Plaudits to Emirates

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

• traveldoc
    Participant

Flew DUB-DXB-BKK departing 1st January (first flight since 8th March). Flight DUB-DXB completely full in all classes. No lounge; EK offered a €20 voucher for use at the one coffee bar open, where it took 20 minutes to queue for anything.
    Emirates flight crew were excellent – wearing PPE, including visor, face mask and gloves, but did everything they could to provide the usual excellent service. I happened to be flying in F (at £100 more than a J ticket it was a no-brainer) and at each seat there was a box containing masks, gloves, hand sanitizer and anti-bacterial wipes. Cabin service and food were fantastic, as ever.
    DXB-BKK much quieter, but still greta service.
    Currently on Day 7 of 15-day quarantine, but surviving remarkably well.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

[postquote quote=1088135]

Thanks for the useful report. While I am pleased that you enjoyed the flight I don’t see anything in the above report that was beyond the reasonable expectation of 1st class on any of the ‘good’ major airlines, Singapore, Cathay, JAL etc. Arguably better overall than BA where the reasonable expectation would be some sort of cold Economy ‘feast BUT with a lounge offering. In fact in my view EK fell well short with no lounge…..a Euro 20 voucher and a 10 minute queue just does not cut it. A significant cost saving opportunity of course that saved the airline several hundred Euro. This 1st class offering would be far from my expectation and I will continue not to rush to fly with EK but then again I never do if it is at all avoidable.

traveldoc
    Participant

In fairness to Emirates, they do not have their own lounge at Dublin, but Dublin Airport Authority lounge was closed so EK had no choice. Lounge was available in DXB, with part of the Business lounge in B gates cordoned off for exclusive use of F passengers.

SimonS1
    Participant

Same situation in LHR….Emirates has been shifted to T2 with no lounge. Plus limited service in terminal.

I also thought the service on board was good. They have more or less maintained standards, in contrast to the BA cold Covid meal routine.

This trip I was in Dubai Marina an hour after landing including 2 checked bags and a Covid test on arrival.

Stevescoots
    Participant

Same with Cathay , no lounge as they got moved to T2 in LHR, and you dont even get a voucher to use.

cwoodward
    Participant

Steve
    Cathay lounge at LHR
    Cathay is temporarily using the Plaza Premium lounge.
    Below :

Alcoholic drinks are only available to passengers aged 18 years and over.
    Location: Level 4, Terminal 2 Departures (Next to the terminal transfer area)
    Opening hours:05:00 – 21:00 daily

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@traveldoc – hope you quarantine in BKK bearable. Out of interest, is it 5 days until you were allowed to have some fresh air & then is it daily thereafter? I would be interested to hear any comments about the experience.. I am deciding shortly whether to make a trip to BKK and even if I am fortunate enough to have had the vaccine (in Group 8) by July, I guess the Quarantine will now still be in situ for some considerable time.

Many thanks

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1088369]

Martyn, spoke to a good friend of mine yesterday ( in fact you know him we ate together there) he lives in BKK and there has been a spike in positive tests there and the Government is moving quickly into partial lockdowns restricing going out which last time was the precursor to a full lockdown so things may still be difficult there for the forseeable future.

@traveldoc
    what hotel do they have you in? Glad its not too bad for you and be careful upon “being set free”

traveldoc
    Participant

Martyn – I SHOULD have been free to go to the pool for an hour each day from Day 7 (assuming negative COVID test on Day 5). Note that day of arrival is Day 0. However due to the “British mutant virus” any arrival form UK now is confined to room until after a second negative COVID test on Day 12. WiFi has allowed me to continue work and Zoom calls, and I have read loads of books. Looking forward to finishing my sentence on Sunday though!

traveldoc
    Participant

K1ngston – I opted for Centre Point in Bangrak as I have used it over many years for visitors and for various events. Rooms are a bit bigger, due to its past as serviced apartments, and they have been fine.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1088526]

Stay safe upon exit, things are hotting up over there with the spike they have ….

2 users thanked author for this post.

Pedlars
    Participant

I’m also in ASQ in Bangkok (work permit renewal), at the Anantara Riverside – with a balcony to escape a glass box. By co-incidence I also travelled with Emirates (first time with them). I am Thai Platinum due to frequency between LHR-BKK. With Emirates I travelled First, because I can and used this carrier and route for personal research. I cannot criticise Emirate in any area. I thought the experience was first class in every sense. I could have gone with TG, but that flight is ‘dry’ and facing 15 days dry was too much to cope with 🙂 TG has no First as their 380s are all grounded.
    I would say that a direct flight is preferable (TG917, evening flight from LHR allows you sleep, BC only, no FC). Stopping halfway also stops any reasonable sleep. Not a problem, I have 15 days to rest (and work). Any return to a semblance of normality may make me reconsider direct operators (whoever will be left)

In summary ASQ is not so bad (only 3rd day!) EK was beyond expectations. If anyone can get here (the conditions attached) and prepared to have a separate filing cabinet for the paperwork then I would certainly recommend it.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am looking to go to Asia in June/July, post group 8 vaccine. I would find it very hard to stay at any other hotel than my usual one (all my clothes / business equipment in storage there) – but I think a balcony for ASQ would make the difference (which my hotel doesn’t have). I was rather hoping the vaccines would persuade Thailand to review ASQ, but am not all that confident.

Thanks Pedlars and traveldoc for your posts…

K1ngston, many thanks, i try to keep updated with Thailand using thaivisa.com and thethaiger.com both useful sources for current info.

As for travel to Thailand, am likely to cut my teeth with a middle east transfer for the first time. I will take advice as always from ‘TF’, but it appears there are currently better transit options via ME. Direct flights appear to be few and far between…

Pedlars
    Participant

Martyn – get over when you can. I am in the same position as you. All my stuff is at a Marriott, with no balconies. This was my first consideration for ASQ (as I am on my terrace right now). I did try and look for Singapore Airlines, but not sure of their flights to LHR – if they are flying to UK at all. This would get over my sleep issue, trivial as it is.

Just another 20 minutes before my plastic bento boxes arrive 🙂

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1088632]

Pedlars the third day is fine as is the fourth and then you begin to go stir crazy, but I wish you the best of luck! As for the other points raised, I dont believe SQ is flying to LHR as SIngapore has banned UK ctizens coming to Singapore due to the variant so I doubt the flights are happening at the moment! Martyn as for which of the ME carriers is best to come to BKK, from Experience EK has many flights but if you want to maintain your status and points on OW then QR is the way to go surely? I travel often with QR and I find their planes, service and experience in Doha preferable to that of Dubai albeit thats not to say EK is not good!

Best of luck to everyone on ASQ or SHN in the region, we have the virus under control in relevant terms and is a small price to pay for the relative freedoms we have

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls