NSB (Norway) Trains – Bad Customer Service

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Anonymous

JordanD
    Participant

We’re often quick to point out bad customer service here in the UK on travel undertaken with the various (mostly private) TOCs. Wanted to share some poor customer service from Norway from last week (I’ve given NSB a week to fix the situation, and they failed).

I was travelling from Oslo Central station (Oslo S) to Oslo Lufthavn [Gardermoen Airport] on the NSB service. These trains are less frequent than the equally fast Airport Express [Flytoget] service, and are about half the price. They are mostly trains transiting through the Oslo region with trains to the airport often going onto Lillehammer, some 2.5hrs journey from the airport.

On getting off the train at OSL, I realised I had left my winter gloves onboard whilst unloading the luggage, realising as the train was pulling away. As I knew exactly which coach/seat/door I was sat at, I headed straight to the NSB counter inside, to ask for assistance. Unfortunately the staff there couldn’t be bothered, and said they couldn’t contact the onboard train manager/conductor. This is despite NSB highlighting how all onboard staff have PDAs provided to them to allow them contact from the company.

Instead I was told that I would have to call the Oslo Central Lost Luggage and report it. So I did, hoping that they would contact the staff on the train (which still had 2hrs to go to its destination). Instead, I was told by the staff that if I “wanted to log a missing item, I must e-mail” … and then they hung up. One week later, I get a response to the e-mail which reads, in full: “I am sorry to say, we have not received Your gloves” [sic]

Compare/contrast with GNER (as was): having left my wallet onboard by accident. A call to their customer service team and they contacted the onboard staff, who found my wallet, and then called me directly. She informed me she’d be coming back through the station in question (Edinburgh) later that day, and would meet me on the platform whilst the train boarded. 3hrs later, wallet was back in my hands. Top service.

x2000traveller
    Participant

Comiserations, but I think you would get pretty much the same response across Europe even on SBB. GNER was the exception: they really looked after their staff well, managed them, trained them and the difference was very clear everytime one used it. Too bad it all went to hell in a handcart in the succeeding six years …. !

NTarrant
    Participant

I would agree that GNER was the exception rather than the rule. I once travelled from York to KX and there were beer cans on the table throughout the journey (the train had started from Newcastle). I wrote to GNER and complained and asked why they didn’t do regular walk through collecting rubbish like they do on Virgin. I recevived a reply saying they would look into it. A colleague informed me that they started doing rubbish collections three weeks later. The response took on boardcmy comments an gave a positive reply.

Unlike NX and now East Coast who won’t allow you in the first class lounge with an advance ticket.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

NTarrant

The rules are quite clear with Advance tickets

“Our First Class Lounges are open to customers who hold one of the following ticket types:

Fully inter-available First Class Season Ticket (i.e. tickets not specific to one train company)
    Any First Class Anytime ticket valid for travel on the East Coast route
    Any East Coast First Class packages
    Holders of a First Class Lounge supplement, available for purchase with a East Coast First Advance ticket or First Class reader offer
    Holders of East Coast Rewards One Day First Class Lounge Pass (no ticket required)

Please be aware that First Advance and Weekend First tickets are not entitled to use the First Class Lounges. If travelling on a First Advance ticket, you can purchase a £5 supplement ticket, which allows you access into the First Class Lounge. This can be purchased on the day of travel at any East Coast Travel Centre, or at the time of booking your ticket online.”

So it’s not true to say that East Coast won’t let you in, but you do have to pay £5 extra for the privilege, which I have done and it was a good deal, IMHO, compared to buying a sandwich and coffee outside.

JordanD
    Participant

NTarrant – not sure the comment on EC rings true, if the recent “The Railways” BBC documentary is anything to go by, which showed a number of good customer service moments (including reconciling a lost bag with its owner).

Regarding my initial point – it was more a comment on how organisations could try and be more proactive (in the UK and abroad), using the tools and technologies available to them.

NTarrant
    Participant

FDoS – the £5.00 supplement is a recent introduction, if you note I said NX and now East Coast, I had forgotten the introduction of the £5.00 supplement, thanks for reminding me. I would agree that £5.00 for a coffee and a sandwich is cheaper than buying the same from a station outlet.

However, in comparison to East Midlands Trains, Virgin and First Great Western who allow any first class ticket holder into thier lounges, the East Coast deal is quite poor.

JordanD – Whilst the BBC documentry showed a number of good customer care episodes, it has been slated in the trade press for the poor bits, such as the large built ticket office guy with his offish manner with customers.

Overall East Coast is okay, but not GNER which set a high standard and maintained it.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“However, in comparison to East Midlands Trains, Virgin and First Great Western who allow any first class ticket holder into thier lounges, the East Coast deal is quite poor.”

True, but BA charge people for seat reservation in business and other airlines don’t ,just different rules for different companies.

NTarrant
    Participant

Once upon a time one had to pay for seat reservations on trains in any class. BA, not that it has any relevance to this thread, or indeed any other airline don’t turn you away from the lounge if you have a first or business ticket on an advance or restricted service ticket.

The point is that there is unlimited access to EMT, Virgin and FGW lounges but there isn’t to East Coast, therefore the brand does not look as customer friendly than the others IMHO.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“just different rules for different companies”

Agreed that EC does not look as friendly as the others.

Neither does BA, but each company sets its rules and we decide whether to buy or not.

NTarrant
    Participant

“just different rules for different companies”

Sorry FDoS but I don’t see your point on this or what BA has got to do with it either. You are very good at comparing but find it difficult to accept others have opinions.

GuyBetsy
    Participant

Losing a pair of gloves vs your wallet (with important documentation) is entirely different.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Not wishing to give anyone a lesson on Customer Service, but unless it comes from the top down, it wont change. If it takes a compliant to get a company to send someone through a train to clear empty beer cans, it really sums things up.

IF a company is interested in proactive Customer Relations, such as lost property, the message will come down from the top. Clearly, the NSB team had no desire to help (or simply couldn’t be bothered).

Jordan, I hope the gloves were expensive enough to make an Insurance claim worthwhile….

capetonianm
    Participant

Talking of lost property and trains here’s excellent service.

A few weeks ago I got a take away tea and some cake from the Pumpkin Cafe (they’re on most big stations) at Newcastle whilst waiting for a train to Edinburgh. It was just before 6 and the place was closing and I’d exchanged my few words of basic Polish with the chap whilst he was making my tea, thanked him, and went off with my small backpack on my back but not realised I’d left my other bag, with money, laptop, keys, passport, phone… etc, in there.

Ten minutes later I’m sitting at a platform on the other side of the station and this chap comes over to me – with my case. He’d spent ten minutes looking for me, tried to phone me on the number that was on the label but heard my ‘phone ringing inside the case, and took it upon himself to find me in his own time before taking the case to lost property

Needless to say the loss of the case and its contents would have been gravely inconvenient to say the least.

I did write to Pumpkin head office commending him and I do hope it was passed on to him. It always amazes me the extremes of good and bad service that we can encounter in the same environment.

Shearer
    Participant

The Virgin Trains first class lounge at Euston is very poor.

I’d rather they went down to EastCoast route and limited access and made it more special.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls