enjoy your weekends

DerekVH
    Participant

Not that I have used them but friends do, EVA appear to be itching to get back on the LHR-BKK route so there will hopefully be another direct option as opposed to TG (but still no F).

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1088883]Iā€™m a Blade šŸ™‚[/quote]

Yikes, you are the second ‘wrong side of Sheffield’ person I have met on here. The first one I still entrust with all my air tickets (well I did a year ago)…. I used to go into the Black Swan before it moved to soi 19 wearing the blue shirt; days gone by would get abuse. Shame the Pickled Liver (soi 7) closed, used to watch most games there when I was in town. Whilst we could rib each other about our respective football teams, i still think it is sad for Sheffield to have two once mighty teams rooted to the foot of their respective tables…

Thanks for your thoughts/comments about quarantine in Thailand. 10 days is better than 15, but it’s still a long time to be imprisoned in a room. I heard from a hotel GM, that 1st July was meant to be a pivotal day, but that was before the increase in infections. Thailand has an amazing ability to survive and I am sure it will this time round, but I wonder how those industries and businesses that rely on busy airports and airlines bringing the foreigners in will survive. I guess time will tell….

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1088883]

Alas not peddlar, normality returns! Hope you were able to bring yourself to have that coke šŸ™‚ Football aside peddlar, talking with my ex neighbours and friends in Phuket, this years season is a right off and the authorities are very loathe to open the borders after the recent spike! Now this may differ from BKK but in Phuket things are dire and the tourist industry is unsure whether it will survive!

@Martyn
    alas Singapore Authorities reported on Saturday that everyone coming from the UK whoever they are must do an extra 1 week SHN (at home if you have one) so rather than getting better its getting worse! I dont think we will be having that BBQ anytime soon my friend! As for the Black Swan thats now just down the road from the Westin I often frequent that establishment I dont believe it was one of the MANY you and I frequented in our time in BKK!

Pedlars
    Participant

@K1ngston, I should have had an early night, abject performance.

One of the benefits of having a balcony is that you can talk with others also outside whilst in ASQ. A note for UK travellers, due to the ‘British variant’ we are unable to leave our rooms (for exercise at specific pre-planned times within the hotel grounds) until after our second covid test result – day 12. Our Swedish friends are allowed these privileges after their first covid negative test result, which would be day 4. Be warned, and everyone stay safe

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1089192]

Yes was all over after the first 5 minutes! When we did SHN here in Singapore when we got back here we were lucky to get a balcony, and used to have my daily chat with the person next door, so it does depend which hotel they give you, but to your point the new British, South African and now Brazilian variant is making authorities make swingeing changes, so there is no guarantee of anything at this time…

In the meantime I hope you are well and I for one hope that your beloved team start winning games for you soon!

traveldoc
    Participant

Centre Point Bangrak only occupied every other room so that you did not have anyone next to you on a balcony. The 15 days passed. Boring at times but reasonably do-able. The removal fo the erk to go to the pool after a negative test on Day 5 was a blow though.
    Having now been released I cannot believe how quiet Bangkok is. Malls are almost empty and food courts (normally thriving) are about 10% occupied. There seems no chance of a relaxation in rules before the end of the month, so I can only hope that Jack’s Bar is open to welcome me for my first Singha (having embarked upon a dry January) on 1st February

Pedlars
    Participant

traveldoc – how petty is leaving a vacant room in between? Unless they butt-up, I suppose. I hear from the outside that things are quiet. I expect that 1st February will be the earliest as the announcement on 17th January never happened, or the restrictions were rolled over.

Enjoy your Singha – make sure there’s one left for me next Wednesday.

PS, don’t you think it feels like ‘Ice Cold in Alex’ all over again šŸ˜‰

Famina
    Participant

Emirates airline, dnata and other subsidiaries within Emirates Group today, January 18 rolled out a COVID-19 vaccination programme for its UAE based workforce in coordination with the Dubai Health Authority and the Ministry of Health and Prevention.

https://bangladeshmonitor.com.bd/news-details/emirates-rolls-out-covid-19-vaccination-programme

traveldoc
    Participant

Previously reported on my DUB-DXB-BKK on 1st January. Just returned BKK-DXB-DUB on 14th March. Similar really excellent experience. Well done to Emirates to make the flying experience as normal as possible whilst making sure that standard COVID procedures were followed. Lovely flights; fanastic service. Thank you to Emirates and the crews involved.

cwoodward
    Participant

So in short they delivered ‘as advertised’.
    No more no less?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls