Paying passengers for assisting cabin crew

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

• Poshgirl58
    Participant

After the report that Jet2 intend to bill an unruly passenger, a couple on the same flight are now claiming they should receive part of the money.

Apparently, after assisting in the restraint, they were only offered a free soft drink each.

Are they just wanting their fifteen minutes of fame, or should they be given more for going to the aid of cabin crew who were allegedly being assaulted.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

It used to be the reason that Dr’s sometimes were slow in answering a crew call for help. No thanks from airlines and a possible professional liability issue. Not sure if that’s still the case…

capetonianm
    Participant

The ‘compensation’ sub-culture is as repulsive as the ‘look at me’ sub-culture.

In any case, I don’t think there will be any money for them. The likelihood of the woman being able to pay £85000 is remote, and out of whatever she might pay, Jet2 should have first claim to defray their expenses.

Well done Jet2 for billing and for sending the right message. I hope they will pursue and make the woman’s life a misery with CCJs and bailiffs.

capetonianm
    Participant

christopheL : You have made this type of bigoted and untrue comment before about British people having an obsession with money. I have no idea what gives rise to this but it is quite inappropriate as well as untrue.

I am not ‘reporting’ your comment as inappropriate, even if it is, as I would prefer it to stay on the forum as evidence of your bigotry.

If we are going to go down that route, and I probably shouldn’t descend to your level, some of the meanest and most materialistic people I have encountered have been French. I am sure you know the saying : “People in glass houses.”

5 users thanked author for this post.

AircraftLover
    Participant

If our actions are motivated by a reward, we will never enjoy the pleasure of helping without expecting anything in return

Now, it is true, that many airlines do not seem to have established a protocol of recognition towards passengers who perform some kind of exceptional action onboard

Wich simple, and immediate actions could the crew carry out, if the airline had a protocol established for this?

For example, an immediate upgrading to Business Class, and a voucher to access the VIP lounge at the airport

1 user thanked author for this post.

christopheL
    Participant

@capetonianm
    In a French flight report you will never read anything about the retail price of wines that are offered on board.
    In a French newspaper you will never been given the price of the house were either a singer or a murdered people used to live.
    You should realise one day that people from different countries have different feelings about a lot of things.
    I appreciate your comment about my bigoted and untrue comments but I am not sure you are the right man at the right place regarding this.
    What is surprising with you is that our very straightforward way to express your opinions is very French (not to say German or Dutch!) and not British at all 🙂

2 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

I held the hand of a poor guy who had been knocked off his bike by a lorry recently, doing my best to reassure him whilst waiting for the ambulance to arrive.

I completely forgot to ask him for a tenner to compensate me for my time!

10 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

What is surprising with you is that our very straightforward way to express your opinions is very French (not to say German or Dutch!) and not British at all

I am struggling to understand what you are trying to say here. Your expression is anything but straightforward. You might wish to clarify.

christopheL
    Participant

capetonianm
    Participant

I am still not sure of your point but it’s not worth pursuing. I am not British and throughout my life I have been used to saying what I think without caring whether others agree or are offended. I get worse with age!

If you think the French talk straight, I think you are confused! I have never, ever, worked with a nationality whose answers are so evasive, full of hot air, and meaningless, as the French.

To quote your ‘chart’, let me refer you to the first line : “I hear what you say” – yellow column – and let’s leave it there. With the greatest respect, bien sur!

alanred13
    Participant

The first long haul flight I took, 2005 BA to Chicago in Economy, was probably the most eventful flight I’ve ever had. Amongst a number of other things there was a medical emergency about 3 rows in front of me. Crew asked if the was a doctor on board, there was an American MD behind me. He check the lady out, seems it was not too serous. The flight attendant offered the Doctor an upgrade to First, but he declined, saying that he would stay near the patient. He did accept a glass of first class white wine. I think most people will help and not expect financial rewards.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

I think the mantra is “expect nothing and you will not be disappointed”. The fact that someone does do something should be viewed as a bonus. The real pity is in some industries if someone does go above and beyond they risk being sacked for not following SOP´s.

nevereconomy
    Participant

That this happened does not surprise me at all – there is a very unhealthy “something for nothing” culture in the UK very akin to that in the US. I have spent 1/2 of my life in each country and the two get closer all the time in all the wrong ways. Hopefully the man from Uxbridge will not finish the job.

Johnnyg
    Participant

I am surprised that whilst one was assisting the other wasn’t filming on a mobile. Inconsiderate people filming accidents and misfortunes to others really bugs me.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=949994]British people have a relationship to money which is bordering schizophrenia.
    [/quote]

And the French don’t Christophe??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls