OMG: AA Ad Gets It So Very Wrong

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

An AA Business Class promo has just plopped into my inbox.

This is pretty wide of the mark, especially for a UK target audience:

http://www.aa.com/content/images/email/marketingOneOff/FS-120607-MainImage.jpg

The slopey wedgy bed resplendent in all its 1980s leatherette and polyester glory is proudly displayed as fit for a Queen. Hardly.

A definite marketing fail.

Roll on (and no need to roll off…) their super new fully flat business class:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/airlinereporter/2012/01/30/american-airlines-shows-off-new-boeing-777-300er-interior/

RichHI1
    Participant

Read my post. I believe that would be Kansas City Royals. Different strokes different folks. I am amazed how many folks here are excited about UK Queen, it is amazing. My republican tendencies are subdued, PS hope Philip recovers soon, they are a class double act.

Bullfrog
    Participant

A bright & professional marketeer would realise a promotion using the word ‘Royals’ & the Union jack in the UK market is ‘exactly that’. A UK audience.

It is lovely to have a Royal family that add so much to Great Britain, and I am not surprised or amazed at the excitement generated.

RichHI1
    Participant

Sadly a US promotion that inudes UK recipients is as ill placed as a UK campaign sent to US. Dumb.

Binman62
    Participant

can’t agree bullfrog.. The Queen may indeed add much to the UK but the family absolutely nothing. Moreover when we are spending millions on parties and flotillas yet we are unable to pay the stewards and leave them sleeping under bridges, we really need to look agains at our priorities.

The ad does not look like it was aimed at a UK audience but at Americans. Will not make any difference however as the Olympics will kill off tourism UK wide this year as people avoid the UK, Royal family not withstanding.

RichHI1
    Participant

I am afraid you are right. The scalping oF hotel rates is disgusting. If it were unions the right wing would Be threatening legal action.

Bullfrog
    Participant

“Fair dinkum Binman” .. although I would include the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

BlackTower
    Participant

Did they go on and on about their sheepskin and hot nuts?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Where are the Corgis?

VintageKrug
    Participant

The Royal Family add more to this country and the Commonwealth than most posters here ever will.

The massive good done by the Prince of Wales’ charities alone cannot simply be cast aside with a frankly ignorant “absolutely nothing”.

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/personalprofiles/theprinceofwales/atwork/theprincescharities/

“We” did not spend millions on parties and flotillas; the Thames Pageant was entirely privately funded, and the international TV coverage alone was worth many more millions than the security operation would have cost.

Frankly it was the least we could have done after a lifetime of service.

Naturally, the poster focuses on one single logistical cock up involving tens of people to negate a celebration enjoyed by millions.

Welcome to the glass half empty world…

Binman62
    Participant

A hereditary Monarchy is anachronistic. We should not be limiting ambition through discrimination on the grounds of birth or religion and the British Royal family does both.

Millions everyday provide their toil for the work of charities in the UK and have neither the resources nor staff to have such extensive web sites.

Given the unimaginable life of privilege enjoyed through nothing more than an accident of birth it is frankly the least they can do. Moreover he and the family can continue to do so in a private capacity,unsupported directly or indirectly by the UK taxpayer. 

And as for the privately funded flotilla. 

The stewards were unemployed, unpaid and dumped in London in the rain at 3 am having been driven from Bristol,Plymouth and other parts of the country. They did it, believing it might provide them with future job opportunities, yet they were exploited and abused. New Zealand TV reported that NZ participants got hypothermia on Sunday and one can only be appalled at how these people, keen to work and willing to travel to do so, were treated…..at least anyone with an ounce of compassion would be.

So whilst some slept soundly in the Savoy the unacceptable face of capitalism was hard at work under the bridge just a few yards away exploiting the vulnerable and providing the foundations for future charitable support.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Oh, please.

What a twisted world view.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Binman is right, countries that host the olympics suffer a drop in visitor numbers. It’s just one expensive farce.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Binman are you being serious or just messing? x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls