OMG: AA Ad Gets It So Very Wrong

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

I think he’s just messing. Or that’s what he would have told us if the workers’ collective hadn’t turned off his power until 3pm.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

So when will you float on Krug – the strategy you shared from the add-on on your game-boy didn’t get close to the actual BA strategy; the investment module is absolutely dire with BA recently bottoming-out, even the PR plug-in is out of date.

Your sole use in breaking BA sale news was woeful – nearly a month out of synch with reality with BB having to step in – and a far better job she did too, succinct with no hyperbole. Best leave it to her in future.

Power down, unplug and go back to the day job of advertising double glazing (Safestyle UK?) until the simulator gets an upgrade and connections refurbished Krug else you will be of no use to the forum at all.

VintageKrug
    Participant

And still the personal attacks continue from Tete de Cuvee:

—-

Tête_de_cuvée – 08/06/2012 12:19 GMT

So when will you move on Krug – the strategy add-on on your game-boy isn’t even close to the actual BA strategy; the investment module is absolutely dire and even the PR plug-in is out of date. Even your sole use in breaking BA sale news is woeful – nearly a month out of synch with reality. Best to unplug and go back to your day job of advertising double glazing.

Your simulator is in need of an upgrade Krug else you will be of no use to the forum at all.

—-

HongKongLady
    Participant

I like the picture with the bunting and the other link shows some good looking business seats, the 1:2:1 configeration seems to be the way to go although it may compromise a little on the lengh of the seat when it’s flat.
    As for the Jubilee and the Queen she does a fantastic job and she is of course there because of a fluke of birth and an abdication. But we should be proud to have her.
    The celebrations looked amazing and were no more than she deserved.
    I imagine that the stewards were employed on a temporary basis by an events company as is the norm with large events. Some mishap on accomodation unfortunately marred it for those individuals working.
    Loved the flotilla and Madness playing on the roof of Buckingham palace, just sorry I wasn’t there in person.

RichHI1
    Participant

For me two issues. AA mailshot was ill judged for UK. I suspect it was aimed at US and AA and BA elites were included. Lesson to be learned here. If BA had showed the Morley ads in Uk they would have been ridiculed.
    Second point, UK Royals. My personal view is that a RoyL Family is an anachronism and should be retired when the current incumbent passes. That said the institution does generate interest and revenue for the UK and economically it would be a mistake to remove this. I do see a future for the royals in this light but I would hope the hangers on and minor royals can be cut back as any business so thT the focus is on the value creation. The royal family is a symbol of the UK even only as a curiosity. Having President Thatcher or Blair would have been far more divisive even amongst non Royalists. For me the UK Royal Family is here to stay but I believe the role in politics will further diminish and they will assume a more heritage role. The old castles, the pageantry etc. in the 21st Century it will not be unreasonable to cut costs and increase accountability.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Can’t have been aimed at US as prices were in GBP.

RichHI1
    Participant

Inthink they used US campaign and edited currencies for
    UK and European countries. They should have had completely separate campaign for UK with the local Royal association.

alexlondon
    Participant

“When we are spending millions on parties and flotillas yet we are unable to pay the stewards and leave them sleeping under bridges, we really need to look agains at our priorities.”

A bit desperate. The story of stewards being dumped under bridges makes great contrasting coverage to the pomp of the Jubilee. However, several of those who volunteered to steward have been incensed by the negative coverage and actually written to thank the organisers for the opportunity and experience. Whilst Binman may not understand that sentiment, it is wrong to criticise it.

CXDiamond
    Participant

This thread just demonstrates so well what is wrong with this board.

American Airlines place a very honest advert for their angled lie flat seats, they don’t pretend they are anything more or different.

The Chief BA apologist leaps on the advert and posts an antagonistic post and when he fails to get the responses he wants he keeps going drifting the thread until an arguement which serves no useful purpose is going.

At the same time I notice so many regular posters have dropped out over the last few weeks.I wondered about commenting today and then thought I would make a few comments but over recent weeks the content of this board has been drivel.

Well done Business Traveller, you might say you now have the board you deserve.

JohnHarper
    Participant

I thought the AA ad was very honest, it shows what they provide and doesn’t claim to be anything else.

Their service is consistent and they don’t hype and then fail to deliver. Compared to others on the run to the US IMO they are the best.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

RichHT1, I have to take issue with some of your points. A Royal Family may be an anachronism (to some), but personally I think the idea of an apolitical head of state is an extremely attractive one. Even some republics have a similar approach, where the President is simply a figurehead. I much prefer that to a system where too much power is vested in one elected individual (one of our former colonies springs to mind here as an example)

“I would hope the [Royal Family] hangers on and minor royals can be cut back as any business so thT the focus is on the value creation.” I am really not sure what point you are trying to make here. I assume you are not suggesting they should be culled, so perhaps you are saying they should not receive state funding? If so, I have to tell you that they don’t – there is a parliamentary annuity paid to certain senior members of the Royal Family, but the Queen refunds this to the treasury from her personal income. Furthermore, the Queen also surrenders to the Treasury the income from the Crown Estates – in 2010 this was approximately 25 times what she received in public funding. If the Royal Family really was a business, it would be a profitable one.

“For me the UK Royal Family is here to stay but I believe the role in politics will further diminish and they will assume a more heritage role” What role in politics? The Queen has the power to appoint a government, to abolish Parliament, to declare war and a few other political acts, but in practice these powers are heavily fettered by convention. She gives advice to the Prime Minister, but s/he is free to ifnore it. The reality is she plays no active part in politics at all.

Sorry to all for the thread drift, but I didn’t start it!!

Back to the thread – well, I thought the advert was not very well conceived, but I wouldn’t describe it as “Very Wrong”, just rather lame…

RichHI1
    Participant

Ian from HKG moat of your points are ones I was making but in different words.
    I would however distinguish political power and expense. The Monarch has little explicit power in the constitution however like the Grandees of the Tory and Labour pRties, the civil service and many other areas there is a strong power of indirect influence. When the Monarch changes this will have to change as the new monarch will not have 60 years experience as head of state. As regards expense, most of the minor royals had their direct funding cut a while back and the royal household has also been trimmed. There is however still a large budget that does not come under the Queen’s list or the direct pYments to the lesser royals. There are many grace and favour accomodations, upkeep of buildings and institutions, offices and employment directly linked to maintenance of the Royal ethos.
    So as with many thinks, the view from the surface is very different in the detail.
    I have no issue with people wanting a queen. For me it is a matter of personal choice or conviction. I got out of Dodge the Friday before it all started last week and will go to Uk again in few days. I am pleased for those who enjoyed it. Ironically we are celebrating King Kamehameha day today. However this is a historic remembrance as the US put an end to the Royal family when they annexed Hawaii.
    Agree on commercial. The material was straightforward but the campaign was ill thought out for non domestic use. In the US AA campaigns offer betray a regional slant reflecting the DFW HQ.
    Still prefer the classic UK campaign for Electrolux vacuum cleaners,,,”nothing sucks like an electrolux… 🙂

VintageKrug
    Participant

When you see the sorts of Ads other airlines put out, it does make you see the quality in some of the UK-generated content we see.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls