Paying passengers for assisting cabin crew

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Good topic to get us thinking Poshgirl. I’d be more concerned with my safety (and that of others) than having any thought about a reward. So I’d certainly assist the crew without hesitation.

2 users thanked author for this post.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

Presumably the couple volunteered their assistance?

This incident does go to how airlines thank passengers for assisting on board and whether soft drink each was appropriate and/or enough irrespective of whether the couple are now claiming.

It also goes to the issue of how airlines give back in circumstances where they are very willing to take but not always willing to give. Passengers pay more charges these days than ever and airlines are becoming stricter and stricter with enforcement of rules / fines etc.

I guess if an airline expects passengers to act with goodwill when urgent assistance is needed, is it fair to expect the same goodwill to be extended when passengers are unexpectedly stuck on the motorway and miss their flight?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion. Many interesting views!

Would I offer assistance? Yes! Although I’m not medically qualified so wouldn’t answer those requests.

Would I expect reward, absolutely not!

Perhaps some airlines don’t cover this scenario in training cabin crew, or provide adequate guidelines. After all, flight safety is a serious matter and that’s where their priority lies.

travelworld2
    Participant

Jonny G- whilst you’re spot on about people filming accidents on a mobile, in this instance it might be warranted as first hand evidence of the passenger’s behaviour.

Johnnyg
    Participant

[quote quote=950347]Jonny G- whilst you’re spot on about people filming accidents on a mobile, in this instance it might be warranted as first hand evidence of the passenger’s behaviour.[/quote]

I totally agree in this instance, I was just generalising about accidents and incidents where people film before helping etc

christopheL
    Participant

The relationship between the French and money is very different from that of the British. Different countries, different cultures, different behaviours. What’s new ?
    As I previously mentionned, you will never see a French traveller writing a flight report giving the list of wines served on board and specifying for each wine the sale price in a store. When a murder has been committed at someone’s home, French newspapers do not specify the value of the house in which the murder was committed. British travellers and British newspapers do.
    Within western Europe the uniqueness of the British is that they need to give a monetary value to everything (including avios and miles). The French don’t. They like money (who doesn’t like it?) but they don’t talk about it and show it much less. Nobody is right, nobody is wrong, everybody just need to be aware of this differences.
    The story of those passengers who helped cabin crews on an plane and who know claim they should receive part of the money the airline billed to the unrully passengers is totally inconceivable in France (and probably in many other western countries). That was the starting point of my post.
    I can see my first post as now been reported as “inappropriate”. La belle affaire !!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=950400]When a murder has been committed at someone’s home, French newspapers do not specify the value of the house in which the murder was committed. British travellers and British newspapers do.[/quote]

Well you do have a point there Christophe, especially if you’re reading the Daily Mail, and not just for murders I may add.

capetonianm
    Participant

“Fred Smith, aged 43, who lives in a 3 bedroomed house worth £135,000 in a cul-de-sac in Harlow (Essex), said : “I think the price of wine on board is a scandal. I paid £4.50 for a 125 ml. bottle of cheap Rioger wine from Portugal which I could of bought a full sized bottle in Lidl for £3.99. My ticket only cost £6.99.”

As LP says, Daily Mail gutterpress ‘journalism’. The broadsheets do not publish this type of drivel, so I assume ChristopheL has been dipping into the lower end of the British media offering.

K1ngston
    Participant

[quote quote=950314]Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion. Many interesting views!

Would I offer assistance? Yes! Although I’m not medically qualified so wouldn’t answer those requests.

Would I expect reward, absolutely not!

Perhaps some airlines don’t cover this scenario in training cabin crew, or provide adequate guidelines. After all, flight safety is a serious matter and that’s where their priority lies.[/quote]

Hi Poshgirl58 excellent thread, and in particular your point about offering assistance. My husband is a highly trained Cardio Thoracic ICU nurse and was called upon when we were flying back from Bangkok a few years ago, there was a passenger in serious distress and they called out over the tannoy if there was a Dr on board, my husband was quick to jump up and offer assistance not only to the passenger but the cabin crew who were struggling to be fair with the situation.

We were on a Scoot flight (LCC arm of SQ) and the cabin crew were trying their best to assist, and he stepped in and using a defibrillator was able to help the woman and keep her comfortable and stable until we landed. When the ambulance staff had removed the woman everyone on the plane applauded my husband and upon exiting the plane the Captain held us back and thanked him personally as well as someone from Scoot meeting us to take details to send a thank you to him.

He didn’t think he jumped up to help a fellow passenger in distress and we subsequently found out that his actions probably prevented a far more serious situation on the flight. He wasn’t expecting payment, nor the obvious respect from Scoot Management, he was happy to help and it seems the airline have done good by him

5 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=950039]That this happened does not surprise me at all – there is a very unhealthy “something for nothing” culture in the UK very akin to that in the US. I have spent 1/2 of my life in each country and the two get closer all the time in all the wrong ways. Hopefully the man from Uxbridge will not finish the job.[/quote]

How times have changed…..

I believe someone , somewhere once said…..

“Ask Not What Your Country Can Do For You” ask what you can do for your country.
    Whether you are citizens of America or citizens of the world, ask of us the same high standards of strength and sacrifice which we ask of you. With a good conscience our only sure reward, with history the final judge of our deeds

Changed days indeed

Alsacienne
    Participant

christopheL you really give a poor impression of yourself by what you post, and whilst you have an absolute right to your personal views about the UK and its people, this is a business aviation forum and you tend to go ‘off topic’ very easily to harangue and dismiss your neighbours transmanche. Let’s stay on topic, be dignified and business-like, and don’t stir up trouble unnecessarily by airing views which seem deliberately to incite and continue unpleasantness in others.

captonianm Loved your ‘newspaper article’!!! Sadly (from personal contacts!!) I only wish that a 3 bedroom terrace in Harlow did cost £135 … double it at least and perhaps then add some depending on exactly where in Harlow it is!!!

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[quote quote=950400]As I previously mentionned, [/quote]

You seem to start almost any reply with “A very British problem” or some other slight. I don’t get it, this is a multi-national forum with people from around the world, yet you seem to be the only one constantly referring to British posts.

I think you might have an issue you should address.

Directly.
    AOTG.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[quote quote=949979]After the report that Jet2 intend to bill an unruly passenger, a couple on the same flight are now claiming they should receive part of the money.

Apparently, after assisting in the restraint, they were only offered a free soft drink each.

Are they just wanting their fifteen minutes of fame, or should they be given more for going to the aid of cabin crew who were allegedly being assaulted.[/quote]

I can see both sides of this: Jet2 could have and should have tried to get some better PR out of this incident by offering the couple two free flights anywhere on their routes as a ‘thank you’ for assisting their staff.

On the other hand, the couple publicly asking for a hand-out is just awful. We should, as decent functioning members of this society, do our best to help out fellow humans out when they are in distress, a ‘thank you’ should be all that is expected.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

3 users thanked author for this post.

alainboy56
    Participant

@Christophel – My MD is French and he has only ever one thing in his mind …. and that’s money – he has no other switch, nor an on/off button.
    By coincidence his name and initials are very similar to yours. No I do not worry that you are he, as writing frivolous messages like this on a Biz Travel blog would encroach onto his thoughts on money and how to keep it.

capetonianm
    Participant

Without really wishing to prolong the debate about the French and their venal attitude, I would add that I once worked with a French man who calculated the value of everything. He would spend hours of company time and phone calls trying to get the best deal on anything he had to buy for personal use.
    He worked in London with me on a project and when we were invited for dinner to the home of one of the host company managers, he said he would only go if he could take a taxi, at company expense, and be paid overtime.
    He only accepted travel missions if the FFMiles and hotel points suited him.
    His wife was worse.
    He was probably the most mercenary person I have ever had the misfortune to be acquainted with.
    Eventually he was hoisted by his own petard but that is not a story for here.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls